sending an attachment with SMTP. - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on sending an attachment with SMTP. - TCP-IP ; I want to connect to an smtp server (in code/c++) and send an email. SMTP looks really easy to communicate with and I've managed to send a simple email but I'm at a loss as to how I would format ...

  1. sending an attachment with SMTP.

    I want to connect to an smtp server (in code/c++) and send an email.
    SMTP looks really easy to communicate with and I've managed to send a
    simple email but I'm at a loss as to how I would format an attachment
    and send it using smtp.
    Can someone point me to or explain to me how I would encode a binary
    attachment and send it with the mail?

    TIA.

  2. Re: sending an attachment with SMTP.

    In article
    <546b5256-9c48-4ca6-a998-1ad0b8543e89@b30g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    SpreadTooThin wrote:

    > I want to connect to an smtp server (in code/c++) and send an email.
    > SMTP looks really easy to communicate with and I've managed to send a
    > simple email but I'm at a loss as to how I would format an attachment
    > and send it using smtp.
    > Can someone point me to or explain to me how I would encode a binary
    > attachment and send it with the mail?
    >
    > TIA.

    See the RFCs on MIME, Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions. The
    Wikipedia page has descriptions and links.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA