Web Hosting behind NAT without access to the router configuration - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Web Hosting behind NAT without access to the router configuration - TCP-IP ; Hi folks, I want to setup a web server, e.g. apache, at my home computer and let my friends to access my web page from internet. However I am behind a NAT that is managed by the estate office which ...

  1. Web Hosting behind NAT without access to the router configuration

    Hi folks,

    I want to setup a web server, e.g. apache, at my home computer and let
    my friends to access my web page from internet. However I am behind a
    NAT that is managed by the estate office which I have no way to
    influence their router setting. I am just one of the users behind
    their NAT and get a local IP address, say 192.168.123.3, and I could
    check their WAN address, a valid public IP address. I have no way to
    check what kind of NAT scheme they are using and not to say about
    changing their port forwarding or iproute settings.

    Under this situation, the typical Dynamic DNS + port forwarding method
    cannot work.

    Do you have a better solution to setup a publicly accessible home
    server under this kind of infrastructure? I am aware of purplenova but
    would be happier to learn more solutions.

    Thanks,
    musthv

  2. Re: Web Hosting behind NAT without access to the router configuration

    In article
    <0a9cfd55-7534-4aa1-8ae1-b0ffd6c6d781@k1g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
    musthv@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I want to setup a web server, e.g. apache, at my home computer and let
    > my friends to access my web page from internet. However I am behind a
    > NAT that is managed by the estate office which I have no way to
    > influence their router setting. I am just one of the users behind
    > their NAT and get a local IP address, say 192.168.123.3, and I could
    > check their WAN address, a valid public IP address. I have no way to
    > check what kind of NAT scheme they are using and not to say about
    > changing their port forwarding or iproute settings.
    >
    > Under this situation, the typical Dynamic DNS + port forwarding method
    > cannot work.
    >
    > Do you have a better solution to setup a publicly accessible home
    > server under this kind of infrastructure? I am aware of purplenova but
    > would be happier to learn more solutions.

    Unless the router has UPnP enabled, I think you're out of luck.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Web Hosting behind NAT without access to the router configuration

    On Apr 29, 5:15 pm, mus...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I want to setup a web server, e.g. apache, at my home computer and let
    > my friends to access my web page from internet. However I am behind a
    > NAT that is managed by the estate office which I have no way to
    > influence their router setting. I am just one of the users behind
    > their NAT and get a local IP address, say 192.168.123.3, and I could
    > check their WAN address, a valid public IP address. I have no way to
    > check what kind of NAT scheme they are using and not to say about
    > changing their port forwarding or iproute settings.
    >
    > Under this situation, the typical Dynamic DNS + port forwarding method
    > cannot work.
    >
    > Do you have a better solution to setup a publicly accessible home
    > server under this kind of infrastructure? I am aware of purplenova but
    > would be happier to learn more solutions.

    If you have access to a shell on a public machine, you could use an
    SSH tunnel to connect a port on the publicly accessible server (eg.
    1080) to port 80 on your home machine. The initial TCP/IP connection
    hosting the tunnel would be outbound from your home system and so
    would penetrate the NAT. Been there, done that, had the t-shirt
    custom printed.

    -Pik.

  4. Re: Web Hosting behind NAT without access to the router configuration

    On 4月30日, 上午11時26分, Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article
    > <0a9cfd55-7534-4aa1-8ae1-b0ffd6c6d...@k1g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
    >

    > mus...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi folks,

    > > I want to setup a web server, e.g. apache, at my home computer and let
    > > my friends to access my web page from internet. However I am behind a
    > > NAT that is managed by the estate office which I have no way to
    > > influence their router setting. I am just one of the users behind
    > > their NAT and get a local IP address, say 192.168.123.3, and I could
    > > check their WAN address, a valid public IP address. I have no way to
    > > check what kind of NAT scheme they are using and not to say about
    > > changing their port forwarding or iproute settings.

    > > Under this situation, the typical Dynamic DNS + port forwarding method
    > > cannot work.

    > > Do you have a better solution to setup a publicly accessible home
    > > server under this kind of infrastructure? I am aware ofpurplenovabut
    > > would be happier to learn more solutions.

    > Unless the router has UPnP enabled, I think you're out of luck.
    >
    > --
    > Barry Margolin, bar...@alum.mit.edu
    > Arlington, MA

    I am out of luck, I believe they disabled the uPnP to prevent malware
    attacks.

    Thanks for your reply.

    musthv

  5. Re: Web Hosting behind NAT without access to the router configuration

    On 5月1日, 下午12時29分, PiK wrote:
    > On Apr 29, 5:15 pm, mus...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > Hi folks,

    > > I want to setup a web server, e.g. apache, at my home computer and let
    > > my friends to access my web page from internet. However I am behind a
    > > NAT that is managed by the estate office which I have no way to
    > > influence their router setting. I am just one of the users behind
    > > their NAT and get a local IP address, say 192.168.123.3, and I could
    > > check their WAN address, a valid public IP address. I have no way to
    > > check what kind of NAT scheme they are using and not to say about
    > > changing their port forwarding or iproute settings.

    > > Under this situation, the typical Dynamic DNS + port forwarding method
    > > cannot work.

    > > Do you have a better solution to setup a publicly accessible home
    > > server under this kind of infrastructure? I am aware ofpurplenovabut
    > > would be happier to learn more solutions.

    > If you have access to a shell on a public machine, you could use an
    > SSH tunnel to connect a port on the publicly accessible server (eg.
    > 1080) to port 80 on your home machine. The initial TCP/IP connection
    > hosting the tunnel would be outbound from your home system and so
    > would penetrate the NAT. Been there, done that, had the t-shirt
    > custom printed.
    >
    > -Pik.

    geee... thanks for this method and I learned it from other internet
    postings as well. However, I don't have telnet and rsh to their public
    machine.

    Actually, I have an account at a web hosting company to host my
    webpage now at a monthly fee, however the services are very limited so
    I think a home server would be more useful. Maybe I need to switch to
    purplenova at the end. ;(

    musthv.

+ Reply to Thread