DNS Forwarding/CNAME - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on DNS Forwarding/CNAME - TCP-IP ; I have a website at WWW.XYZ.COM/webpage.html I have a domain name registered as WWW.ABC.COM The domain (abc.com) is set to "forward" to the webserver (xyz.com) so.... when someone visits WWW.ABC.COM/webpage.html it currently sends them to WWW.XYZ.COM/public/webpage.html ....Cool, thats what it's ...

  1. DNS Forwarding/CNAME

    I have a website at WWW.XYZ.COM/webpage.html
    I have a domain name registered as WWW.ABC.COM
    The domain (abc.com) is set to "forward" to the webserver (xyz.com)

    so....
    when someone visits WWW.ABC.COM/webpage.html
    it currently sends them to WWW.XYZ.COM/public/webpage.html
    ....Cool, thats what it's supposed to do...
    but here's the question:

    When you visit that page your webbrowser shows that you are on
    WWW.XYZ.COM/webpage.html .... I dont want it to show this... I want
    it
    to show as WWW.ABC.COM/webpage.html ... people should never know my
    site is really hosted on xyz... follow me?

    ....Someone remind me how I do this? what DNS settings do i need to
    change?

  2. Re: DNS Forwarding/CNAME

    In article
    ,
    Dennis wrote:

    > I have a website at WWW.XYZ.COM/webpage.html
    > I have a domain name registered as WWW.ABC.COM
    > The domain (abc.com) is set to "forward" to the webserver (xyz.com)
    >
    > so....
    > when someone visits WWW.ABC.COM/webpage.html
    > it currently sends them to WWW.XYZ.COM/public/webpage.html
    > ...Cool, thats what it's supposed to do...
    > but here's the question:
    >
    > When you visit that page your webbrowser shows that you are on
    > WWW.XYZ.COM/webpage.html .... I dont want it to show this... I want
    > it
    > to show as WWW.ABC.COM/webpage.html ... people should never know my
    > site is really hosted on xyz... follow me?
    >

    > ...Someone remind me how I do this? what DNS settings do i need to
    > change?

    This is not done in DNS, it requires a different type of redirect on the
    forwarding server (I think it involves using a frame). You should talk
    to the provider of the forwarding service to find out if they offer this
    option. It may cost extra (I think there are some providers that offer
    simple redirects for free, but charge if you want the kind of redirect
    you're asking for).

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: DNS Forwarding/CNAME

    On May 9, 12:01 pm, Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article
    > ,
    >
    > Dennis wrote:
    > > When you visit that page your webbrowser shows that you are on
    > > WWW.XYZ.COM/webpage.html .... I dont want it to show this... I want
    > > it
    > > to show as WWW.ABC.COM/webpage.html ... people should never know my
    > > site is really hosted on xyz... follow me?

    > > ...Someone remind me how I do this? what DNS settings do i need to
    > > change?

    > This is not done in DNS, it requires a different type of redirect on the
    > forwarding server (I think it involves using a frame). You should talk

    Depends on whether XYZ is hosted by IP address or whether it's a name-
    based virtual server.

    Firstly, modify the entry for WWW.ABC.COM to be an "A" record with the
    same address reported by XYZ. A "CNAME" record is telling your client
    "that's just a nickname for XYZ. Go look it up".

    If it's IP-address based, job done. You WILL need to keep an eye on
    it and change ABC's "A" record whenever the provider at XYZ changes
    theirs.

    If it's a name-based virtual server you'll then need to add WWW.ABC.COM
    to the VirtualServers list, using the same DocumentRoot and so on as
    is used for XYZ.

    I get the feeling it's a name-based virtual server and that the
    provider won't be cooperative

    Take the idea for a test run first - if you telnet to port 80 of WWW.XYZ.COM
    and type:
    GET http://www.abc.com/ HTTP/1.0
    Host: www.abc.com

    Do you get XYZ.COM as expected, or an error page, or the provider's
    main page?
    Note: Any "X-Cache" headers in the result mean there's a transparent
    proxy in the way and the test is invalid.

    -Pik.

  4. Re: DNS Forwarding/CNAME

    On May 8, 5:49*pm, Dennis wrote:

    > When you visit that page your webbrowser shows that you are on
    > WWW.XYZ.COM/webpage.html .... I dont want it to show this... I want
    > it
    > to show as WWW.ABC.COM/webpage.html * ... people should never know my
    > site is really hosted on xyz... *follow me?
    >
    > ...Someone remind me how I do this? what DNS settings do i need to
    > change?

    You have a fundamental problem, and how you fix it depends upon a lot
    of details you haven't given. Here's the thing: you don't want the
    client to know it's talking to 'www.xyz.com', but otherwise, how will
    it be able to tell 'www.xyz.com' who it's trying to reach, as required
    by the HTTP specification?

    If the client thinks it's talking to 'www.abc.com', then that's what
    it will tell 'www.xyz.com' it was trying to reach. And 'www.xyz.com'
    will have no idea what page to show it (since it has no idea the
    client is looking for 'www.xyz.com' as opposed to any of its other
    names).

    DS

  5. Re: DNS Forwarding/CNAME

    Let me give you an analogy to make it clearer. Your phone number is
    555-1234. You have an answering service at 555-4321. You set up a
    machine to forward calls to 555-1234 over to 555-4321. There's just
    one problem -- the answer service determines how to answer the phone
    based on what number was dialed.

    So the person dials 555-1234. The answering service pickes up the
    phone and says "what number did you dial?" The person says "555-1234".
    The answering service has no idea who that's supposed to be, and has
    no idea what service to provide the caller. Oops.

    The web server that's serving your pages needs to know what page the
    client was trying to access, and the only way it can get that
    information is if the client can tell it. If the client doesn't know,
    it can't tell the server, and then the server can't know.

    There are workarounds. One is the equivalent of making the answering
    service ring your number to a dedicated phone, rather than a shared
    phone. That way the service will know what service to provide based on
    which phone ring. You need to ask for a dedicated IP address for your
    web page -- no name-based virtual hosting.

    DS

  6. Re: DNS Forwarding/CNAME

    In article ,
    PiK wrote:

    >Depends on whether XYZ is hosted by IP address or whether it's a name-
    >based virtual server.
    >
    >Firstly, modify the entry for WWW.ABC.COM to be an "A" record with the

    That all sounds fine and admirably comprehensive to me. (Never mind
    that I'm not sure you don't want to use a version of HTTP other than
    1.0 in the telnet test). However, it does not quite meet this
    requirement of the original question:

    ] ... people should never know my
    ] site is really hosted on xyz... follow me?

    Since no HTTP proxying seems to to be involved, that requirement is (or
    should be) impossible to meet for people interested enough in TCP/IP
    to be reading this newsgroup. The IP address of the HTTP server will
    be that of WWW.XYZ.COM regardless of DNS or HTTP games that make
    WWW.XYZ.COM answer or claim some other name. Given the IP address,
    you can generally discover that WWW.XYZ.COM is not WWW.ABC.COM.

    Vernon Schryver vjs@rhyolite.com

+ Reply to Thread