PC Choice - Suse

This is a discussion on PC Choice - Suse ; Paul E. Lehmann wrote: > houghi wrote: > >> Paul E. Lehmann wrote: >>>>> Another question; I am going to install >>>>> Suse, one reason being that KDE is suppose to >>>>> be a LOT more stable under Suse than ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

  1. Re: PC Choice

    Paul E. Lehmann wrote:

    > houghi wrote:

    >>> That has been the concensus on the Ubuntu
    >>> newsgroup. I personally, do not know. Maybe
    >>> "stable" is not the correct word but those who
    >>> have used both say that KDE under Kbuntu 8.1
    >>> sucks and that it works a lot better under open
    >>> Suse.

    >> Then you have not read what people thought of
    >> KDE 4 when it came out. ;-)
    >>
    >> houghi

    > OK, I'll bite. What is the opinion from this
    > group of Open Suse and Kde?

    Good

    There are the blowhards who think that CMD line is the only way to work.
    But everyone to his own tastes
    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    Form follows malfunction.

  2. Re: PC Choice

    Chris Maaskant wrote:

    > Claude Hopper schreef:
    >
    >> How could they possibly build something that is
    >> worse than the previous model? Why would they;
    >> and release it as if it were better?

    > Because they've got the balls to do it.
    >
    > Anyway you don't have to use it.
    > And as for OpenSUSE, when you install OpenSUSE
    > 11.0 it is clearly stated during the install
    > process that KDE4 is imature and one should
    > choose KDE3 for a stable desktop.

    If I choose to install KDE4 is it possible to go
    back afterwords and install KDE3 in its place
    without jumping through a lot of hoops and
    spending hours? Next question is it easy to
    update KDE4 whenever there is a more stable
    version of KDE4?

    > I find that KDE4 is maturing very rapidly, and
    > like i said i find it to be better in some
    > cases.

  3. Re: PC Choice

    Paul E. Lehmann schreef:

    > If I choose to install KDE4 is it possible to go
    > back afterwords and install KDE3 in its place
    > without jumping through a lot of hoops and
    > spending hours? Next question is it easy to
    > update KDE4 whenever there is a more stable
    > version of KDE4?

    Sure, i've got KDE3 and KDE4 installed without any issues.
    Only thing that happens is that more applications get installed.
    Some double even, like KDE3's konqueror and KDE4's konqueror.

    But they don't interfere with eachother, so no problems.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  4. Re: PC Choice

    Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
    > If I choose to install KDE4 is it possible to go
    > back afterwords and install KDE3 in its place
    > without jumping through a lot of hoops and
    > spending hours? Next question is it easy to
    > update KDE4 whenever there is a more stable
    > version of KDE4?

    KDE4 is seperately from KDE3. You can have KDE4, KDE3, GNOME,
    Windowmaker, Blowfish and others next to each other.

    Amd there is already an easy update available for openSUSE 11.0. Use
    google to find the link.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  5. Re: PC Choice

    Chris Maaskant wrote:

    > houghi schreef:
    >
    >> Both KDE and GNOME are evil to lure you back to Windows.

    > You're saying windows is better than windowmaker? ;-)

    How did you get that idea? GNOME and KDE are there to drag you down back
    into the swamp. Windowmaker is the enlightment, while enlightment is not
    a bad window maker.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  6. Re: PC Choice

    Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  7. Re: PC Choice

    houghi wrote:

    > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
    >

    > houghi

    What? So nobody is allowed to change ISPs in your mind?
    Just for your info (I type *very* slowly that you have a fighting chance to
    understand it): I have posted with these headers several month already

    Are you really that insane or did you just miss your drugs for weeks?

    Idiot
    --
    Don't abandon hope: your Tom Mix decoder ring arrives tomorrow

  8. Re: PC Choice

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 06:31:13 GMT
    Vahis wrote:

    >I'm almost certain that all that is KDE4?

    KDE 3.5.8 -- they didn't even go to 3.5.9!

    >With nearly no experience of Kbuntu I think that KDE3 works
    >anywhere while KDE4 still needs some maturing.

    I think the Kubuntu folks are just not paying attention to details. Our
    biggest problem was missing fonts -- who expects to not have available
    Courier or Helvetica? And why were there *no* UTF-8 fonts? After I
    figured out the font problems, I got the hell out and let others chase
    down everything else.

    This is the third upgrade we've done and the only one that has blown up
    this bad. Almost lost a client over this. Our test computer upgraded
    just fine (it seemed), and half the computers at this client were ok.
    Unfortunately, one of the upgrades that blew up there was the CEO's
    computer! Not good . . . :-)

    >Well, at least two years I can still run KDE3 (sigh)

    I'm still liking KDE 3.5.9 -- as far as I can like KDE! :-) I had fun
    playing with the buggy KDE4 at first install of 11.0 and can see that I
    may like the direction they are going. Will have to wait and see.

    I have to stay as much up to speed on KDE as possible since our clients
    use it, having come from Windows they are more comfortable with it. I'm
    still going through the other WMs and DMs to find my new 'main' desktop.
    WindowMaker is beginning to gain ground on icewm, but I haven't had the
    time to get comfortable with it, yet.

    --
    Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
    Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)

    Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
    The command line is the front line.
    Linux 2.6.25.18-0.2-pae
    11:01am up 12 days 14:53, 20 users, load average: 0.14, 0.08, 0.07

  9. Re: PC Choice

    houghi schreef:

    >> You're saying windows is better than windowmaker? ;-)

    > How did you get that idea? GNOME and KDE are there to drag you down back
    > into the swamp. Windowmaker is the enlightment, while enlightment is not
    > a bad window maker.

