deciding which whois server to use? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on deciding which whois server to use? - TCP-IP ; According to wikipedia.org's entry on whois, "The records of each of these registries are cross-referenced, so that a query to ARIN for a record which belongs to RIPE will return a placeholder pointing to the RIPE whois server. This lets ...

  1. deciding which whois server to use?

    According to wikipedia.org's entry on whois, "The records of each of
    these registries are cross-referenced, so that a query to ARIN for a
    record which belongs to RIPE will return a placeholder pointing to the
    RIPE whois server. This lets the whois user making the query know that
    the detailed information resides on the RIPE server.".

    What does this place holder look like? If I query 206.78.5.170 on
    whois.ripe.net, I don't see useful information, whereas if I query it
    on whois.arin.net, I do see useful information. On whois.apnic.net, I
    get a netname of ARIN-CIDR-BLOCK. On whois.ripe.net, I get IANA-BLK
    back.

    And which one should I use by default, anyway?

  2. Re: deciding which whois server to use?

    In article
    <00b26d95-91b2-4201-9b54-07b7928ae99c@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
    yawnmoth wrote:

    > According to wikipedia.org's entry on whois, "The records of each of
    > these registries are cross-referenced, so that a query to ARIN for a
    > record which belongs to RIPE will return a placeholder pointing to the
    > RIPE whois server. This lets the whois user making the query know that
    > the detailed information resides on the RIPE server.".
    >
    > What does this place holder look like? If I query 206.78.5.170 on
    > whois.ripe.net, I don't see useful information, whereas if I query it
    > on whois.arin.net, I do see useful information. On whois.apnic.net, I
    > get a netname of ARIN-CIDR-BLOCK. On whois.ripe.net, I get IANA-BLK
    > back.
    >
    > And which one should I use by default, anyway?

    Start with whois.arin.net, it contains the delegations to all the
    regional RIRs.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA