RS232 devices over TCP/IP - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on RS232 devices over TCP/IP - TCP-IP ; Hi ~ I have 14 RS232 devices that we want to be able to access via TCP/IP sockets over the lan network. Basically my idea is to connect the 14 devices to a USB-RS232 hub (or couple of hubs) - ...

  1. RS232 devices over TCP/IP

    Hi ~

    I have 14 RS232 devices that we want to be able to access via TCP/IP
    sockets over the lan network. Basically my idea is to connect the 14
    devices to a USB-RS232 hub (or couple of hubs) - these are the only
    hubs we're allowed to use due to budget constraints - and connect the
    hubs to PC (call it Harry) USB ports. Then be able to connect
    remotely to Harry via a hyperterminal TCP/IP session for example, and
    by specifying a TCP/IP port, Harry will enable me to monitor/control
    an RS232 device from hyperterminal session.

    Also to clarify, there will be a max of 5 users who will need to do
    this remotely. For example user A could be controlling RS232 devices
    1-4, user B devices 5-6, user C devices 7-9 etc.

    I'm pretty sure software needs to run on Harry to make this happen.
    Can you give me please some leads? Harry will be running either
    windows 2000 or XP.

  2. Re: RS232 devices over TCP/IP

    CLiJC writes:

    > I have 14 RS232 devices that we want to be able to access via TCP/IP
    > sockets over the lan network. Basically my idea is to connect the 14
    > devices to a USB-RS232 hub (or couple of hubs) - these are the only
    > hubs we're allowed to use due to budget constraints - and connect the
    > hubs to PC (call it Harry) USB ports. Then be able to connect
    > remotely to Harry via a hyperterminal TCP/IP session for example, and
    > by specifying a TCP/IP port, Harry will enable me to monitor/control
    > an RS232 device from hyperterminal session.

    Basically, you want a serial/ethernet adapter. These are readily
    available and mostly work well, offering a variety of features.
    Search Google to find a few. I suspect you will find this option
    cheaper than using adapters, hubs, and a PC (unless you already have
    most of the parts lying around).

    [...]

    > I'm pretty sure software needs to run on Harry to make this happen.
    > Can you give me please some leads? Harry will be running either
    > windows 2000 or XP.

    If you want to use a PC to run serial/ethernet adapter software, that
    should work too. I used to do this with this script that I wrote
    (which I've posted here before):

    http://whereabouts.eecs.umich.edu/code/serialserver.pl

    This project seems to provide the opposite, treating a TCP connection as a
    serial port, but still might have some helpful information:

    http://com0com.sourceforge.net/

    Good luck!

    ----Scott.

  3. Re: RS232 devices over TCP/IP

    "Scott Gifford" wrote in message
    > CLiJC writes:
    >
    > > I have 14 RS232 devices that we want to be able to access via TCP/IP
    > > sockets over the lan network. Basically my idea is to connect the 14
    > > devices to a USB-RS232 hub (or couple of hubs) - these are the only
    > > hubs we're allowed to use due to budget constraints - and connect the
    > > hubs to PC (call it Harry) USB ports. Then be able to connect
    > > remotely to Harry via a hyperterminal TCP/IP session for example, and
    > > by specifying a TCP/IP port, Harry will enable me to monitor/control
    > > an RS232 device from hyperterminal session.

    > Basically, you want a serial/ethernet adapter. These are readily
    > available and mostly work well, offering a variety of features.

    try "terminal server"

    FWIW work uses serial adaptors in cisco routers - but no way is this
    cheap...

    --
    Regards

    stephen_hope@xyzworld.com - replace xyz with ntl

  4. Re: RS232 devices over TCP/IP

    http://www.moxa.com/Zones/Serial_To_Ethernet/index.htm

    G.

    "CLiJC" wrote in message
    > Hi ~
    >
    > I have 14 RS232 devices that we want to be able to access via TCP/IP
    > sockets over the lan network. Basically my idea is to connect the 14
    > devices to a USB-RS232 hub (or couple of hubs) - these are the only
    > hubs we're allowed to use due to budget constraints - and connect the
    > hubs to PC (call it Harry) USB ports. Then be able to connect
    > remotely to Harry via a hyperterminal TCP/IP session for example, and
    > by specifying a TCP/IP port, Harry will enable me to monitor/control
    > an RS232 device from hyperterminal session.
    >
    > Also to clarify, there will be a max of 5 users who will need to do
    > this remotely. For example user A could be controlling RS232 devices
    > 1-4, user B devices 5-6, user C devices 7-9 etc.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure software needs to run on Harry to make this happen.
    > Can you give me please some leads? Harry will be running either
    > windows 2000 or XP.

  5. Re: RS232 devices over TCP/IP

    I will recommend Moxa's NPort or Lantronix's UDS series.
    http://www.moxa.com
    http://www.lantronix.com

    Moxa offer lifetime warranty in USA and Lantronix offer 2 years.

    To choose which model you want depends on how do you connect those
    serial
    devices to these so called "device server". You can choose one serial
    to one
    ethernet or many serial to one ethernet. Install driver that vendors
    offered
    in your PC then you will have many com ports been increased. Then you
    don't
    need to change any software but keep on using your old stuff to open
    com port.

    Or you can also choose USB hubs. Same thing you have to do is to
    install driver.
    But since you will need to let multiple users to control different
    devices, then
    you should use "Device Server" rather than to choose USB hubs.

    Device Server will allow you to define which port you would like to
    let it be controlled
    by certain name and password. Same like Terminal Server. You can find
    all the products
    on Moxa's and Lantronix's website.

    BR, Richard...

  6. Re: RS232 devices over TCP/IP

    On Dec 6, 2:24 am, richard.h...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I will recommend Moxa's NPort or Lantronix's UDS series.http://www.moxa.comhttp://www.lantronix.com

    CLiJC - You can also check out http://www.iorail.com/ especially if
    your solution needs to be resistant to high EMI or wide temp ranges.
    BestRegards - Dan

  7. Re: RS232 devices over TCP/IP

    On 4 ΔΕΛ 2007, 20:27, CLiJC wrote:
    > Hi ~
    >
    > I have 14 RS232 devices that we want to be able to access via TCP/IP
    > sockets over the lan network. Basically my idea is to connect the 14
    > devices to a USB-RS232 hub (or couple of hubs) - these are the only
    > hubs we're allowed to use due to budget constraints - and connect the
    > hubs to PC (call šit Harry) USB ports. Then be able to connect
    > remotely to Harry via a hyperterminal TCP/IP session for example, and
    > by specifying a TCP/IP port, Harry will enable me to monitor/control
    > an RS232 device from hyperterminal session.
    >
    > Also to clarify, there will be a max of 5 users who will need to do
    > this remotely. For example user A could be controlling RS232 devices
    > 1-4, user B devices 5-6, user C devices 7-9 etc.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure software needs to run on Harry to make this happen.
    > Can you give me please some leads? Harry will be running either
    > windows 2000 or XP.

    Ponticulus(http://sourceforge.net/projects/ponticulus/) or some other
    com-over-tcp software may be used.
    Try and tell how it works.

  8. Re: RS232 devices over TCP/IP

    On Dec 4 2007, 12:27*pm, CLiJC wrote:
    > Hi ~
    >
    > I have 14 RS232 devices that we want to be able to access via TCP/IP
    > sockets over the lan network. Basically my idea is to connect the 14
    > devices to a USB-RS232 hub (or couple of hubs) - these are the only
    > hubs we're allowed to use due to budget constraints - and connect the
    > hubs to PC (call *it Harry) USB ports. Then be able to connect
    > remotely to Harry via a hyperterminal TCP/IP session for example, and
    > by specifying a TCP/IP port, Harry will enable me to monitor/control
    > an RS232 device from hyperterminal session.
    >
    > Also to clarify, there will be a max of 5 users who will need to do
    > this remotely. For example user A could be controlling RS232 devices
    > 1-4, user B devices 5-6, user C devices 7-9 etc.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure software needs to run on Harry to make this happen.
    > Can you give me please some leads? Harry will be running either
    > windows 2000 or XP.

    Others have made good suggestions, but since the interaction is
    between human and RS232 device, I would simply use Terminal
    Services.

    No need to buy new software, as TS comes with the OS. Each user could
    log into Harry, then use Hypterminal (on Harry of course) against the
    serial ports of their choice.

    -Le Chaud Lapin-

  9. Re: RS232 devices over TCP/IP

    You may want to look at a software product called TCP-Com at:
    http://www.taltech.com/products/tcpcom.html

    TCP-Com has the ability to read in data from a RS232 port and feed the
    data out a TCP/IP port or vice versa. It can also create Virtual COM
    ports that are actually connections to TCP/IP ports.
    It should be ideal for what you want to do.

    On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:27:04 -0800 (PST), CLiJC
    wrote:

    >Hi ~
    >
    >I have 14 RS232 devices that we want to be able to access via TCP/IP
    >sockets over the lan network. Basically my idea is to connect the 14
    >devices to a USB-RS232 hub (or couple of hubs) - these are the only
    >hubs we're allowed to use due to budget constraints - and connect the
    >hubs to PC (call it Harry) USB ports. Then be able to connect
    >remotely to Harry via a hyperterminal TCP/IP session for example, and
    >by specifying a TCP/IP port, Harry will enable me to monitor/control
    >an RS232 device from hyperterminal session.
    >
    >Also to clarify, there will be a max of 5 users who will need to do
    >this remotely. For example user A could be controlling RS232 devices
    >1-4, user B devices 5-6, user C devices 7-9 etc.
    >
    >I'm pretty sure software needs to run on Harry to make this happen.
    >Can you give me please some leads? Harry will be running either
    >windows 2000 or XP.

+ Reply to Thread