Winsock1.1 - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Winsock1.1 - TCP-IP ; I use an old win32 application using Winsock1.1. This is a tcp application that streams video to the other side. I encounter problems using it, especially across the Internet because after a few seconds/minutes it breaks. Trying to compile with ...

  1. Winsock1.1

    I use an old win32 application using Winsock1.1. This is a tcp application
    that streams video to the other side. I encounter problems using it,
    especially across the Internet because after a few seconds/minutes it
    breaks.
    Trying to compile with Winsock 2(header and lib) works fine inside a LAN
    but can I be sure that all the functions are compatible?
    Can Winsock1.1 be the reason of such problems?

    Regards

    Jack

  2. Re: Winsock1.1

    Hello Jack,

    > I use an old win32 application using Winsock1.1. This is a tcp application
    > that streams video to the other side. I encounter problems using it,
    > especially across the Internet because after a few seconds/minutes it
    > breaks.

    Winsock 1.1 features are purported to be supported in 2.0. That isn't
    important here. You have a broken application that seems to work, but
    after a period of time "breaks". You need to be more specific about
    the problem. Which end to you think is broken? Have you handled all
    the error codes and conditions properly? The general internet, as
    opposed to a local LAN, is more unpredictable for delivery and you
    likely have an unhandled condition. We might be able to help with
    some code.

    David

  3. Re: Winsock1.1

    On Dec 17, 12:04 am, "Jack" wrote:
    > I use an old win32 application using Winsock1.1. This is a tcp application
    > that streams video to the other side. I encounter problems using it,
    > especially across the Internet because after a few seconds/minutes it
    > breaks.
    > Trying to compile with Winsock 2(header and lib) works fine inside a LAN
    > but can I be sure that all the functions are compatible?
    > Can Winsock1.1 be the reason of such problems?

    Why not debug your program, find the reason it breaks, and fix it.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread