Wireless Keyboards and Mice - Suse

This is a discussion on Wireless Keyboards and Mice - Suse ; Are wireless keyboards and mice recognized out of the box in Open Suse 11.0 or do they take special setup work?...

  1. Wireless Keyboards and Mice

    Are wireless keyboards and mice recognized out of
    the box in Open Suse 11.0 or do they take special
    setup work?

  2. Re: Wireless Keyboards and Mice

    Paul E. Lehmann escribió:
    > Are wireless keyboards and mice recognized out of
    > the box in Open Suse 11.0 or do they take special
    > setup work?

    In my experience, they work out of the box.

  3. Re: Wireless Keyboards and Mice

    George wrote:
    > Paul E. Lehmann escribió:
    >> Are wireless keyboards and mice recognized out of
    >> the box in Open Suse 11.0 or do they take special
    >> setup work?

    > In my experience, they work out of the box.

    I tried them once inside the box, but got a lousy responsetime. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,

  4. Re: Wireless Keyboards and Mice

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:19:12 +0100, houghi wrote:

    > George wrote:
    >> Paul E. Lehmann escribió:
    >>> Are wireless keyboards and mice recognized out of
    >>> the box in Open Suse 11.0 or do they take special
    >>> setup work?

    >> In my experience, they work out of the box.

    > I tried them once inside the box, but got a lousy responsetime. ;-)
    >
    > houghi

    Personally, I find people who waste bandwidth to be a little gay...
    Funny. But a little bit gay.

  5. Re: Wireless Keyboards and Mice

    Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    > Are wireless keyboards and mice recognized out of
    > the box in Open Suse 11.0 or do they take special
    > setup work?

    I had to take it out of the box to put batteries in it.
    Works fine after that, just eats batteries. Get rechargeable.

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ? ? ¥

  6. Re: Wireless Keyboards and Mice

    Can't Help? wrote:
    > Personally, I find people who waste bandwidth to be a little gay...
    > Funny. But a little bit gay.

    Without quoting the sig, it is makinging no sense. OTOH People who waste
    bandwith should be shot. They tae away the bandwith it is mine. Mine.
    MINE. IT IS MINE!!11!!!

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  7. Re: Wireless Keyboards and Mice

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Claude Hopper wrote:-

    >Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    >> Are wireless keyboards and mice recognized out of
    >> the box in Open Suse 11.0 or do they take special
    >> setup work?

    >I had to take it out of the box to put batteries in it.
    >Works fine after that, just eats batteries. Get rechargeable.

    I found that too, especially the mouse. Mind you, the mouse uses two AAA
    batteries while the keyboard uses four AA batteries. Using four alkaline
    batteries in the keyboard means I don't have to replace them more than
    once per year. The mouse, on the other hand, would suck the batteries
    dry in less than two months, and even less when using rechargeable
    batteries. End results are that I now use the wireless keyboard but use
    a USB optical mouse.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
    SUSE 10.1 32 | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  8. Re: Wireless Keyboards and Mice

    David Bolt wrote:
    > I found that too, especially the mouse. Mind you, the mouse uses two AAA
    > batteries while the keyboard uses four AA batteries. Using four alkaline
    > batteries in the keyboard means I don't have to replace them more than
    > once per year. The mouse, on the other hand, would suck the batteries
    > dry in less than two months, and even less when using rechargeable
    > batteries. End results are that I now use the wireless keyboard but use
    > a USB optical mouse.

    I have a wireless Logitech trackball. Latsts for about 1-2 months. Then
    I put the 1-rechargable battery in the recharger and do something else
    for 1 hour or so. I could just have a freshly charched battery at hand,
    but this is great as well.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  9. Re: Wireless Keyboards and Mice

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >> I found that too, especially the mouse. Mind you, the mouse uses two AAA
    >> batteries while the keyboard uses four AA batteries. Using four alkaline
    >> batteries in the keyboard means I don't have to replace them more than
    >> once per year. The mouse, on the other hand, would suck the batteries
    >> dry in less than two months, and even less when using rechargeable
    >> batteries. End results are that I now use the wireless keyboard but use
    >> a USB optical mouse.

    >I have a wireless Logitech trackball. Latsts for about 1-2 months. Then
    >I put the 1-rechargable battery in the recharger and do something else
    >for 1 hour or so. I could just have a freshly charched battery at hand,
    >but this is great as well.

    I prefer a mouse to a tracker ball, although I do have one somewhere. I
    don't like it, although I do occasionally use it. I also have a couple
    of mice with the rubber balls, and I don't like them either[0],
    preferring to use an optical mouse.

    As for the tracker ball, it's a Logitech TrackMan Marble FX, with a nice
    red ball about the size of a snooker ball, but a lot lighter. It's
    covered in a pattern of black dots, and has four buttons. It's useful
    for those occasions where I'm doing an install and have very limited
    space for another keyboard and mouse, but it doesn't get used any other
    time.

    [0] I have pets and it's not funny having to remove all the fine hairs
    the cat moults from around the rollers. And this just adds another
    reason to why I don't like the wireless mouse.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
    SUSE 10.1 32 | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

  10. Re: Wireless Keyboards and Mice

    David Bolt wrote:
    > I prefer a mouse to a tracker ball, although I do have one somewhere. I
    > don't like it, although I do occasionally use it. I also have a couple
    > of mice with the rubber balls, and I don't like them either[0],
    > preferring to use an optical mouse.

