find out why web pages slow to download? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on find out why web pages slow to download? - TCP-IP ; Hello, I have a web site where the first page comes down straight away but there is a gap of 25 seconds or so before I can enter an email address. How do I find out what is causing this ...

  1. find out why web pages slow to download?

    Hello,

    I have a web site where the first page comes down straight away but
    there is a gap of 25 seconds or so before I can enter an email
    address.

    How do I find out what is causing this delay?

    Using Firefox Firebug and/or YSlow I see that 5 js files are
    downloaded but neither help me to see what the delay is. Wireshark
    gives me loads of data but I cannot interpret to see what the delay
    is...

    Any ideas please?!

    Cheers

    Geoff

  2. Re: find out why web pages slow to download?

    In article ,
    Geoff Cox wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a web site where the first page comes down straight away but
    > there is a gap of 25 seconds or so before I can enter an email
    > address.
    >
    > How do I find out what is causing this delay?
    >
    > Using Firefox Firebug and/or YSlow I see that 5 js files are
    > downloaded but neither help me to see what the delay is. Wireshark
    > gives me loads of data but I cannot interpret to see what the delay
    > is...

    The important thing you need to figure out is whether the delay is
    occurring during the download from the web site. Look at timestamps in
    the Wireshark dump to see what happened before and during the 25-second
    gap.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: find out why web pages slow to download?

    On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 21:03:41 -0400, Barry Margolin
    wrote:

    >In article ,
    > Geoff Cox wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a web site where the first page comes down straight away but
    >> there is a gap of 25 seconds or so before I can enter an email
    >> address.
    >>
    >> How do I find out what is causing this delay?
    >>
    >> Using Firefox Firebug and/or YSlow I see that 5 js files are
    >> downloaded but neither help me to see what the delay is. Wireshark
    >> gives me loads of data but I cannot interpret to see what the delay
    >> is...

    >The important thing you need to figure out is whether the delay is
    >occurring during the download from the web site. Look at timestamps in
    >the Wireshark dump to see what happened before and during the 25-second
    >gap.

    Barry

    thanks for your reply - I am now seeing something useful but for
    example if I see under Info that Track01.mp3 is loading how can I
    check for other Track numbers?

    Also if I save the info I get no info in this saved file - can I save
    the info as well as other data?

    Cheers

    Geoff

  4. Re: find out why web pages slow to download?

    On Apr 10, 2:53*pm, Geoff Cox wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 21:03:41 -0400, Barry Margolin
    >

    > wrote:
    > >In article ,
    > > Geoff Cox wrote:

    > >> Hello,

    > >> I have a web site where the first page comes down straight away but
    > >> there is a gap of 25 seconds or so before I can enter an email
    > >> address.

    > >> How do I find out what is causing this delay?

    > >> Using Firefox Firebug and/or YSlow I see that 5 js files are
    > >> downloaded but neither help me to see what the delay is. Wireshark
    > >> gives me loads of data but I cannot interpret to see what the delay
    > >> is...

    > >The important thing you need to figure out is whether the delay is
    > >occurring during the download from the web site. *Look at timestamps in
    > >the Wireshark dump to see what happened before and during the 25-second
    > >gap.

    > Barry
    >
    > thanks for your reply - I am now seeing something useful but for
    > example if I see under Info that Track01.mp3 is loading how can I
    > check for other Track numbers?
    >
    > Also if I save the info I get no info in this saved file - can I save
    > the info as well as other data?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Geoff- Hide quoted text -

    I suggest you use a proxy like Charles or Fiddler. These will give
    you a very detailed breakup of all the components in the webpage and
    thier associated information like, request time, response time,
    download time etc.

    I use Charles myself for web page analysis and find it very useful

    - Viks

+ Reply to Thread