icmp request message - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on icmp request message - TCP-IP ; Hi, I am new to networking. I have few doubts. What will happen when we do ping. How the ICMP messages are sent and received. I want to know which icmp functions get called when we ping some machine. Thanks...

  1. icmp request message

    Hi,

    I am new to networking. I have few doubts.

    What will happen when we do ping. How the ICMP messages are sent and
    received.

    I want to know which icmp functions get called when we ping some
    machine.

    Thanks

  2. Re: icmp request message

    On May 6, 6:36*am, "prashant.khade1...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new to networking. I have few doubts.
    >
    > What will happen when we do ping. How the ICMP messages are sent and
    > received.
    >
    > I want to know which icmp functions get called when we ping some
    > machine.

    Ping is actually called "ICMP Echo." You should read RFC 792, page 14.
    ICMP runs directly over IP, so it is neither TCP nor UDP.

    Bert

+ Reply to Thread