    One day I started to get a little bit of RSI. Changed from a mouse to a
    trackbal and no problems anymore. Took me three days to get used to, but
    it was worth it.

    For games it is extremely unprecise. I have different trackbals at work
    an at home. At home it is wireless. At work it is wired. No special
    reason.

    Another thing I added was a mousemat with a gel wrist support. So now
    when I use th trackbal, I can lay down my hand, instead of have it hover
    around.

    > As for the tracker ball, it's a Logitech TrackMan Marble FX, with a nice
    > red ball about the size of a snooker ball, but a lot lighter. It's
    > covered in a pattern of black dots, and has four buttons. It's useful
    > for those occasions where I'm doing an install and have very limited
    > space for another keyboard and mouse, but it doesn't get used any other
    > time.

    I have three. One I do not use, because I do not like it Cordless
    TrackMan Optical
    http://dutch.ircfast.com/screenshots...79ec498b14.jpg

    At home I have Cordless TrackMan Wheel
    http://images.overstock.com/f/102/31...s/10037147.jpg
    At work I have the Tracjkman Wheel
    http://www.tir.is/assets/myndir/Lykklabor/3261image.jpg
    Basicaly because they are the same.

    I used to have a cordless presentor as well
    http://www.techedgeezine.com/images/...ter_box500.jpg
    (Bit different, as it had the ability to move around on the screen)

    The HUGE disadvantage was that it was very hard to drag stuf and such.
    You needed two hands for that. What it missed, I thought was a kind of
    revolver trigger at the bottom. Why limit yourself to only the top if
    the whiole idea of a presenter is that it is your hand.

    So something with the following:
    Take your standard remote control and imagine that there are no buttons
    yet. Seriously, hold the remote while readding this. It makes it easier
    to understand.

    Imagine a button where your index finger is. Imagine a button where
    your middle finger is. Those will be the left and right button
    (nterchangable for left/right handed people) So very easy to keep it
    pressed just as you would do now.

    Where your thumb is, you will have a ball that will direct the cursor
    around. Around that you can have three buttons. Extra left and right
    buttons and even a laser if wanted (or any number of buttons)

    Well, I just send the idea to Logitech and see if it will make me a
    milionaire. Within 6 to 8 weeks I will know exactly how many billions
    they will give me.

    houghi
    --
    Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
    mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.

  11. Re: Wireless Keyboards and Mice

    houghi wrote:
    > David Bolt wrote:
    >> I prefer a mouse to a tracker ball, although I do have one somewhere. I
    >> don't like it, although I do occasionally use it. I also have a couple
    >> of mice with the rubber balls, and I don't like them either[0],
    >> preferring to use an optical mouse.

    > One day I started to get a little bit of RSI. Changed from a mouse to a
    > trackbal and no problems anymore. Took me three days to get used to, but
    > it was worth it.
    >
    > For games it is extremely unprecise. I have different trackbals at work
    > an at home. At home it is wireless. At work it is wired. No special
    > reason.
    >
    > Another thing I added was a mousemat with a gel wrist support. So now
    > when I use th trackbal, I can lay down my hand, instead of have it hover
    > around.
    >
    >> As for the tracker ball, it's a Logitech TrackMan Marble FX, with a nice
    >> red ball about the size of a snooker ball, but a lot lighter. It's
    >> covered in a pattern of black dots, and has four buttons. It's useful
    >> for those occasions where I'm doing an install and have very limited
    >> space for another keyboard and mouse, but it doesn't get used any other
    >> time.

    > I have three. One I do not use, because I do not like it Cordless
    > TrackMan Optical
    > http://dutch.ircfast.com/screenshots...79ec498b14.jpg
    >
    > At home I have Cordless TrackMan Wheel
    > http://images.overstock.com/f/102/31...s/10037147.jpg
    > At work I have the Tracjkman Wheel
    > http://www.tir.is/assets/myndir/Lykklabor/3261image.jpg
    > Basicaly because they are the same.
    >
    > I used to have a cordless presentor as well
    > http://www.techedgeezine.com/images/...ter_box500.jpg
    > (Bit different, as it had the ability to move around on the screen)
    >
    > The HUGE disadvantage was that it was very hard to drag stuf and such.
    > You needed two hands for that. What it missed, I thought was a kind of
    > revolver trigger at the bottom. Why limit yourself to only the top if
    > the whiole idea of a presenter is that it is your hand.
    >
    > So something with the following:
    > Take your standard remote control and imagine that there are no buttons
    > yet. Seriously, hold the remote while readding this. It makes it easier
    > to understand.
    >
    > Imagine a button where your index finger is. Imagine a button where
    > your middle finger is. Those will be the left and right button
    > (nterchangable for left/right handed people) So very easy to keep it
    > pressed just as you would do now.
    >
    > Where your thumb is, you will have a ball that will direct the cursor
    > around. Around that you can have three buttons. Extra left and right
    > buttons and even a laser if wanted (or any number of buttons)
    >
    > Well, I just send the idea to Logitech and see if it will make me a
    > milionaire. Within 6 to 8 weeks I will know exactly how many billions
    > they will give me.
    >
    > houghi

    Now they can stick a wire in your brain and you can move the pointer
    just by thinking about it.

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ? ? ¥