Traceroute question - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Traceroute question - TCP-IP ; Hello: I am puzzled at what I get when I do a traceroute command on facebook.com. Below is the return of a TRACERT command on a MS DOS prompt: Tracing route to facebook.com [69.63.176.140] over a maximum of 30 hops: ...

  1. Traceroute question

    Hello:

    I am puzzled at what I get when I do a traceroute command on
    facebook.com.
    Below is the return of a TRACERT command on a MS DOS prompt:

    Tracing route to facebook.com [69.63.176.140]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 2 ms 2 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 * * * Request timed out.
    3 12 ms 12 ms 7 ms rd1bb-ge3-0-0-2.vc.shawcable.net
    [64.59.159.2]
    4 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms rc2bb-tge0-7-0-0.vc.shawcable.net
    [66.163.69.145]
    5 14 ms 19 ms 15 ms rc2wt-pos1-0.wa.shawcable.net
    [66.163.76.142]
    6 60 ms 50 ms 53 ms rc2sj-pos4-0-0.cl.shawcable.net
    [66.163.77.110]
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.
    14 * * * Request timed out.
    15 * * * Request timed out.
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 * * * Request timed out.
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 * * * Request timed out.
    24 * * * Request timed out.
    25 * * * Request timed out.
    26 * * * Request timed out.
    27 * * * Request timed out.
    28 * * * Request timed out.
    29 * * * Request timed out.
    30 * * * Request timed out.

    Trace complete.

    --------------------------

    If I disable the DNS , all nodes after 6 still timeout.
    Other traceroutes ( to Google, etc.) return nodes' IPs ok.
    Is this normal ??

    Thanks.

    Ed.

  2. Re: Traceroute question

    eDog writes:

    [...]

    > If I disable the DNS , all nodes after 6 still timeout.
    > Other traceroutes ( to Google, etc.) return nodes' IPs ok.
    > Is this normal ??

    It's not abnormal. It generally means that a firewall sits somewhere
    after the last hop you and blocks your probe packets or the replies,
    or that the hops after the last are configured with unroutable IP
    addresses (perhaps behind a NAT device).

    -----Scott.

+ Reply to Thread