Help with Microsoft Remote Desktop from office PC to Home PC - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Help with Microsoft Remote Desktop from office PC to Home PC - TCP-IP ; Hi Guru's I have two PC's at home, One running XP home and the other running Vista Ultimate, these two PC's are connected to a Netgear RangeMax Next router (via Cat5 cable, not wireless which I currently have disabled due ...

  1. Help with Microsoft Remote Desktop from office PC to Home PC

    Hi Guru's

    I have two PC's at home, One running XP home and the other running
    Vista Ultimate, these two PC's are connected to a Netgear RangeMax
    Next router (via Cat5 cable, not wireless which I currently have
    disabled due to not needing at the moment) and the router is then
    connected to my Motorola (well bigponds actually) Cable modem which
    then gets me to the internet.

    My question is, how hard would it be to securely allow me access to
    these two PC's from the internet. I would like to be able to restart
    the programs running on the PC's and maybe even reboot the PC's while
    I am away from home (i.e at work, the Fiancee's house, the pub,
    wherever).

    and to go with this question presuming it is possible and not too
    hard, does anyone have a guide I could follow to set it up that they
    could post or email me.

    thx in advance

    Spud

  2. Re: Help with Microsoft Remote Desktop from office PC to Home PC

    On Apr 15, 12:16*am, KiwiSpud wrote:
    > Hi Guru's
    >
    > I have two PC's at home, One running XP home and the other running
    > Vista Ultimate, these two PC's are connected to a Netgear RangeMax
    > Next router (via Cat5 cable, not wireless which I currently have
    > disabled due to not needing at the moment) and the router is then
    > connected to my Motorola (well bigponds actually) Cable modem which
    > then gets me to the internet.
    >
    > My question is, how hard would it be to securely allow me access to
    > these two PC's from the internet. I would like to be able to restart
    > the programs running on the PC's and maybe even reboot the PC's while
    > I am away from home (i.e at work, the Fiancee's house, the pub,
    > wherever).
    >
    > and to go with this question presuming it is possible and not too
    > hard, does anyone have a guide I could follow to set it up that they
    > could post or email me.

    Your main problem is going to be the firewall & router at your office.
    The first step is to speak with whoever controlls those and ask them
    if its even possible. Certain ports will need to be opened.

+ Reply to Thread