Questions on Ethernet controller - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Questions on Ethernet controller - TCP-IP ; Hi all, Iam a student I working on a web-server project, Iam writing a Device driver to a Ethernet controller.I have few questions on Ethernet controller 1) When Ethernet controller receives a packet ISR will be called, when ISR is ...

  1. Questions on Ethernet controller

    Hi all,

    Iam a student I working on a web-server project, Iam writing a Device
    driver to a Ethernet controller.I have few questions on Ethernet
    controller

    1) When Ethernet controller receives a packet ISR will be called, when
    ISR is Executing mean while when another packet arrives what happens?
    will Isr called Recursively?
    2) How many minimum packets should be filled in Ethernet controller Rx
    Buffer before it raises an Interrupt or
    3) how much time it should wait to raise an interrupt for another
    packets when single packet sits in receive BUffer.It depends on what?
    on what Factor it Depends.

    Thanks in advance,

    with Regards,
    Babu

  2. Re: Questions on Ethernet controller

    On Dec 28, 6:07 am, rajeshd...@gmail.com wrote:

    > Iam a student I working on a web-server project, Iam writing a Device
    > driver to a Ethernet controller.I have few questions on Ethernet
    > controller

    > 1) When Ethernet controller receives a packet ISR will be called, when
    > ISR is Executing mean while when another packet arrives what happens?
    > will Isr called Recursively?

    That's up to the hardware and the OS. The one thing it probably won't
    do is call the ISR recursively. You didn't mention what hardware or
    what OS you're using, so it's hard to say.

    > 2) How many minimum packets should be filled in Ethernet controller Rx
    > Buffer before it raises an Interrupt or
    > 3) how much time it should wait to raise an interrupt for another
    > packets when single packet sits in receive BUffer.It depends on what?
    > on what Factor it Depends.

    It depends primarily on how long you are willing to delay a packet in
    the worst case scenario. It also may depend upon how much room there
    is in the buffer.

    Your questions are very vague and that makes them very hard to answer.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread