Idea to make ipv6 address shorter: use 0 to 9 and a to z encoding. - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Idea to make ipv6 address shorter: use 0 to 9 and a to z encoding. - TCP-IP ; Hello, Here a simple idea to make ip v6 addressess shorter: Use encoding: 0 to 9 and a to z. For example ip v6 address could look something like: kh234kjh5 Alternatively even capitals could be added for even shorter ip ...

  1. Idea to make ipv6 address shorter: use 0 to 9 and a to z encoding.

    Hello,

    Here a simple idea to make ip v6 addressess shorter:

    Use encoding:

    0 to 9 and a to z.

    For example ip v6 address could look something like:

    kh234kjh5

    Alternatively even capitals could be added for even shorter ip addressess:

    4Gsdf23F

    0 to 9 and a to z and A to Z.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

  2. Re: Idea to make ipv6 address shorter: use 0 to 9 and a to z encoding.

    Hello,

    Skybuck Flying a écrit :

    > Here a simple idea to make ip v6 addressess shorter:
    >
    > Use encoding:
    >
    > 0 to 9 and a to z.
    >
    > For example ip v6 address could look something like:
    >
    > kh234kjh5
    >
    > Alternatively even capitals could be added for even shorter ip addressess:
    >
    > 4Gsdf23F
    >
    > 0 to 9 and a to z and A to Z.

    A similar concept was already proposed more than 10 years ago in
    RFC 1924 - A Compact Representation of IPv6 Addresses.

    But the question is : do we want a more compact representation or a
    representation which is easier to read, write and handle ?

    By the way, RFC 1924 was one of those RFC released on April 1st. ;-)

+ Reply to Thread