Gaining xload access to other *nix boxes - Suse

This is a discussion on Gaining xload access to other *nix boxes - Suse ; I have a minor annoyance that I am trying to resolve. I have a network (home) that consists of a firewall, 3 *nix boxes and a XP box. Iuse one *nix box for Apache/perl development, the other as a media ...

  1. Gaining xload access to other *nix boxes

    I have a minor annoyance that I am trying to resolve. I have a network
    (home) that consists of a firewall, 3 *nix boxes and a XP box. Iuse one
    *nix box for Apache/perl development, the other as a media server and the
    3rd is my main development box. The XP is the wife's puter.

    What I want to be able to do is check the load avg (xload) on the
    computers from any given *nix desktop. If there was a way I could monitor
    the XP box as well, that would be great!

    Back in my undergrad days, I could do this, but sadly, over the course of
    time (and subsequent moves), I lost my reference materials on how to set
    this up. I have googled and looked at a number of different reference
    articles but nothing has completely answered what I am trying to do.

    Yes, I have set xhost+ on all computers.

    Thanks in advance,

    Joe

  2. Re: Gaining xload access to other *nix boxes

    joe cipale wrote:
    > I have a minor annoyance that I am trying to resolve. I have a network
    > (home) that consists of a firewall, 3 *nix boxes and a XP box. Iuse one
    > *nix box for Apache/perl development, the other as a media server and the
    > 3rd is my main development box. The XP is the wife's puter.
    >
    > What I want to be able to do is check the load avg (xload) on the
    > computers from any given *nix desktop. If there was a way I could monitor
    > the XP box as well, that would be great!
    >
    > Back in my undergrad days, I could do this, but sadly, over the course of
    > time (and subsequent moves), I lost my reference materials on how to set
    > this up. I have googled and looked at a number of different reference
    > articles but nothing has completely answered what I am trying to do.
    >
    > Yes, I have set xhost+ on all computers.

    You might be interested in snmpd and snmpwalk with grep
    to find the parameter you're looking for.

    HTH,
    --
    Charles Polisher

  3. Re: Gaining xload access to other *nix boxes

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 10:34:05 -0800, joe cipale wrote:

    > I have a minor annoyance that I am trying to resolve. I have a network
    > (home) that consists of a firewall, 3 *nix boxes and a XP box. Iuse one
    > *nix box for Apache/perl development, the other as a media server and
    > the 3rd is my main development box. The XP is the wife's puter.
    >
    > What I want to be able to do is check the load avg (xload) on the
    > computers from any given *nix desktop. If there was a way I could
    > monitor the XP box as well, that would be great!
    >
    > Back in my undergrad days, I could do this, but sadly, over the course
    > of time (and subsequent moves), I lost my reference materials on how to
    > set this up. I have googled and looked at a number of different
    > reference articles but nothing has completely answered what I am trying
    > to do.
    >
    > Yes, I have set xhost+ on all computers.

    How are you accessing your *nix boxes?

    Are you ssh -X user@host

    Note the -X, that sets up X forwarding (no xhost needed). This is
    normally the recommended method of getting a remote X session now days.

    I've never used xload, but have you looked at gkrellm? It's a graphical
    system monitor application that shows you all sorts of interesting
    things. I find it very useful for monitoring the activity (and health)
    of my boxes. It may, or may not, be more suitable for what you want.
    It's available for all major distributions.

    Gkrellm does have a CPU usage graph, but it doesn't actually do the load
    average. You can get those numbers from top or directly from /proc/
    loadavg.

    Unfortunately, I don't know of any MS equivalent (especially one you can
    export to your *nix box)

    --
    Regards,
    David Bailey