high bandwidth WAN link - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on high bandwidth WAN link - TCP-IP ; Can someone define of when a WAN link is considered high bandwidth (what is the minumum speed to be considered as such?) Thanks...

  1. high bandwidth WAN link

    Can someone define of when a WAN link is considered high bandwidth
    (what is the minumum speed to be considered as such?) Thanks

  2. Re: high bandwidth WAN link

    Tom wrote:
    > Can someone define of when a WAN link is considered high bandwidth
    > (what is the minumum speed to be considered as such?) Thanks

    The numeric value is probably the same as that for which a piece of
    string is considered "long."

    In other words, it is one of those famous "it depends" questions.
    Probably a rather subjective one at that.

    In the case of a WAN, I suspect it depends on the timeframe. What was
    high bandwidth yesterday isn't going to be high bandwidth today and
    will be low bandwidth tomorrow.

    rick jones
    - Rick Jones

  3. Re: high bandwidth WAN link

    On Feb 4, 12:48 pm, Tom wrote:
    > Can someone define of when a WAN link is considered high bandwidth
    > (what is the minumum speed to be considered as such?) Thanks

    Any rate faster than the one that you can fit into your budget.

    But seriously, in the past, telcos have referred to anything faster
    than 9600bps voice grade leased lines as "high speed", later anything
    faster than ISDN BRI, these days, if you order a real T1* (or a
    fraction thereof) or better, you get the department offering real
    performance and service guarantees and whatnot, while everything else
    is consumer grade, where they'll promise to give you a phone number to
    call in case of trouble, but not that they'll actually answer the
    phone.

    Others have called anything faster than 56kb dialup "high speed" or
    "high bandwidth".

    In any case, it's at best a marketing term, and not a technical one

    What's the real question? Why do you care about such a definition?
    What are you trying to accomplish?

    *Not that a pedestrian (full) T1, at 1.5Mb/s, would strike most people
    as "high bandwidth" these days.

  4. Re: high bandwidth WAN link

    On Feb 4, 10:48 am, Tom wrote:

    > Can someone define of when a WAN link is considered high bandwidth
    > (what is the minumum speed to be considered as such?) Thanks

    I have seen semi-precise definitions for "narrowband", "midband", and
    "broadband" thrown around.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread