a problem about PPTP(which is PNS?) - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on a problem about PPTP(which is PNS?) - TCP-IP ; RFC2637 said:"The Outgoing-Call-Request is a PPTP control message sent by the PNS to the PAC to indicate that an outbound call from the PAC is to be established."But I captured my vpn traffics and found that sender of outgoing-call-request is ...

  1. a problem about PPTP(which is PNS?)

    RFC2637 said:"The Outgoing-Call-Request is a PPTP control message sent
    by the PNS to the PAC to indicate that an outbound call from the PAC
    is to be established."But I captured my vpn traffics and found that
    sender of outgoing-call-request is me(PAC),NOT vpn server(PNS)?! It
    seems to inconsistency with RFC.

    P.S. i found some hints in another stantments in RFC2637 ,but I can't
    grasp meaning of that:"...PPTP can also be used to tunnel a PPP
    session over an IP network. In this configuration the PPTP tunnel and
    the PPP session runs between the same two machines with the caller
    acting as a PNS."

    thanks in advance

  2. Re: a problem about PPTP(which is PNS?)

    iLRainyday writes:
    > RFC2637 said:"The Outgoing-Call-Request is a PPTP control message sent
    > by the PNS to the PAC to indicate that an outbound call from the PAC
    > is to be established."But I captured my vpn traffics and found that
    > sender of outgoing-call-request is me(PAC),NOT vpn server(PNS)?! It
    > seems to inconsistency with RFC.

    The RFC is correct. I think what you might be missing is which system
    really is behaving as the PAC and which one is the PNS.

    > P.S. i found some hints in another stantments in RFC2637 ,but I can't
    > grasp meaning of that:"...PPTP can also be used to tunnel a PPP
    > session over an IP network. In this configuration the PPTP tunnel and
    > the PPP session runs between the same two machines with the caller
    > acting as a PNS."

    PPTP is a little weird. Yes, when you're using it for a VPN, the
    caller side is the PNS. The "vpn server" you're connecting to is the
    PAC.

    Just do a google search on "pptp vpn." There are lots of web sites,
    blog entries, and other documents that describe how this works.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking
    Sun Microsystems / 35 Network Drive 71.232W Vox +1 781 442 2084