ip over ip - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on ip over ip - TCP-IP ; Hi, In the case of IP over IP, if there is an error while processing a datagram, it should return an error message to the encapsulator at the IP source of the tunnel which inturn would send an ICMP message ...

  1. ip over ip

    Hi,

    In the case of IP over IP, if there is an error while processing a
    datagram,
    it should return an error message to the encapsulator at the IP
    source of the tunnel which inturn would send an ICMP message to
    the orginating host .
    But, how is it handled ?

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  2. Re: ip over ip

    On Sunday 21 September 2008 12:45, karthikbalaguru wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > In the case of IP over IP, if there is an error while processing a
    > datagram,
    > it should return an error message to the encapsulator at the IP
    > source of the tunnel which inturn would send an ICMP message to
    > the orginating host .
    > But, how is it handled ?

    I suppose you're referring to ICMP messages.
    The ICMP message might not contain enough information for the tunnel
    endpoint to be able to properly identify the original sender of the
    unencapsulated packet.
    RFC 2003, sections 4 and 5, explains how the encapsulator might deal with
    the problem.

  3. Re: ip over ip

    Hi,

    > I suppose you're referring to ICMP messages.
    > The ICMP message might not contain enough information for the tunnel
    > endpoint to be able to properly identify the original sender of the
    > unencapsulated packet.
    > RFC 2003, sections 4 and 5, explains how the encapsulator might deal with
    > the problem.

    And, also, I'm not sure there is ICMP messages. For IP over IP, the
    second IP can be added by an intermediate provider, in a connection
    oriented mode, through RSVP.

    Best regards,
    Michelot

+ Reply to Thread