how to route all traffic of a program through a particular networkinterface - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on how to route all traffic of a program through a particular networkinterface - TCP-IP ; I have two network interface connecting to different ISPs. The first interface have large bandwidth and also high ping value, the other have small bandwidth and very low ping value. Whenever I use a download manager to download, I found ...

  1. how to route all traffic of a program through a particular networkinterface

    I have two network interface connecting to different ISPs. The
    first interface have large bandwidth and also high ping value, the
    other have small bandwidth and very low ping value.

    Whenever I use a download manager to download, I found that webpage
    browsing slows down tremoudously.

    So, is it possible that all the traffic of the download manager shall
    routes over my 1st interface, and browser traffic routes over my 2nd
    interface?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: how to route all traffic of a program through a particular networkinterface

    In article ,
    fanti wrote:
    > I have two network interface connecting to different ISPs. The
    >first interface have large bandwidth and also high ping value, the
    >other have small bandwidth and very low ping value.

    > Whenever I use a download manager to download, I found that webpage
    >browsing slows down tremoudously.

    >So, is it possible that all the traffic of the download manager shall
    >routes over my 1st interface, and browser traffic routes over my 2nd
    >interface?

    Maybe, depending on the equipment and software involved.

    It isn't clear from your posting whether you have host with
    two NICs that connect directly (or through a modem) to different ISPs;
    or if you have a single host inside a router that has connections
    to two ISPs; or if you have multiple hosts inside a router that
    has connections to two ISPs... and if the latter, it isn't clear
    whether you want the different routing to happen for one host or for
    all hosts.

    All of the situations I mentioned or directly implied in the above
    have solutions (equipment and software willing), but the configuration
    details could differ a fair bit depending which of these situations
    is involved.

  3. Re: how to route all traffic of a program through a particularnetwork interface

    On May 25, 10:24 am, rober...@hushmail.com (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    > In article ,
    >
    > fanti wrote:
    > > I have two network interface connecting to different ISPs. The
    > >first interface have large bandwidth and also high ping value, the
    > >other have small bandwidth and very low ping value.
    > > Whenever I use a download manager to download, I found that webpage
    > >browsing slows down tremoudously.
    > >So, is it possible that all the traffic of the download manager shall
    > >routes over my 1st interface, and browser traffic routes over my 2nd
    > >interface?

    > Maybe, depending on the equipment and software involved.
    >
    > It isn't clear from your posting whether you have host with
    > two NICs that connect directly (or through a modem) to different ISPs;
    > or if you have a single host inside a router that has connections
    > to two ISPs; or if you have multiple hosts inside a router that
    > has connections to two ISPs... and if the latter, it isn't clear
    > whether you want the different routing to happen for one host or for
    > all hosts.
    >
    > All of the situations I mentioned or directly implied in the above
    > have solutions (equipment and software willing), but the configuration
    > details could differ a fair bit depending which of these situations
    > is involved.

    I have one host with two NIC.

  4. Re: how to route all traffic of a program through a particularnetwork interface

    In article ,
    fanti wrote:

    >I have one host with two NIC.

    Based upon your *lack* of answer on the matter of software, there
    would be some who would deduce that you are very likely running
    one of the MS Windows series. If that is the case and if you could
    mention -which- MS operating system, then there is a possibility
    that someone passing by might happen to know how to configure for
    what you want to do.

  5. Re: how to route all traffic of a program through a particularnetwork interface

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 19:28:24 -0700, fanti wrote:

    > On May 25, 10:24 am, rober...@hushmail.com (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    >> In article
    >> ,
    >>
    >> fanti wrote:
    >> > I have two network interface connecting to different ISPs. The
    >> >first interface have large bandwidth and also high ping value, the
    >> >other have small bandwidth and very low ping value.
    >> > Whenever I use a download manager to download, I found that webpage
    >> >browsing slows down tremoudously.
    >> >So, is it possible that all the traffic of the download manager shall
    >> >routes over my 1st interface, and browser traffic routes over my 2nd
    >> >interface?

    >> Maybe, depending on the equipment and software involved.

    (snip)

    > I have one host with two NIC.

    I assume a Windows host.

    Put an old PC with linux between your home network and your two Internet
    connections.
    +-------+
    --- Internet1 ---+ Linux +--- Internet2 ---
    +---+---+

    +---+---+
    | WinPC |
    +-------+

    Do some magic with Wondershaper to shape the interfaces, which will
    prevent the slowdown on loaded links. Use some magic with iproute2 to
    make some connections go over one Internet connection and some
    connections over the other. It's not rocketscience, but not very easy
    either if you have no Linux experience and/or some basic understanding of
    tcp/ip.

    Other OSses can probably do something similar, but Windows cannot. Don't
    try, it won't work (satisfactory).

    HTH,
    M4

+ Reply to Thread