GetAddrInfo not returning ipv6 addresses on Windows XP 32 bit SP3 ??? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on GetAddrInfo not returning ipv6 addresses on Windows XP 32 bit SP3 ??? - TCP-IP ; Hello, My software wants to build a list op ipv4 and ipv6 addresses which are associated with interfaces. The current code does it as follows: step1. gethostname( ... ) step2. hint: af_unspec hint: ipproto_ip hint: ai_passive or ai_canonname; getaddrinfo( ... ...

  1. GetAddrInfo not returning ipv6 addresses on Windows XP 32 bit SP3 ???

    Hello,

    My software wants to build a list op ipv4 and ipv6 addresses which are
    associated with interfaces.

    The current code does it as follows:

    step1. gethostname( ... )

    step2.
    hint: af_unspec
    hint: ipproto_ip
    hint: ai_passive or ai_canonname;
    getaddrinfo( ... )

    step3. walk Result + GetNameInfo (numerichost) on Result.

    On Windows XP x64 this works.

    On Windows XP x86 this does not work ?

    The ipv6 stack is installed it says so in networking...

    I am bit tired at the moment... any ideas except taking a sleep ?

    Kinda sux that it's not working.

    Anybody have some ipv6<->interface list code working on XP x86 ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  2. Re: GetAddrInfo not returning ipv6 addresses on Windows XP 32 bit SP3 ???

    For now I will assume GetAddrInfo has a bug on windows xp x86... it seems
    confirmed by somebody else who contacted microsoft... (in 2007... not fixed
    yet ?) it would make sense that it's a bug since it is working on xp x64.

    However I would still like to supply my users with ipv6 addresses... in case
    they want to specify a specific address... at least my app already has ipv6
    any... but that's not good enough for me... I want more...

    So tomorrow I will try the "get adapters addresses" method... and maybe I
    can just snatch those ipv6 addresses of it and place it in a list... then
    the user can select one of those and hopefully it will bind properly via
    winsock !

    More on this tomorrow !

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  3. Re: GetAddrInfo not returning ipv6 addresses on Windows XP 32 bit SP3 ???

    Ok,

    The solution described works even better... except it doesn't work on
    windows 95.. so for that it needs to switch to the old codepath... and
    that's ok too

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

+ Reply to Thread