PC Choice - Suse

This is a discussion on PC Choice - Suse ; I am buying myself a new computer and monitor for Christmas. Does anyone have any preferences for either Dell or HP for running Linux? Another question; I am going to install Suse, one reason being that KDE is suppose to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

  1. PC Choice

    I am buying myself a new computer and monitor for
    Christmas.

    Does anyone have any preferences for either Dell
    or HP for running Linux?

    Another question; I am going to install Suse, one
    reason being that KDE is suppose to be a LOT more
    stable under Suse than on Ubuntu - Ubuntu 8.10,
    at least.

    I was wondering if down the line after installing
    Suse, it would also be possible to install Ubuntu
    or Kbuntu on another partition and have the boot
    loader recognize the "doze" and also both linux
    distros.

  2. Re: PC Choice

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 14:40:42 -0500
    "Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:

    >I am buying myself a new computer and monitor for
    >Christmas.
    >
    >Does anyone have any preferences for either Dell
    >or HP for running Linux?

    I never buy brand names. If I don't put it together myself then I buy
    generic and upgrade whatever is lacking. Dell and HP are both a pain to
    work on, if you have to get inside them and my experience has been
    *terrible* with both of them. That said, if I *had* to pick, it would
    be HP . . . :-)

    >I was wondering if down the line after installing
    >Suse, it would also be possible to install Ubuntu
    >or Kbuntu on another partition and have the boot
    >loader recognize the "doze" and also both linux
    >distros.

    Yes. Make sure Windows is the first one installed (I am assuming that
    is the case since you are buying new).

    BTW, both 'anywhere.com' and 'somewhere.com' are legitimate domains --
    if you didn't get permission to use them, please consider changing your
    'From' and 'Reply-To' addresses.

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.18-0.2-pae
    1:05pm up 11 days 16:56, 21 users, load average: 0.20, 0.20, 0.18

  3. Re: PC Choice

    Paul E. Lehmann schrieb:
    > I am buying myself a new computer and monitor for
    > Christmas.
    >
    > Does anyone have any preferences for either Dell
    > or HP for running Linux?

    I suppose there's no general rule, but:
    I have a Dell Optiplex GX280 desktop (3 years old) and an HP 550 laptop
    (brandnew) and both work beautifully with opensuse 10.3. Hardware is
    recognized out-of-the-box, as they say.

    Luca
    --
    "There are two things in the world
    you never wanna let people see

  4. Re: PC Choice

    Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    > Does anyone have any preferences for either Dell
    > or HP for running Linux?

    I build my PCs myself, because then _I_ can decide what goes in it.

    > Another question; I am going to install Suse, one
    > reason being that KDE is suppose to be a LOT more
    > stable under Suse than on Ubuntu - Ubuntu 8.10,
    > at least.

    I doubt that.

    > I was wondering if down the line after installing
    > Suse, it would also be possible to install Ubuntu
    > or Kbuntu on another partition and have the boot
    > loader recognize the "doze" and also both linux
    > distros.

    Yes.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  5. Re: PC Choice

    Kevin Nathan wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 14:40:42 -0500
    > "Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:
    >
    >>I am buying myself a new computer and monitor
    >>for Christmas.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any preferences for either Dell
    >>or HP for running Linux?
    >>

    > I never buy brand names. If I don't put it
    > together myself then I buy generic and upgrade
    > whatever is lacking. Dell and HP are both a pain
    > to work on, if you have to get inside them and
    > my experience has been *terrible* with both of
    > them. That said, if I *had* to pick, it would be
    > HP . . . :-)
    >

    >>I was wondering if down the line after
    >>installing Suse, it would also be possible to
    >>install Ubuntu or Kbuntu on another partition
    >>and have the boot loader recognize the "doze"
    >>and also both linux distros.

    > Yes. Make sure Windows is the first one
    > installed (I am assuming that is the case since
    > you are buying new).
    >
    > BTW, both 'anywhere.com' and 'somewhere.com' are
    > legitimate domains -- if you didn't get
    > permission to use them, please consider changing
    > your 'From' and 'Reply-To' addresses.

    I did not know that. Thanx for the info

  6. Re: PC Choice

    houghi wrote:

    > Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    >> Does anyone have any preferences for either
    >> Dell or HP for running Linux?

    > I build my PCs myself, because then _I_ can
    > decide what goes in it.
    >
    >> Another question; I am going to install Suse,
    >> one reason being that KDE is suppose to be a
    >> LOT more stable under Suse than on Ubuntu -
    >> Ubuntu 8.10, at least.

    > I doubt that.

    That has been the concensus on the Ubuntu
    newsgroup. I personally, do not know. Maybe
    "stable" is not the correct word but those who
    have used both say that KDE under Kbuntu 8.1
    sucks and that it works a lot better under open
    Suse.

    >> I was wondering if down the line after
    >> installing Suse, it would also be possible to
    >> install Ubuntu or Kbuntu on another partition
    >> and have the boot loader recognize the "doze"
    >> and also both linux distros.