    All more of the same **** if you aske me.
    Windows, menus, icons, taskbars and a clock :s
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  10. Minimalist window managers

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:50:18 +0100, Chris Maaskant wailed:
    > All more of the same s***t if you aske me. Windows, menus, icons,
    > taskbars and a clock :s

    Ratpoison then?

  11. Re: PC Choice

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > houghi schreef:
    >
    >>> You're saying windows is better than windowmaker? ;-)

    >> How did you get that idea? GNOME and KDE are there to drag you down back
    >> into the swamp. Windowmaker is the enlightment, while enlightment is not
    >> a bad window maker.
    >>

    > All more of the same **** if you aske me.
    > Windows, menus, icons, taskbars and a clock :s

    Taskbar? Where? Icons? Where?

    Icons are the most stupid invention ever. Who came up with the idea: let
    us put things you need to click on in a place where you can see them,
    but once you clicked on one, you can't anymore, because there is a
    program in front of it. Idiots.

    The raskbar in itself is not too bad, but having only one place to find
    your 50.000 programs is also just silly. Then you can see what programs
    you are running. Well, I launched them, so I know what I am running. No
    need to think I am stupid and remember me.

    I have multiple desktops and use them.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  12. Re: Minimalist window managers

    J G Miller wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:50:18 +0100, Chris Maaskant wailed:
    > > All more of the same s***t if you aske me. Windows, menus, icons,
    > > taskbars and a clock :s

    > Ratpoison then?

    What would I do with my 50.000+ wallpapers?

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,

  13. Re: Minimalist window managers

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 00:40:00 +0100, J G Miller wrote:

    >On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:50:18 +0100, Chris Maaskant wailed:
    > > All more of the same s***t if you aske me. Windows, menus, icons,
    > > taskbars and a clock :s

    >Ratpoison then?

    try the Gentoo Live CD

    XFCE

  14. Re: PC Choice

    houghi schreef:

    > Taskbar? Where? Icons? Where?
    >
    > Icons are the most stupid invention ever. Who came up with the idea: let
    > us put things you need to click on in a place where you can see them,
    > but once you clicked on one, you can't anymore, because there is a
    > program in front of it. Idiots.

    I couldn't agree more.

    > The raskbar in itself is not too bad, but having only one place to find
    > your 50.000 programs is also just silly. Then you can see what programs
    > you are running. Well, I launched them, so I know what I am running. No
    > need to think I am stupid and remember me.
    >
    > I have multiple desktops and use them.

    Even if i would use multiple desktops, i still wouldn't know where my program
    windows is without a taskbar, i'd have to browse through my desktops to find it.
    Nah, the taskbar is OK :-)

    --
    Chris Maaskant

  15. Re: Minimalist window managers

    J G Miller schreef:

    > On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:50:18 +0100, Chris Maaskant wailed:
    > > All more of the same s***t if you aske me. Windows, menus, icons,
    > > taskbars and a clock :s

    > Ratpoison then?

    No i like it all, except icons (on the desktop that is).

    --
    Chris Maaskant

  16. Re: Minimalist window managers

    AnimalMagic wrote:
    > try the Gentoo Live CD
    >
    > XFCE

    I tried XFCE for several months and it feels unfinished. What they need
    is a GOOD configuration tool. Too many things need hacking with e,g,
    Devilspie.

    If they would put devilspie in XFCE and a good configuration tool, I
    would be a user. The disadvantage of Windowmaker is that many tools are
    not developed any further.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,
    than, say fashion TV - where hot models walk down the runway.

  17. Re: PC Choice

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    >> I have multiple desktops and use them.

    > Even if i would use multiple desktops, i still wouldn't know where my program
    > windows is without a taskbar, i'd have to browse through my desktops to find it.
    > Nah, the taskbar is OK :-)

    Yes, you would, because you would launch and have the same programs open
    in the same desktop. I am not even looking and I know that on desktop 1
    I have browser, liferea and slrn
    Desktop 2 is for multimedia and graphics
    Desktop 3 is for yast and configuration
    Desktop 4 is for programming and bittorrent
    Desktop 5 is for fun and games
    Desktop 6 is for testing and various
    This over two screens

    The third screen is
    Desktop 1: logfiles
    Desktop 2: tv
    Desktop 3: vnc to portable
    Desktop 4: vnc to test PC

    So that is 16 desktops.

    The third screen also shows the test PC via KVM.

    As all my main programs are open anyway, and as they are always in the
    same place, I know where they are. Having programs open (even many) does
    not slow my machine down in any way that I notice.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,
    than, say fashion TV - where hot models walk down the runway.

  18. Re: PC Choice

    In article news:<_OCdnbl6o-55aYvUnZ2dnUVZ_jadnZ2d@giganews.com>, Claude
    Hopper wrote:
    > How could they possibly build something that is worse than the
    > previous model? Why would they; and release it as if it were better?

    The point, surely, is that the KDE3 code is old and starting to creak at
    the seams (code does rot, you know) and they wanted a new codebase on
    which to base future development -- hence KDE4.

    KDE4 doesn't yet have all the functionality of KDE3 but it has enough to
    be usable -- there are probably KDE3 users who don't use any of the
    features that KDE4 lacks -- and releasing it gets it some large-scale
    real-world testing.

    I've no problem with that. If you don't like it stick with KDE3 until
    KDE4 catches up.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  19. Re: Minimalist window managers

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 01:08:18 +0100, houghi wrote:
    > What would I do with my 50.000+ wallpapers?

    Use chbg

    which works very well with WindowMaker as well.

  20. Re: Minimalist window managers

    J G Miller wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 01:08:18 +0100, houghi wrote:
    > > What would I do with my 50.000+ wallpapers?

    > Use chbg
    >

    > which works very well with WindowMaker as well.

    No 64 bit and the last version is from 2008-08-08 and the homepage does
    not exist anymore. That does not bode well.

    houghi