Gmail Reverse IP lookup... - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Gmail Reverse IP lookup... - TCP-IP ; I have been getting some mest up e-mails from someone and I need to prove that I know who it is.. but gmail blocks the IP addreess when it mails them out..Please any help would be great.....

  1. Gmail Reverse IP lookup...

    I have been getting some mest up e-mails from someone and I need to
    prove that I know who it is.. but gmail blocks the IP addreess when it
    mails them out..Please any help would be great..

  2. Re: Gmail Reverse IP lookup...

    In article
    <8eb5ea4b-5b65-4269-9456-de4ee4d5eefd@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
    nokesphoto@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have been getting some mest up e-mails from someone and I need to
    > prove that I know who it is.. but gmail blocks the IP addreess when it
    > mails them out..Please any help would be great..

    You probably need Google's assistance. They should be able to look up
    the originating IP given the message ID.

    But unless you have access to their ISP's records, how are you going to
    prove that this IP belongs to that someone?

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Gmail Reverse IP lookup...

    Most public email (read that as "free" accounts), generally use some form
    of NAT, because there are not enough IP addresses to give out free email
    accounts, assigned to specific persons.

    However, there are other identifiers within the header that will
    specifically ID the sender. As mentioned - especially if you have several
    copies of messages sent by your tormenter - you can track these identifiers
    through the header. Once you find the ID, you should be able to track/ID
    this person, with a little effort and some research.

    wrote in message
    >I have been getting some mest up e-mails from someone and I need to
    > prove that I know who it is.. but gmail blocks the IP addreess when it
    > mails them out..Please any help would be great..

  4. Re: Gmail Reverse IP lookup...

    In article ,
    beoweolf wrote:
    >Most public email (read that as "free" accounts), generally use some form
    >of NAT, because there are not enough IP addresses to give out free email
    >accounts, assigned to specific persons.

    That makes no technical sense. Free mail systems such as Gmail are not
    run by ISPs. NAT in general has nothing to do with free mail accounts
    because free mail providers do not in general assign IP addresses to
    their users. (Yes, there are exceptions, but Google is still not a
    major ISP and the mail accounts provided by PacBell (ATT) are not "free"
    by any sane definition.)

    >However, there are other identifiers within the header that will
    >specifically ID the sender. As mentioned - especially if you have several
    >copies of messages sent by your tormenter - you can track these identifiers
    >through the header. Once you find the ID, you should be able to track/ID
    >this person, with a little effort and some research.

    Generous readers will find a grain of truth in that paragraph. Others
    will just as accurately see it as nonsense in the style of Cliff Claven.

    The most you can confidently do is identify the first reasonably
    trustworty MTA in the path a mail mail message took to your mailbox.
    Getting more information is likely to require using legal papers to try
    to force the operator of that first MTA to tell you something about the
    IP address. For example, your lawyers might be able to force Google
    to tell you that a given mail message came from a PacBell IP address.
    You would then serve papers on ATT (SBC) and rely on the unrealistic
    hope that ATT still has good records of which customer had that IP
    address and that customer's computer was not part of a botnet. It it
    was "owned," then you might well have no real clues.

    There exceptions, such as when a stupid malefactor fails to strip
    Microsoft Windows GUIDs from a virus or worm, but the stupid often
    make their identities obvious without diving into the cybercrud.

    Vernon Schryver vjs@rhyolite.com

+ Reply to Thread