Between C and Java - which is easier for writing networking software - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Between C and Java - which is easier for writing networking software - TCP-IP ; I have good programming skills in C and C++ in the application software development. Now I want to learn TCP/IP networking, network management and practice writing some networking and network management applications.To try this, which language - between C and ...

  1. Between C and Java - which is easier for writing networking software

    I have good programming skills in C and C++ in the application
    software development.

    Now I want to learn TCP/IP networking, network management and practice
    writing some networking and network management applications.To try
    this, which language - between C and Java, is easier. Which of these
    two languages has features that are easy to learn ?

    Kindly let me know.

    Thanks
    V.Subramanian

  2. Re: Between C and Java - which is easier for writing networking software

    subramanian100in@yahoo.com, India wrote:
    > Which of these
    > two languages has features that are easy to learn ?

    In my opinion the networking support in Java is infinitely easier to use
    than the combination of the Berkeley sockets API and ioctl(). On the
    other hand Java doesn't support all the possible APIs.

  3. Re: Between C and Java - which is easier for writing networking software

    EJP writes:

    > subramanian100in@yahoo.com, India wrote:
    >> Which of these
    >> two languages has features that are easy to learn ?

    > In my opinion the networking support in Java is infinitely easier to
    > use than the combination of the Berkeley sockets API and ioctl(). On
    > the other hand Java doesn't support all the possible APIs.

    IMHO it's easier in perl, and other scripting languages. And there's
    netcat for shell programmers. But an invaluable book is the Stevens
    book "Unix Network Programming." That's in C. It teaches all the
    basics. C is terser than Java, and easier to make mistakes.

  4. Re: Between C and Java - which is easier for writing networkingsoftware

    On Jan 28, 11:19 pm, EJP wrote:

    > In my opinion the networking support in Java is infinitely easier to use
    > than the combination of the Berkeley sockets API and ioctl(). On the
    > other hand Java doesn't support all the possible APIs.

    That's an argument for using a comparable library in C. It's not an
    argument against using C.

    DS

  5. Re: Between C and Java - which is easier for writing networking software

    EJP wrote:
    > subramanian100in@yahoo.com, India wrote:
    >> Which of these
    >> two languages has features that are easy to learn ?

    > In my opinion the networking support in Java is infinitely easier to
    > use than the combination of the Berkeley sockets API and ioctl(). On
    > the other hand Java doesn't support all the possible APIs.

    I find Perl makes writing networking apps a lot less painful while still
    giving you all the power and flexibility of what you have in C.

  6. Re: Between C and Java - which is easier for writing networking software

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:42:44 -0800 (PST), subramanian100in@yahoo.com, India wrote:
    > I have good programming skills in C and C++ in the application
    > software development.
    >
    > Now I want to learn TCP/IP networking, network management and practice
    > writing some networking and network management applications.To try
    > this, which language - between C and Java, is easier.

    If you are good at C++, why would you write in C? Unless someone has
    decided you can only pick C or Java -- but then he or she might as
    well remove that last choice, too.

    I haven't used Java but I suspect ... that while the BSD sockets C API
    is rather ugly, the real, higher-level problems will show up in either
    language. The problems which the TCP protocol (as an example) doesn't
    try to solve, cannot be solved by an API either.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn \X/ snipabacken.se> R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

+ Reply to Thread