    > Yes.
    >
    > houghi

  7. Re: PC Choice

    Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    > I am buying myself a new computer and monitor for
    > Christmas.
    >
    > Does anyone have any preferences for either Dell
    > or HP for running Linux?

    Neither. I pick each hardware component carefully after checking if it
    works flawless in Linux.

    > Another question; I am going to install Suse, one
    > reason being that KDE is suppose to be a LOT more
    > stable under Suse than on Ubuntu - Ubuntu 8.10,
    > at least.

    Not only more stable, but the visuals are also better

    > I was wondering if down the line after installing
    > Suse, it would also be possible to install Ubuntu
    > or Kbuntu on another partition and have the boot
    > loader recognize the "doze" and also both linux
    > distros.

    Yes, you can install as many distros as you want. But if it's only for
    just trying them out, I recommend installing them in VirtualBox or VMWare.

  8. Re: PC Choice

    Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    >>> Another question; I am going to install Suse,
    >>> one reason being that KDE is suppose to be a
    >>> LOT more stable under Suse than on Ubuntu -
    >>> Ubuntu 8.10, at least.

    >> I doubt that.

    > That has been the concensus on the Ubuntu
    > newsgroup. I personally, do not know. Maybe
    > "stable" is not the correct word but those who
    > have used both say that KDE under Kbuntu 8.1
    > sucks and that it works a lot better under open
    > Suse.

    Then you have not read what people thought of KDE 4 when it came out.
    ;-)

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  9. Re: PC Choice

    houghi wrote:

    >>> I doubt that.

    >> That has been the concensus on the Ubuntu
    >> newsgroup. I personally, do not know. Maybe
    >> "stable" is not the correct word but those who
    >> have used both say that KDE under Kbuntu 8.1
    >> sucks and that it works a lot better under open
    >> Suse.

    > Then you have not read what people thought of
    > KDE 4 when it came out. ;-)
    >
    > houghi

    OK, I'll bite. What is the opinion from this
    group of Open Suse and Kde?

  10. Re: PC Choice

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 14:40:42 -0500, Paul E. Lehmann wrote:

    > I am buying myself a new computer and monitor for Christmas.
    >
    > Does anyone have any preferences for either Dell or HP for running
    > Linux?

    DELL actually has computer for sale with Linux pre-loaded - no MS tax. I'm
    not aware of similar offerings from HP.

    > Another question; I am going to install Suse, one reason being that KDE
    > is suppose to be a LOT more stable under Suse than on Ubuntu - Ubuntu
    > 8.10, at least.
    >
    > I was wondering if down the line after installing Suse, it would also be
    > possible to install Ubuntu or Kbuntu on another partition and have the
    > boot loader recognize the "doze" and also both linux distros.

    Absolutely - though you may have to include the Linux distros by hand -
    Linux installs seem to be much better at setting up MS boots than other
    Linux systems - go figure.

  11. Re: PC Choice

    On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 21:49:30 +0100
    houghi wrote:

    >Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    >
    >> Another question; I am going to install Suse, one
    >> reason being that KDE is suppose to be a LOT more
    >> stable under Suse than on Ubuntu - Ubuntu 8.10,
    >> at least.

    >I doubt that.

    I can verify that. Most of our clients are on Kubuntu and this last
    upgrade was an abortion! We've spent almost two weeks fixing problems
    in KDE on Kubuntu -- most fonts were missing at least on half the
    computers and various other. I thought we'd switched to Windows! ;-)

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.18-0.2-pae
    8:02pm up 11 days 23:53, 21 users, load average: 0.30, 0.23, 0.19

  12. Re: PC Choice

    On 2008-11-09, Kevin Nathan wrote:
    > On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 21:49:30 +0100
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >>Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    >>
    >>> Another question; I am going to install Suse, one
    >>> reason being that KDE is suppose to be a LOT more
    >>> stable under Suse than on Ubuntu - Ubuntu 8.10,
    >>> at least.

    >>I doubt that.
    >>

    > I can verify that. Most of our clients are on Kubuntu and this last
    > upgrade was an abortion! We've spent almost two weeks fixing problems
    > in KDE on Kubuntu -- most fonts were missing at least on half the
    > computers and various other. I thought we'd switched to Windows! ;-)

    I'm almost certain that all that is KDE4?

    With nearly no experience of Kbuntu I think that KDE3 works
    anywhere while KDE4 still needs some maturing.

    (To be politically correct)

    Well, at least two years I can still run KDE3 (sigh)

    Vahis
    --
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "There will come a time when every evil

  13. Re: PC Choice

    Paul E. Lehmann schreef:

    > OK, I'll bite. What is the opinion from this
    > group of Open Suse and Kde?

    KDE3 is solid as a rock.
    Default KDE4 is very imature on OpenSUSE 11.0.
    I run KDE4.1x from the factory repo's and that is a LOT more stable than KDE4.0x.

    Though still not as mature as KDE3, i find KDE4.1.x to be very usable and even sometimes better than KDE3.

