High NP Pool on windows ~ performance degradation - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on High NP Pool on windows ~ performance degradation - TCP-IP ; Hi ~ I'm not sure if this is the right group to post this in, but since this is related to tcp-ip socket communication I am hoping someone may help. I have a server application written in C# ,net framework ...

  1. High NP Pool on windows ~ performance degradation

    Hi ~

    I'm not sure if this is the right group to post this in, but since
    this is related to tcp-ip socket communication I am hoping someone may
    help.

    I have a server application written in C# ,net framework 2.0 running
    on windows xp embedded

    The server uses asynchronous socket communication to accept connection
    from clients and receive/send data.

    After a while the server becomes slow, and task manager indicates high
    NP pool around 2MB.. high Handles ~ 200, and Mem usage ~ 40MB, with
    CPU usage flickering between 15-25%

    After searching online, I see that a high NP Pool is indicative of
    memory leak, probably I think related to the asynchronous approach of
    socket communication.

    Anybody please has an idea how to approach or resolve this problem?

    Cheers

  2. Re: High NP Pool on windows ~ performance degradation

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:24:35 -0700 (PDT), CLiJC wrote:
    > Hi ~
    >
    > I'm not sure if this is the right group to post this in, but since
    > this is related to tcp-ip socket communication I am hoping someone may
    > help.
    >
    > I have a server application written in C# ,net framework 2.0 running
    > on windows xp embedded
    >
    > The server uses asynchronous socket communication to accept connection
    > from clients and receive/send data.
    >
    > After a while the server becomes slow, and task manager indicates high
    > NP pool around 2MB.. high Handles ~ 200, and Mem usage ~ 40MB, with
    > CPU usage flickering between 15-25%
    >
    > After searching online, I see that a high NP Pool is indicative of
    > memory leak, probably I think related to the asynchronous approach of
    > socket communication.

    Can't it be that you create object so fast that the garbage collector
    cannot keep up? I have never used CG languages, but ...

    > Anybody please has an idea how to approach or resolve this problem?

    (I googled: "NP Pool" is approximately "a part of a process's heap
    which isn't allowed to be swapped to disk". Why one would disallow
    that, I have no idea.)

    The memory leak is in your /application/, so there's little chance
    that people here can help you without the source code[1]. I think you
    are better off asking at a .NET newsgroup, and/or finding out what
    memory debugging tools are available.

    /Jorgen

    [1] And I guess few people here know C# and whatever API it uses for
    TCP.

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn \X/ snipabacken.se> R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

+ Reply to Thread