TCP without IP - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on TCP without IP - TCP-IP ; Hi, I have read in some books as follows :- Theoretically, you could have TCP without IP, some other n/w mechanism besides IP could deliver the data to an address, and TCP could still verify and sequence that data can ...

  1. TCP without IP

    Hi,

    I have read in some books as follows :-

    Theoretically, you could have TCP without IP, some other n/w mechanism
    besides IP could deliver the data to an address, and TCP could still
    verify and sequence that data

    can any one give examples for this ?

  2. Re: TCP without IP

    aarklon@gmail.com writes:

    >Hi,

    >I have read in some books as follows :-

    >Theoretically, you could have TCP without IP, some other n/w mechanism
    >besides IP could deliver the data to an address, and TCP could still
    >verify and sequence that data

    >can any one give examples for this ?

    Look into this http://www.silversoft.net/projects.html for "TCP over SMTP"

    matthias

  3. Re: TCP without IP

    In article ,
    aarklon@gmail.com writes:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have read in some books as follows :-
    >
    > Theoretically, you could have TCP without IP, some other n/w mechanism
    > besides IP could deliver the data to an address, and TCP could still
    > verify and sequence that data
    >
    > can any one give examples for this ?

    TCP over IPv6. The only protocol change required is in the format
    of the pseudo-header.

  4. Re: TCP without IP

    Matthias Apitz wrote:
    > aarklon@gmail.com writes:
    >
    >> Hi,

    >> I have read in some books as follows :-

    >> Theoretically, you could have TCP without IP, some other n/w mechanism
    >> besides IP could deliver the data to an address, and TCP could still
    >> verify and sequence that data

    >> can any one give examples for this ?

    > Look into this http://www.silversoft.net/projects.html for "TCP over SMTP"
    >
    > matthias

    You need an OSI level 3 protocol to deliver the data over the network.
    SMTP won't do that.

    The link for that project was for a Tunnel. That means IP is still being
    used.

    Please. Get a grip.

  5. Re: TCP without IP

    On Aug 14, 5:11*am, Intuitive wrote:
    > Matthias Apitz wrote:
    > > aark...@gmail.com writes:

    > >> Hi,

    > >> I have read in some books as follows :-

    > >> Theoretically, you could have TCP without IP, some other n/w mechanism
    > >> besides IP could deliver the data to an address, and TCP could still
    > >> verify and sequence that data

    > >> can any one give examples for this ?

    > > Look into thishttp://www.silversoft.net/projects.htmlfor "TCP over SMTP"

    > > * *matthias

    > You need an OSI level 3 protocol to deliver the data over the network.
    > SMTP won't do that.
    >
    > The link for that project was for a Tunnel. That means IP is still being
    > used.
    >
    > Please. Get a grip.

    While SMTP requires TCP, mail certainly doesn't require SMTP.

  6. Re: TCP without IP

    Hi,

    You right, you could use TCP without IP, TCP over Ethernet but I've
    never found such an implementation.

    Pizaninja

    On Aug 13, 11:30 am, aark...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have read in some books as follows :-
    >
    > Theoretically, you could have TCP without IP, some other n/w mechanism
    > besides IP could deliver the data to an address, and TCP could still
    > verify and sequence that data
    >
    > can any one give examples for this ?

+ Reply to Thread