Parsing DIAMETER packets - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Parsing DIAMETER packets - TCP-IP ; Hello, I just want to have a general overview on how to parse DIAMETER packets. I have recently parsed RADIUS packets using ethereal and and freeradius source codes as guide. In DIAMETER, it is very different. Checking on ethereal and ...

  1. Parsing DIAMETER packets

    Hello,

    I just want to have a general overview on how to parse DIAMETER
    packets. I have recently parsed RADIUS packets using ethereal and and
    freeradius source codes as guide. In DIAMETER, it is very different.
    Checking on ethereal and opendiameter source code, there seems a need
    to have an XML parser? Why is that? Moving forward, I need to encode
    and decode DIAMETER packets. I'm currently reading RFC 3588.
    Additional insights will help me further. An algorithm or simple
    function is most welcomed. Thanks.

  2. Re: Parsing DIAMETER packets

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 01:45:07 -0700 (PDT), ATAboy wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I just want to have a general overview on how to parse DIAMETER
    > packets. I have recently parsed RADIUS packets using ethereal and and
    > freeradius source codes as guide.

    Yeah, it's a fairly simple header + tag-length-value list of
    attributes format. The RFCs would have worked as a reference too, but
    they are numerous, and there are vendor-specific things not described
    by RFCs.

    > In DIAMETER, it is very different.
    > Checking on ethereal and opendiameter source code, there seems a need
    > to have an XML parser? Why is that?

    Don't know, but I suspect it is something internal to them. Maybe
    they found it easier and/or safer to transform to/from XML format when
    manipulating the data. I am pretty sure there is nothing in DIAMETER
    which requires XML.

    > Moving forward, I need to encode
    > and decode DIAMETER packets. I'm currently reading RFC 3588.
    > Additional insights will help me further. An algorithm or simple
    > function is most welcomed. Thanks.

    Sorry, no help here.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn \X/ snipabacken.se> R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

+ Reply to Thread