Can an IPv4 host connect to an IPv6 host - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Can an IPv4 host connect to an IPv6 host - TCP-IP ; Hi all, Can this be done? I seem to recall something about embedding IPv4 addresses in the final two "sets" of an IPv6 address. Is this what I'm looking for? I guess, back to the original question, is it possible ...

  1. Can an IPv4 host connect to an IPv6 host

    Hi all,

    Can this be done? I seem to recall something about embedding IPv4
    addresses in the final two "sets" of an IPv6 address. Is this what
    I'm looking for? I guess, back to the original question, is it
    possible for an IPv4 host to make a connection to an IPv6 listening
    socket?

    I've done both IPv4 and IPv6 work, but never had to mix the two. From
    what I know of IPv6 and IPv4, my first guess is that, no, it's not
    possible. IPv6 is entirely different, but then there's that RFC I
    recall seeing many years about placing IPv4 hosts into IPv6
    addresses. I don't recall the RFC number or I'd start by looking that
    up.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Andy

  2. Re: Can an IPv4 host connect to an IPv6 host

    In article ,
    Andrew Falanga wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >
    >Can this be done?

    No.

    > IPv6 is entirely different, but then there's that RFC I recall seeing many
    >years about placing IPv4 hosts into IPv6 addresses. I don't recall the RFC
    >number or I'd start by looking that up.

    There were originally two ways IPv4 addresses ended up in IPv6 addresses.

    One was intended to have two v6 nodes speak v6 to each other if there was
    nothing but IPv4 connecting them. I believe it's deprecated now, but that
    was ::.

    The other is merely an application-level abstraction to open an AF_INET6
    socket but have it speak IPv4 on the wire. This is the ::ffff:
    form.
    --
    Daniel L. McDonald - Solaris Security & Networking Engineering
    Mail: danmcd@sun.com | * MY OPINIONS ARE NOT NECESSARILY SUN'S! *

  3. Re: Can an IPv4 host connect to an IPv6 host

    On Dec 11, 10:12 am, dan...@Eng.Sun.COM (Dan McDonald) wrote:
    > In article ,
    >
    > There were originally two ways IPv4 addresses ended up in IPv6 addresses.
    >
    > One was intended to have two v6 nodes speak v6 to each other if there was
    > nothing but IPv4 connecting them. I believe it's deprecated now, but that
    > was ::.

    Does this imply that two IPv6 nodes will not be able to utilize an
    intermediate IPv4 mesh?

    -Le Chaud Lapin-

  4. Re: Can an IPv4 host connect to an IPv6 host

    In article <8fe3a592-7188-4075-b0de-d94e0857d59c@o6g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
    Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
    >> One was intended to have two v6 nodes speak v6 to each other if there was
    >> nothing but IPv4 connecting them. I believe it's deprecated now, but that
    >> was ::.

    >Does this imply that two IPv6 nodes will not be able to utilize an
    >intermediate IPv4 mesh?

    There is STILL at least one way to have two IPv6 nodes use an IPv4 mesh, as
    you put it.

    I believe there's 6to4 which replaces the :: scheme. You should
    google 6to4 for details. I *do* know we have 6to4 tunnel support in
    OpenSolaris.
    --
    Daniel L. McDonald - Solaris Security & Networking Engineering
    Mail: danmcd@sun.com | * MY OPINIONS ARE NOT NECESSARILY SUN'S! *
    35 Network Drive Burlington, MA |"rising falling at force ten
    http://blogs.sun.com/danmcd/ | we twist the world and ride the wind" - Rush

+ Reply to Thread