Hidden router in tracert results? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Hidden router in tracert results? - TCP-IP ; Gurus, I was doing a tracert the other day and while all "hops" reported back, including the destination, my default gateway was not in the list of hops. What would cause that? -- Spin...

  1. Hidden router in tracert results?

    --
    Spin

  2. Re: Hidden router in tracert results?

    In article <6gdkbuFfcie5U1@mid.individual.net>, Spin wrote:

    >I was doing a tracert the other day and while all "hops" reported back,
    >including the destination, my default gateway was not in the list of hops.
    >What would cause that?

    For whatever reason, the default gateway is not checking or decrementing
    the TTL field.

    It is not uncommon for firewalls to leave the TTL field unchanged.

  3. Re: Hidden router in tracert results?

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:17:28 -0400, Spin wrote:

    > Gurus,
    >
    > I was doing a tracert the other day and while all "hops" reported back,
    > including the destination, my default gateway was not in the list of
    > hops. What would cause that?

    Either it did respond, but with a different address than you expected, or
    it plays games with TTL. I suspect the first.

    HTH,
    M4

  4. Re: Hidden router in tracert results?

    Hello,

    Martijn Lievaart a écrit :
    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:17:28 -0400, Spin wrote:
    >
    >>Gurus,

    Who's that ?

    >>I was doing a tracert the other day and while all "hops" reported back,
    >>including the destination, my default gateway was not in the list of
    >>hops. What would cause that?

    > Either it did respond, but with a different address than you expected, or
    > it plays games with TTL.

    Or the previous hop plays with TTL, or just omits to decrement it.

+ Reply to Thread