Lost write permission on /dev/null - Suse

This is a discussion on Lost write permission on /dev/null - Suse ; My wife was unable to log on this morning and after investigation I saw that she did not have write access to /dev/null; once I fixed the permissions she was able to log on as usual. Does anybody have a ...

  1. Lost write permission on /dev/null

    My wife was unable to log on this morning and after investigation I saw
    that she did not have write access to /dev/null; once I fixed the
    permissions she was able to log on as usual. Does anybody have a
    suggestion as to what would be mucking around with /dev/null's permission
    mask? Thanks.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  2. Re: Lost write permission on /dev/null

    On Sat, 8 Nov 2008, Shmuel Metz wrote:-

    >My wife was unable to log on this morning and after investigation I saw
    >that she did not have write access to /dev/null; once I fixed the
    >permissions she was able to log on as usual. Does anybody have a
    >suggestion as to what would be mucking around with /dev/null's permission
    >mask? Thanks.

    The only time I've seen this happen was years ago (SuSE 9.[01] era) when
    a script deleted /dev/null before recreating it as an ordinary file. I'm
    not sure what the script was, possibly something to do with the Bulldog
    UPS I was using at the time. I do recall that the Linux drivers for that
    had a pretty stupid installation and removal script that installed a
    pretty crappy script in /etc/init.d to provide info about the status of
    the UPS.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
    SUSE 10.1 32 | | openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b
    | openSUSE 10.2 64b | openSUSE 10.3 64b | openSUSE 11.0 64b
    RISC OS 3.6 | TOS 4.02 | openSUSE 10.3 PPC | RISC OS 3.11

+ Reply to Thread