which one will be configured first by DHCP (default gateway orIPaddress) - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on which one will be configured first by DHCP (default gateway orIPaddress) - TCP-IP ; hi , i just want to know when a new mac address in found in a n/w which one will be configured first by DHCP, ipaddress or default gateway first thanks varma...

  1. which one will be configured first by DHCP (default gateway orIPaddress)

    hi ,

    i just want to know when a new mac address in found in a n/w which
    one
    will be configured first by DHCP, ipaddress or default gateway first

    thanks
    varma

  2. Re: which one will be configured first by DHCP (default gateway or ?IPaddress)

    varma wrote:
    > i just want to know when a new mac address in found in a n/w which
    > one will be configured first by DHCP, ipaddress or default gateway
    > first

    There is one DHCP reply which will provide IP address and possibly
    gateway information. Given that generally one cannot configure a
    route using a gateway address that is not on a "local" subnet, I would
    expect that the ip address would have to be configured first...

    rick jones

  3. Re: which one will be configured first by DHCP (default gateway orIPaddress)

    On Jan 28, 5:22*am, varma wrote:
    > hi ,
    >
    > i just want to know when a new mac address in found in a n/w which
    > one
    > will be configured first by DHCP, ipaddress or default gateway first

    I don't know the details of which is configured first by the client's
    OS, but as far as DHCP goes, the IP address and the default router
    (and a lot of other networks parameters) can all be provided
    simultaneously by the DHCP server, in a single DHCPACK message.

    The references are RFC 2131, specifically Section 2 for the DHCP
    message format, 3.1 and 3.5 which describe how all other network
    parameters can be received (or not) in the DHCPACK message, and RFC
    2132 for a list of the original set of options. There are several
    additional RFCs out there, for newer sets of DHCP options

    Bert

+ Reply to Thread