Need a stress test tool - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Need a stress test tool - TCP-IP ; Hi All, I have a message processing application to test. Clients availing of the services provided by this application over the internet are required to authenticate before they can receive published messages. I need a stress test tool that can ...

  1. Need a stress test tool

    Hi All,

    I have a message processing application to test.

    Clients availing of the services provided by this application over the
    internet are required to authenticate before they can receive
    published messages. I need a stress test tool that can generate
    several connection sessions at the same time.

    The operating system used for the application is Windows 2k3
    Enterprise Edition.

    Could someone please suggest to me a good tool for that purpose?

    Thanks in advance!!!

    Abu Yahya

  2. Re: Need a stress test tool

    This may or may not fit your needs, but the open source z390 portable
    mainframe assembler package written entirely in J2SE Java which runs
    on Windows and Linux has support for multiple connection client server
    SOA type applications using sockets over any TCP/IP network. The
    assembler source includes TCPIO macro and corresponding svc whihc
    invokes J2SE client or server multiple connection sockets support.

    If you install z390 v1.4.01 from z390.sourceforge.net (Installshield
    for WIndows and file image zip for Linux), you will find SOA demos and
    utilities.
    For more information on z390 SOA support for assembler and COBOL
    visit:

    http://z390.sourceforge.net/z390_SOA..._Assembler.htm

    In the z390\soa\test directory you will find 2 network message testing
    programs which you can assemble, link, and execute using z390. The
    first TESTMSGS.MLC is a 66 source line server program that has a wait
    loop for new connections and messages from multiple clients which it
    simply receives and echos back to the client. The second TESTMSGC.MLC
    is a 100 line source client program that has a wait loop for command
    input to send message to specified server port, wait for response,
    display response time, and repeat. These programs can be used as is
    to test sending messages from any number of concurrent clients to any
    number of concurrent servers running on a TCP/IP network using user
    specified ports and no security or other framework requirements.

    These programs could be easily reconfigures to do network load testing
    similar to what was done on a Florida Power and Accenture
    implementation of new client server customer system in 1995 over TCP/
    IP network with IBM/CICS/DB2 host and 1200 Windows NT clients. A
    similar host program was run on IBM mainframe which echoed messages to
    any client and also accepted console commands to change delay time for
    clients at multiple sites (3 telephone centers and 40+ district
    offices in Florida). Once all the clients were up and running waiting
    for next response, then the delay time on the host was gradulally
    decreased until the network load reached capacity and the servier
    choked. The first few times we did this test which required
    scheduling folks for a late evening test period, we discovered a
    memory leak in the HP servers connected to TCP/IP network and IBM 37xx
    controllers. Once that got fixed we were able to bring the network to
    full load. The test was well worth the effort in order to have
    successful system launch on March 17, 1995 with subsecond response and
    no network system crashes:

    http://home.tampabay.rr.com/dhiggin1/css.htm

    Hope this helps with at lease one idea on how to do a network load
    test.

    Don Higgins
    don@higgins.net

    On Jun 8, 1:38*pm, coder wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a message processing application to test.
    >
    > Clients availing of the services provided by this application over the
    > internet are required to authenticate before they can receive
    > published messages. I need a stress test tool that can generate
    > several connection sessions at the same time.
    >
    > The operating system used for the application is Windows 2k3
    > Enterprise Edition.
    >
    > Could someone please suggest to me a good tool for that purpose?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!!!
    >
    > Abu Yahya

  3. Re: Need a stress test tool

    On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 10:38:29 -0700 (PDT), coder wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a message processing application to test.
    >
    > Clients availing of the services provided by this application over the
    > internet are required to authenticate before they can receive
    > published messages. I need a stress test tool that can generate
    > several connection sessions at the same time.
    >
    > The operating system used for the application is Windows 2k3
    > Enterprise Edition.
    >
    > Could someone please suggest to me a good tool for that purpose?

    You have implemented a new protocol and a server for that protocol?
    Then I think your best option is to write the stress test tool
    yourself. Second choice: ask whoever is writing the client to do it.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn \X/ snipabacken.se> R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

  4. Re: Need a stress test tool

    Look into OpenSTA - http://www.opensta.org/

    --
    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio