    Regards,
    Ard

  2. Re: Multicasting + Cisco 10k + Juniper E320

    On 2008-04-24 02:36:31 -0400, ard.lonneke@kpnplanet.nl said:

    > We want to do multicast MPLS VPN in the PE-layer.
    > Has anyone experience with it?
    > How is the co÷peration between Cisco and Juniper on multcasting?

    Not great, IMHO. Not impossible, but not great. Cisco was / is the only
    major vendor that has really paid attention to multicast closely across
    the last decade, and their experience shows (especially in the
    financial services community). As you design your network, be
    particularly careful of the results of route convergence and the timer
    sets behind MSDP (if you're using) and its configuration. You can get
    "blackout" periods of 60-75 seconds or even longer off of a route
    convergence where the multicast packets won't flood until the timers
    catch up with the convergence.

    Just verify your design in the lab with sufficient "negative testing"
    breaking your routing protocols and seeing how long it takes the tree
    to heal.

    There's quite a list of issues here desire-able to mention, this is
    certainly not the only one! Just the one that came to mind when I read
    your post.

    /dmfh

    --
    _ __ _