SSL set up on z/os help - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on SSL set up on z/os help - TCP-IP ; Hi, I just started a new job and have been given the task of inmplementing SSL on z/os 1.7. I have been a MVS Sysprog forever without much involvement with VTAM or TCP/IP. All of the searching I have done ...

  1. SSL set up on z/os help

    Hi,
    I just started a new job and have been given the task of inmplementing
    SSL on z/os 1.7. I have been a MVS Sysprog forever without much
    involvement with VTAM or TCP/IP. All of the searching I have done does
    not give a clear description of what needs to be done. Espicially to
    an old guy. :-)

    Does any one have a cookbook write up of the process that they would
    like to share with me? We can connect with 3270 sessions and just want
    to make them SSL secure for users outside the building.

    Thanks.........Jim Gregg

  2. Re: SSL set up on z/os help

    On Thu, 08 May 2008 12:35:15 -0700, Jim wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I just started a new job and have been given the task of inmplementing
    > SSL on z/os 1.7. I have been a MVS Sysprog forever without much
    > involvement with VTAM or TCP/IP. All of the searching I have done does
    > not give a clear description of what needs to be done. Espicially to an
    > old guy. :-)
    >
    > Does any one have a cookbook write up of the process that they would
    > like to share with me? We can connect with 3270 sessions and just want
    > to make them SSL secure for users outside the building.

    I'ld get the O'Reilly on SSL and try to port OpenSSL to z/os. I don't
    know if more open source software has been ported to z/os, if not, you
    will miss all tools and may be better off writing from scratch. Studying
    OpenSSL will still help though.

    HTH,
    M4

  3. Re: SSL set up on z/os help

    On 2008-05-08 15:35:15 -0400, Jim said:

    > Hi,
    > I just started a new job and have been given the task of inmplementing
    > SSL on z/os 1.7. I have been a MVS Sysprog forever without much
    > involvement with VTAM or TCP/IP. All of the searching I have done does
    > not give a clear description of what needs to be done. Espicially to
    > an old guy. :-)
    >
    > Does any one have a cookbook write up of the process that they would
    > like to share with me? We can connect with 3270 sessions and just want
    > to make them SSL secure for users outside the building.
    >
    > Thanks.........Jim Gregg

    If Z/os has an SSL-aware web server you can get your hands on some
    source code for? That might be a good porting "start point".

    /dmfh

    --
    _ __ _
    __| |_ __ / _| |_ 01100100 01101101

  4. Re: SSL set up on z/os help

    On May 8, 12:35*pm, Jim wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I just started a new job and have been given the task of inmplementing
    > SSL on z/os 1.7. I have been a MVS Sysprog forever without much
    > involvement with VTAM or TCP/IP. All of the searching I have done does
    > not give a clear description of what needs to be done. Espicially to
    > an old guy. :-)
    >
    > Does any one have a cookbook write up of the process that they would
    > like to share with me? We can connect with 3270 sessions and just want
    > to make them SSL secure for users outside the building.
    >
    > Thanks.........Jim Gregg

    OpenSSL works just fine on z/os I believe. Some of the tests may fail
    due to EBCDIC conversion issues, but I believe SSL will work just
    fine.

    The easiest way may be to run a proxy on the machine that accepts
    incoming connections, dues the SSL part, and connects back locally to
    the unsecured 3270 port.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sslproxy/

    DS

+ Reply to Thread