TOTAL NEWB! How to get a domain... - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on TOTAL NEWB! How to get a domain... - TCP-IP ; I have a domain in mind and want to register it with ICANN. However, I understand places like godaddy will actually write the agreement to the effect that godaddy owns it and I just lease it. I want to own ...

  1. TOTAL NEWB! How to get a domain...

    I have a domain in mind and want to register it with ICANN. However,
    I understand places like godaddy will actually write the agreement to
    the effect that godaddy owns it and I just lease it. I want to own
    it. Please tell me how I can do this? I am starting from nothing
    more than a name right now.

    THANKS

    John

  2. Re: TOTAL NEWB! How to get a domain...

    In article ,
    CodeMonkey wrote:
    >I have a domain in mind and want to register it with ICANN. However,
    >I understand places like godaddy will actually write the agreement to
    >the effect that godaddy owns it and I just lease it.

    No, the registrar you select maintains the whois registry and will
    update the DNS records at the TLD servers for you but (provided you
    keep renewing it) you own it and can transfer the domain maintenance
    to another registrar if you decide to do so.

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

  3. Re: TOTAL NEWB! How to get a domain...

    Nobody "owns" the domain name, any more than a trademark holder owns the
    words which comprise the trademark. You have the exclusive right to use
    it for certain purposes.

    RFC 1591:
    Concerns about "rights" and "ownership" of domains are inappropriate.
    It is appropriate to be concerned about "responsibilities" and
    "service" to the community.

    Keep in mind that "your" domain name is maintained by name servers all over
    the net. If anyone at DGP looks up your domain name, _my_ name servers are
    part of what delivers the DNS data to them from you. At best you own a tiny
    fraction of all of the hardware involved in maintaining your domain name.

+ Reply to Thread