Networkmanager Problem (openSuSE 11) - Suse

This is a discussion on Networkmanager Problem (openSuSE 11) - Suse ; Hello Group, Networkmanager claims to make networking easier but I experience massive problems with it. And that is kind of sad as everything worked well before the update to openSuSE 11 from openSuSE 10.3. I'm having a Broadcom wlan card ...

  1. Networkmanager Problem (openSuSE 11)

    Hello Group,

    Networkmanager claims to make networking easier but I experience
    massive problems with it. And that is kind of sad as everything worked
    well before the update to openSuSE 11 from openSuSE 10.3.

    I'm having a Broadcom wlan card for which I use the ndiswrapper driver
    (I've also tried the b43 driver, same results). My wlan card works and
    I'm able to establish a successful connection to my (WPA-PSK) access
    point by

    "sudo ifconfig wlan0 up && /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dwext -iwlan0
    -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf && dhclient wlan0"

    However, I have no such luck with using (K)NetworkManager. It is not
    able to scan and therefore doesn't provide a list of available
    networks. I manually configured my network by giving it the ESSID and
    key and clicking "auto connect". But that doesn't work, when I
    manually click to connect to my network NetworkManager only knows to
    say:

    NetworkManager:nm_supplicant_interface_set_config: assertion
    `NM_IS_SUPPLICANT_INTERFACE
    (self)' failed

    NetworkManager version is 0.7.0.r3685-7.2-i586
    wpa_supplicant version 0.5.10.37.1-i586

    I'm out of ideas, I'm trying to fix this since ages. Any help would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Stefan

  2. Re: Networkmanager Problem (openSuSE 11)

    Stefan wrote:
    > Hello Group,
    >
    > Networkmanager claims to make networking easier but I experience
    > massive problems with it. And that is kind of sad as everything worked
    > well before the update to openSuSE 11 from openSuSE 10.3.

    Wow. That is NOT my experience with the very young, very immature,
    very presumptive and sometimes VERY wrong NetworkManager.

    I'm not merely talking about its lack of stability... but the
    fundamental assumptions it has made (some it no longer makes, some
    it still makes) that are just wrong.

    > I'm having a Broadcom wlan card for which I use the ndiswrapper driver
    > (I've also tried the b43 driver, same results). My wlan card works and
    > I'm able to establish a successful connection to my (WPA-PSK) access
    > point by
    >
    > "sudo ifconfig wlan0 up && /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dwext -iwlan0
    > -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf && dhclient wlan0"
    >
    > However, I have no such luck with using (K)NetworkManager. It is not
    > able to scan and therefore doesn't provide a list of available
    > networks. I manually configured my network by giving it the ESSID and
    > key and clicking "auto connect". But that doesn't work, when I
    > manually click to connect to my network NetworkManager only knows to
    > say:
    >
    > NetworkManager:nm_supplicant_interface_set_config: assertion
    > `NM_IS_SUPPLICANT_INTERFACE
    > (self)' failed
    >
    > NetworkManager version is 0.7.0.r3685-7.2-i586
    > wpa_supplicant version 0.5.10.37.1-i586
    >
    > I'm out of ideas, I'm trying to fix this since ages. Any help would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    NetworkManager works ONLY in certain situations. Now.. the same thing
    can be said about most software, just that perhaps NetworkManager
    works in fewer situations than "most".

    Not sure if you dabble in programming, but anyone who feels
    motivated to work on NetworkManager probably should... can't
    promise that everything is fixable, mainly because new and "wonderful"
    cards come out all of the time, but still...

    This I can say... while it can be fun to look at problems by
    forever kicking and screaming... if you truly need for things
    to be functional, it's sometimes easier to throw way that which
    doesn't work and obtain something that does work. Otherwise,
    kick and scream in order to probe and determine that changes
    need to be made to fix things... but if the "something" is
    so contrary... write the vendor a letter and advise everyone
    to make another selection. Then... maybe.... the vendor who
    created the thing will ask, "Should I make this device easier
    to understand and work with?"

  3. Re: Networkmanager Problem (openSuSE 11)

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > NetworkManager works ONLY in certain situations. Now.. the same thing
    > can be said about most software, just that perhaps NetworkManager
    > works in fewer situations than "most".

    I have never even tried Network Manager. No idea why they put it there,
    because for me the old way worked. Probably something to do with ease of
    use when using wireless and switching networks.

    For me the old way always worked and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I
    have seen that they have changed default on or of from openSUSE version
    to version/

    So best is if you want to use it is to run 11.1 and report back any bugs
    before it is too late.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,

+ Reply to Thread