help with networking computers behind switch - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on help with networking computers behind switch - TCP-IP ; heres my setup: internet --> gateway router --> linksys router (using as switch) I have the cable from the gateway plugged into the LAN ports (not the WAN port) and two computers also plugged into the LAN ports. The computers ...

  1. help with networking computers behind switch

    heres my setup:

    internet --> gateway router --> linksys router (using as switch)

    I have the cable from the gateway plugged into the LAN ports (not the
    WAN port) and two computers also plugged into the LAN ports.

    The computers get assigned IP's from the gateway router in it's IP
    range and have the same subnet (and for some reason the linksys gets
    assigned an IP and shows up on the router under the name of its mac
    address.

    PROBLEM:

    on any computer under the gateway router, when I type \\computer i get
    to the computer. On the computers behind the switch, when I type \
    \computer i get not accessible bla bla bla logon failure: the user has
    not been granted the request logon type bla.

    NOTE:

    Even if i type "\\ip address of 'computer'" I still get a not
    accessible. I CAN ping the IP address of the other computer.

    Now heres a weird part, I setup \\computer as a network drive before
    putting my system behind a switch, and when I try to open that from my
    computer it asks for username and password and if I give it the admin
    username and pass from the \\computer it mounts fine.

    and finally, heres the only setting I noticed that might indicate the
    problem but i failed to figure out via google how to fix it: when i
    run ipconfig /all and it lists IP Routing Enabled and WINS Proxy
    Enabled they are both No.

    everything else listed is identical to other computers below the
    gateway router directly.

    so how do i enable those two settings for computers behind switches or
    at least handle this problem on computers i put behind a switch
    (without having to add network drives before putting behind switch
    just to find those comps!).

    much love

  2. Re: help with networking computers behind switch

    On 7 Mai, 23:39, nagst...@gmail.com wrote:
    > heres my setup:
    >
    > internet --> gateway router --> linksys router (using as switch)
    >
    > I have the cable from the gateway plugged into the LAN ports (not the
    > WAN port) and two computers also plugged into the LAN ports.
    >
    > The computers get assigned IP's from the gateway router in it's IP
    > range and have the same subnet (and for some reason the linksys gets
    > assigned an IP and shows up on the router under the name of its mac
    > address.
    >
    > PROBLEM:
    >
    > on any computer under the gateway router, when I type \\computer i get
    > to the computer. On the computers behind the switch, when I type \
    > \computer i get not accessible bla bla bla logon failure: the user has
    > not been granted the request logon type bla.
    >
    > NOTE:
    >
    > Even if i type "\\ip address of 'computer'" I still get a not
    > accessible. I CAN ping the IP address of the other computer.
    >
    > Now heres a weird part, I setup \\computer as a network drive before
    > putting my system behind a switch, and when I try to open that from my
    > computer it asks for username and password and if I give it the admin
    > username and pass from the \\computer it mounts fine.
    >
    > and finally, heres the only setting I noticed that might indicate the
    > problem but i failed to figure out via google how to fix it: when i
    > run ipconfig /all and it lists IP Routing Enabled and WINS Proxy
    > Enabled they are both No.
    >
    > everything else listed is identical to other computers below the
    > gateway router directly.
    >
    > so how do i enable those two settings for computers behind switches or
    > at least handle this problem on computers i put behind a switch
    > (without having to add network drives before putting behind switch
    > just to find those comps!).
    >
    > much love

    what you mean with behind the switch ?

    internet -- router -- another router only as switch
    | | |
    PC1 PC2 your PC

    is this right ?

  3. Re: help with networking computers behind switch

    On 8 Mai, 04:34, rupat wrote:
    > On 7 Mai, 23:39, nagst...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > heres my setup:

    > > internet --> gateway router --> linksys router (using as switch)

    > > I have the cable from the gateway plugged into the LAN ports (not the
    > > WAN port) and two computers also plugged into the LAN ports.

    > > The computers get assigned IP's from the gateway router in it's IP
    > > range and have the same subnet (and for some reason the linksys gets
    > > assigned an IP and shows up on the router under the name of its mac
    > > address.

    > > PROBLEM:

    > > on any computer under the gateway router, when I type \\computer i get
    > > to the computer. On the computers behind the switch, when I type \
    > > \computer i get not accessible bla bla bla logon failure: the user has
    > > not been granted the request logon type bla.

    > > NOTE:

    > > Even if i type "\\ip address of 'computer'" I still get a not
    > > accessible. I CAN ping the IP address of the other computer.

    > > Now heres a weird part, I setup \\computer as a network drive before
    > > putting my system behind a switch, and when I try to open that from my
    > > computer it asks for username and password and if I give it the admin
    > > username and pass from the \\computer it mounts fine.

    > > and finally, heres the only setting I noticed that might indicate the
    > > problem but i failed to figure out via google how to fix it: when i
    > > run ipconfig /all and it lists IP Routing Enabled and WINS Proxy
    > > Enabled they are both No.

    > > everything else listed is identical to other computers below the
    > > gateway router directly.

    > > so how do i enable those two settings for computers behind switches or
    > > at least handle this problem on computers i put behind a switch
    > > (without having to add network drives before putting behind switch
    > > just to find those comps!).

    > > much love

    > what you mean with behind the switch ?
    >
    > internet -- router -- another router only as switch
    > | | |
    > PC1 PC2 your PC
    >
    > is this right ?

    hh ... the 3 PCs should be on the last router (as switch)

+ Reply to Thread