    First i run KDE4 alongside of KDE3 just to check it out.
    But now it's stable enough to be used for my every day tasks.
    Also, i think that inovation for KDE apps will go to KDE4 apps.
    KDE3 apps will remain the same as they are now.

    If KDE3 does everyting you need it to do, there is no point in to going for KDE4.
    But i like the way KDE4 is going, so i'm gonna stick with it depite some glitches here and there. (like word wrap not working in knode)
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  14. Re: PC Choice

    Kevin Nathan wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 14:40:42 -0500
    > "Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:
    >
    >>I am buying myself a new computer and monitor for
    >>Christmas.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any preferences for either Dell
    >>or HP for running Linux?
    >>

    > I never buy brand names. If I don't put it together myself then I buy
    > generic and upgrade whatever is lacking. Dell and HP are both a pain
    > to work on, if you have to get inside them and my experience has been
    > *terrible* with both of them. That said, if I *had* to pick, it would
    > be HP . . . :-)

    So which one? ProLiant X86 ;-) These big companies do offer everything
    from cheap and awful crap up to very good desktop systems. As this is a
    suse list it might be worth checking the list of hardware certified for
    SLE: e.g.
    for HP dc5850
    (just as an example, I do have no experience with this PC)
    It will be hard to find a piece of desktop hardware running SLED that
    will not be functional with OpenSuSE. But then one should check
    carefully for the details, especially on 3D support and ACPI
    functionality (CPU speed, suspend functions etc).

    G√ľnther

  15. Re: PC Choice

    Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    > OK, I'll bite. What is the opinion from this
    > group of Open Suse and Kde?

    Both KDE and GNOME are evil to lure you back to Windows.

    houghi
    | Artist : Santana
    | Song : Samba Pa Ti
    | Album : Very Best Of

  16. Re: PC Choice

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > Paul E. Lehmann schreef:
    >
    >> OK, I'll bite. What is the opinion from this
    >> group of Open Suse and Kde?
    >>

    > KDE3 is solid as a rock.
    > Default KDE4 is very imature on OpenSUSE 11.0.
    > I run KDE4.1x from the factory repo's and that is a LOT more stable than KDE4.0x.
    >
    > Though still not as mature as KDE3, i find KDE4.1.x to be very usable and even sometimes better than KDE3.
    >
    > First i run KDE4 alongside of KDE3 just to check it out.
    > But now it's stable enough to be used for my every day tasks.
    > Also, i think that inovation for KDE apps will go to KDE4 apps.
    > KDE3 apps will remain the same as they are now.
    >
    > If KDE3 does everyting you need it to do, there is no point in to going for KDE4.
    > But i like the way KDE4 is going, so i'm gonna stick with it depite some glitches here and there. (like word wrap not working in knode)

    How could they possibly build something that is worse than the previous
    model? Why would they; and release it as if it were better?

    --
    Claude Hopper

  17. Re: PC Choice

    Claude Hopper wrote:
    > Chris Maaskant wrote:
    >> Paul E. Lehmann schreef:
    >>
    >>> OK, I'll bite. What is the opinion from this
    >>> group of Open Suse and Kde?
    >>>

    >> KDE3 is solid as a rock.
    >> Default KDE4 is very imature on OpenSUSE 11.0.
    >> I run KDE4.1x from the factory repo's and that is a LOT more stable than KDE4.0x.
    >>
    >> Though still not as mature as KDE3, i find KDE4.1.x to be very usable and even sometimes better than KDE3.
    >>
    >> First i run KDE4 alongside of KDE3 just to check it out.
    >> But now it's stable enough to be used for my every day tasks.
    >> Also, i think that inovation for KDE apps will go to KDE4 apps.
    >> KDE3 apps will remain the same as they are now.
    >>
    >> If KDE3 does everyting you need it to do, there is no point in to going for KDE4.
    >> But i like the way KDE4 is going, so i'm gonna stick with it depite some glitches here and there. (like word wrap not working in knode)

    > How could they possibly build something that is worse than the previous
    > model? Why would they; and release it as if it were better?

    If you ask me it was an attempt to bung up something that was good.

    --
    Claude Hopper

  18. Re: PC Choice

    Claude Hopper wrote:
    > How could they possibly build something that is worse than the previous
    > model? Why would they; and release it as if it were better?

    To annoy everybody. (And people say there are no stupid questions)

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  19. Re: PC Choice

    Claude Hopper schreef:

    > How could they possibly build something that is worse than the previous
    > model? Why would they; and release it as if it were better?

    Because they've got the balls to do it.

    Anyway you don't have to use it.
    And as for OpenSUSE, when you install OpenSUSE 11.0 it is clearly stated during the install process that KDE4 is imature and one should choose KDE3 for a stable desktop.

    I find that KDE4 is maturing very rapidly, and like i said i find it to be better in some cases.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  20. Re: PC Choice

    houghi schreef:

    > Both KDE and GNOME are evil to lure you back to Windows.

    You're saying windows is better than windowmaker? ;-)
    --
    Chris Maaskant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast