Is an OID simply a row inside the MIB database? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Is an OID simply a row inside the MIB database? - TCP-IP ; Gurus, Is an OID simply a row inside the MIB database? And is the MIB DB something that resides on the SNMP trap receiver or something that resides on the SNMP trap sender? -- Spin...

  1. Is an OID simply a row inside the MIB database?

    --
    Spin

  2. Re: Is an OID simply a row inside the MIB database?

    In article <6f332vF9gr0cU1@mid.individual.net>, Spin wrote:

    >Is an OID simply a row inside the MIB database?

    No. There are OIDs that are not in any MIB database, because the full
    OID is dynamically generated state information. For example, there
    might be an OID for ethernet MAC to port translation: there is
    no MIB database that is going to list all possible MACs just so
    as to be able to say that the full OID is "a row inside the MIB database".

    >And is the MIB DB something
    >that resides on the SNMP trap receiver or something that resides on the SNMP
    >trap sender?

    No. MIB databases have existance independant of SNMP Traps.

  3. Re: Is an OID simply a row inside the MIB database?

    I hear people in the company's monitoring group talking of MIBs a lot.
    Saying stuff like "you need a MIB for that, MIB for this". Where do these
    MIBs get placed?

  4. Re: Is an OID simply a row inside the MIB database?

    In article <6f4vocF9a3htU1@mid.individual.net>, Spin wrote:
    >I hear people in the company's monitoring group talking of MIBs a lot.
    >Saying stuff like "you need a MIB for that, MIB for this". Where do these
    >MIBs get placed?

    Anywhere.

    MIBs are translations between numeric names (OIDs) and human
    readable names. You do not need a MIB to place an SNMP query
    or to receive an SNMP trap: the protocol works based upon the
    numeric values, so if you happen to know the right numeric OID
    to query or happen to know what the numeric values mean coming back,
    then you do not need a MIB.

    However, there are a lot of device- dependant (or manufacturer
    dependant) SNMP queries, whose numeric values are more or less
    unrepredictable, and if you do not have a MIB or some other
    information source for translating between numeric and human readable
    then it can be difficult to figure out what you should ask for or
    what the results you got back mean.

    In the context of a monitoring group, they are probably talking about
    needing a MIB on the querying equipment so as to know what numeric
    values to query for, and they are probably talking about needing
    a MIB on the interpretation equipment (which might be the same device)
    so as to know what the results meant. Their monitoring software probably
    knows how to read MIBs. But you don't *need* MIBs... if you can
    find a non-MIB source of information about what you should query
    and about what the returning results would mean. I've programmed
    monitoring software that didn't use MIBs, but it sure did help to
    have MIBs around to figure out what the right numeric values to
    query (the OIDs) were.

+ Reply to Thread