Why were the called steam tube guys ? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Why were the called steam tube guys ? - TCP-IP ; Hi, Recently I've read from Nemeth's Unix System Administrator's Handbook that the people who developed tcp/ip on bsd were called steam tube guys. They were highly talented but why were they called steam tube people. I've also heard that most ...

  1. Why were the called steam tube guys ?

    Hi,

    Recently I've read from Nemeth's Unix System Administrator's Handbook
    that the people who
    developed tcp/ip on bsd were called steam tube guys. They were highly
    talented but why were
    they called steam tube people. I've also heard that most of them were
    unsung heros of unix programming.
    Can u enlighten it.

    Regards

  2. Re: Why were the called steam tube guys ?

    nix writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Recently I've read from Nemeth's Unix System Administrator's Handbook

    That's an oldie.

    > that the people who
    > developed tcp/ip on bsd were called steam tube guys.

    I never heard this before. Anyone know?

    In my college we had guys who explored the underground heating system.
    They also learned how to defeat locks, and gain access to many
    unauthorized places. These may be "steam tubes" and may characterize
    the personality type.

    > They were highly
    > talented but why were
    > they called steam tube people. I've also heard that most of them were
    > unsung heros of unix programming.
    > Can u enlighten it.

    Well, I know Bill Joy was involved. The list of things he accomplished
    was very long. It includes vi and my 'favorite' shell, csh.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Joy

    This mentions that Bill "rewrote BSD in a weekend." I think he was a
    major contributor for the virtual memory/networking part of the
    kernel, and was key to getting it ported to a VAX system.

  3. Re: Why were the called steam tube guys ?

    In article
    <77da16bb-8060-471d-b64f-9dac10fc2a3e@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    nix wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Recently I've read from Nemeth's Unix System Administrator's Handbook
    > that the people who
    > developed tcp/ip on bsd were called steam tube guys. They were highly
    > talented but why were
    > they called steam tube people. I've also heard that most of them were
    > unsung heros of unix programming.
    > Can u enlighten it.

    Are you sure you don't mean "steam tunnel"?

    Many of the Arpanet and Internet designers were at BBN, and came from
    MIT. At MIT, a popular pastime of hackers was exploring the steam
    tunnels and roofs, because they were supposed to be off-limits to
    students. The steam tunnels could also be used to navigate between
    buildings that were otherwise unconnected, to get around without going
    out into the harsh sunlight or extreme weather.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA