How to access public Internet packets? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on How to access public Internet packets? - TCP-IP ; Hi All, How to access public Internet packets?...

  1. How to access public Internet packets?

    Hi All,

    How to access public Internet packets?

  2. Re: How to access public Internet packets?

    In article ,
    Anbarasan S writes:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > How to access public Internet packets?

    If your hotel uses NAT or has a firewall that causes trouble then
    you might consider SHHing into one of your own systems and working
    from there.

  3. Re: How to access public Internet packets?

    People say internet is not secure and any one can read IP packets
    going thorough the Internet. How can we read some anonymous internet
    data?(assuming that nothing like firewall exists inbetween me and
    internet).

  4. Re: How to access public Internet packets?

    Anbarasan S wrote:
    > People say internet is not secure and any one can read IP packets
    > going thorough the Internet. How can we read some anonymous internet
    > data?(assuming that nothing like firewall exists inbetween me and
    > internet).

    "Any one" with the necessary proximity to the traffic. You are not
    likely to see anyone else's traffic by sniffing your residential
    Internet connection.

    ISP's, rogue governments ;>), etc., will have terrific access to your
    packets and mine.

    Best Regards,
    News Reader

  5. Re: How to access public Internet packets?

    Anbarasan S writes:

    > People say internet is not secure and any one can read IP packets
    > going thorough the Internet. How can we read some anonymous internet
    > data?(assuming that nothing like firewall exists inbetween me and
    > internet).

    It's not that everybody in the world can every packet going across the
    Interenet, it's that people who have access to networks along the path
    where your data travels have access to your data as it travels through
    those networks.

    For a simple example, if you run a packet sniffer (like
    WireShark/Ethereal) on your local Ethernet network, you can see the
    packets of other people on the same Ethernet network as you.

    A person with access to the line between you and your ISP could use
    similar software (and perhaps specialized hardware) to monitor traffic
    along that link.

    A person inside your ISP could use similar software to monitor traffic
    as it travels around inside your ISP.

    And so on for every leg your data travels. You can use traceroute/
    tracert to see many of the legs your data travels when communicating
    with another Internet address, which will give you an idea of the
    number of parties that have access to it.

    -----Scott.

+ Reply to Thread