How to capture Skype traffic on my PC? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on How to capture Skype traffic on my PC? - TCP-IP ; Hell everybody! How do I capture Skype TCP-IP traffic on my computer? I do not think tools like Ethereal (Wireshark) can capture traffic from a specific application, can they? Is there any good, effective way of accomplishing such task? I ...

  1. How to capture Skype traffic on my PC?

    Hell everybody!

    How do I capture Skype TCP-IP traffic on my computer?
    I do not think tools like Ethereal (Wireshark) can capture traffic from a
    specific application, can they?
    Is there any good, effective way of accomplishing such task?
    I simply want to know what exactly is being transmitted and to where.

    Thank you for any hints.

    Mike

  2. Re: How to capture Skype traffic on my PC?

    "Mike Oswald" wrote:
    > How do I capture Skype TCP-IP traffic on my computer?
    > I do not think tools like Ethereal (Wireshark) can capture traffic
    > from a specific application, can they?

    Ethereal and Wireshark capture everything and you should be able to define
    filters in them to include only the packets related to the application data
    exchange of interest.

  3. Re: How to capture Skype traffic on my PC?

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:56:37 -0000, Jim Logajan wrote:
    > "Mike Oswald" wrote:
    >> How do I capture Skype TCP-IP traffic on my computer?
    >> I do not think tools like Ethereal (Wireshark) can capture traffic
    >> from a specific application, can they?

    > Ethereal and Wireshark capture everything and you should be able to define
    > filters in them to include only the packets related to the application data
    > exchange of interest.

    Yes -- except Wireshark captures in terms of hosts, protocols and port
    numbers, and Skype is notorious for masquerading as other protocols,
    in order to get through firewalls etc. There is no single Skype TCP
    or UDP port.

    But if you capture traffic for fifteen minutes or so, you should be
    able to filter away DNS queries, mail traffic and other things you are
    directly responsible for. The rest is probably Skype and cracker
    attacks.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn \X/ snipabacken.dyndns.org> R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

+ Reply to Thread