HTTP Proxy Authorization header, request for sample... - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on HTTP Proxy Authorization header, request for sample... - TCP-IP ; Hi, ENV: Visual C++ with Visual Studio 8, MFC Can somebody give me a sample or two for proxy authorization HTTP header? Lets say that I have username as USERNAME, password as PASS then will header string literal be more ...

  1. HTTP Proxy Authorization header, request for sample...

    Hi,

    ENV: Visual C++ with Visual Studio 8, MFC

    Can somebody give me a sample or two for proxy authorization HTTP
    header? Lets say that I have username as USERNAME, password as PASS
    then will header string literal be more or less like below ones? Or
    base64 encryption is must for password?

    Authorization = Base USERNAME : PASS

    Or say like:

    Authorization = USERNAME : PASS

    Any words on alternative to 'Base' [which I did not get completely
    looking at HTTP documentation] and base64 encryption will be quite
    useful.

    Thanks for your time

    KA

  2. Re: HTTP Proxy Authorization header, request for sample...

    Hi,

    base64 is not really an encryption algorithm as it doesn't involve any
    secret/public key. It is just an encoding mechanism. Anybody who is
    sitting in the middle of Client and Server can easily get to know the
    user name and password by decoding the packet contents.

    You can use Ethereal/WireShark Tool to capture the IP packets that are
    going on the wire and find the details/syntax about HTTP basic (realm)
    authentication mechanism.

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network...Ethereal.shtml

    You may be already knowing that you will have to send user and
    password with each request made to server.

    Neo
    Techpulp Technologies
    http://techpulp.com/

    On Jul 31, 5:56 pm, Kedar Agarkar wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > ENV: Visual C++ with Visual Studio 8, MFC
    >
    > Can somebody give me a sample or two for proxy authorization HTTP
    > header? Lets say that I have username as USERNAME, password as PASS
    > then will header string literal be more or less like below ones? Or
    > base64 encryption is must for password?
    >
    > Authorization = Base USERNAME : PASS
    >
    > Or say like:
    >
    > Authorization = USERNAME : PASS
    >
    > Any words on alternative to 'Base' [which I did not get completely
    > looking at HTTP documentation] and base64 encryption will be quite
    > useful.
    >
    > Thanks for your time
    >
    > KA

  3. Re: HTTP Proxy Authorization header, request for sample...

    Thanks Neo for your reply.

    Regards

    KA

  4. Re: HTTP Proxy Authorization header, request for sample...

    See section 2 of RFC 2617.

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2617.txt

    Authorization: Basic QWxhZGRpbjpvcGVuIHNlc2FtZQ==

    You can find Base64 code/decode forms on the web.

+ Reply to Thread