simple bash script coomand - Suse

This is a discussion on simple bash script coomand - Suse ; Since I haven't yet figured out how to give a normal user proper permissions to run the jackd (jack daemon) with real time enabled in a real time kernel environment I've decided to write a simple script instead. I don't ...

  1. simple bash script coomand

    Since I haven't yet figured out how to give a normal user proper permissions
    to run the jackd (jack daemon) with real time enabled in a real time kernel
    environment I've decided to write a simple script instead. I don't write
    scripts often (enough) so I'll ask how to here...

    I want to start 'qjackctl' then wait for the daemon to start running before
    starting Rosegarden. When 'qjackctl starts the jack daemon it takes a few
    seconds for everything to initialize so perhaps a few second delay after
    jackd first starts up would be a good idea.

    Summarizing, a normal user runs the script which does the following:

    1. Ask for root password
    2. Starts the 'qjackctl' application and waits a few seconds (easily
    editable variable in script)
    3. Starts Rosegarden.

    Therefore Rosegarden will run with real time enabled using jackd.

    Of course I'll boot into the real time kernel first.

    Thanks for a simple script...

  2. Re: simple bash script coomand

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Summarizing, a normal user runs the script which does the following:
    >
    > 1. Ask for root password
    > 2. Starts the 'qjackctl' application and waits a few seconds (easily
    > editable variable in script)
    > 3. Starts Rosegarden.

    I have no idea what the programs do. As it is a deamon, is it not better
    to run it each time at boot?

    > Therefore Rosegarden will run with real time enabled using jackd.
    >
    > Of course I'll boot into the real time kernel first.
    >
    > Thanks for a simple script...

    What EXACTLY do you type as a user in a terminal to achieve this? Some
    idea:

    #!/bin/bash
    sudo qjackctl &
    sleep 2
    Rosegarden

    Absolutely untested and as I have no idea what each thing does, no idea
    if it would break things.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,

+ Reply to Thread