WLAN on battery - Suse

This is a discussion on WLAN on battery - Suse ; Hi, When I power on IBM ThinkPad R52 with AC power connected WLAN is always activated. But when I power on notebook only with battery, WLAN is never activated and I can't activate it on any software way I tried. ...

  1. WLAN on battery

    Hi,

    When I power on IBM ThinkPad R52 with AC power connected WLAN is always
    activated. But when I power on notebook only with battery, WLAN is never
    activated and I can't activate it on any software way I tried. It is not
    up to some BIOS option because Windows on the same machine always
    activate WLAN, with or without AC power.

    I suppose that is up to kernel power management control during boot, but
    I don't know where to set up to get WLAN always automaticaly activated
    (or, at least, to be able to manualy activate). Where should I look to
    configure such thing?

    I have OpenSUSE 9.3 on this notebook.

    Thanks for any help or direction.

    --
    GI

  2. Re: WLAN on battery

    Ivan Gustin wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > When I power on IBM ThinkPad R52 with AC power connected WLAN is always
    > activated. But when I power on notebook only with battery, WLAN is never
    > activated and I can't activate it on any software way I tried. It is not
    > up to some BIOS option because Windows on the same machine always
    > activate WLAN, with or without AC power.
    >
    > I suppose that is up to kernel power management control during boot, but
    > I don't know where to set up to get WLAN always automaticaly activated
    > (or, at least, to be able to manualy activate). Where should I look to
    > configure such thing?
    >
    > I have OpenSUSE 9.3 on this notebook.
    >
    > Thanks for any help or direction.

    9.3 is no longer supported. Try downloading 11.0 and using it. 11.1 will
    be available for download in about a month.

    John

  3. Re: WLAN on battery

    John Bowling:
    > Ivan Gustin wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> When I power on IBM ThinkPad R52 with AC power connected WLAN is always
    >> activated. But when I power on notebook only with battery, WLAN is never
    >> activated and I can't activate it on any software way I tried. It is not
    >> up to some BIOS option because Windows on the same machine always
    >> activate WLAN, with or without AC power.
    >>
    >> I suppose that is up to kernel power management control during boot, but
    >> I don't know where to set up to get WLAN always automaticaly activated
    >> (or, at least, to be able to manualy activate). Where should I look to
    >> configure such thing?
    >>
    >> I have OpenSUSE 9.3 on this notebook.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help or direction.
    >>

    > 9.3 is no longer supported. Try downloading 11.0 and using it. 11.1 will
    > be available for download in about a month.

    Sorry, but this really sounds like bad MS support solution. :-)

    I'm not expecting official support (I don't think that is any kind of
    bug). If there is some startup script which switches off WLAN if running
    on battery, there must be an easy way to change this behaviour. I really
    don't need upgrading whole system/distribution just because of one
    option which I don't know how to setup in a moment, no matter how old it is.

    --
    GI

  4. Re: WLAN on battery

    Ivan Gustin wrote:

    > John Bowling:

    >> 9.3 is no longer supported. Try downloading 11.0 and using it. 11.1
    >> will be available for download in about a month.

    > Sorry, but this really sounds like bad MS support solution. :-)
    >
    > I'm not expecting official support (I don't think that is any kind of
    > bug). If there is some startup script which switches off WLAN if
    > running on battery, there must be an easy way to change this
    > behaviour. I really don't need upgrading whole system/distribution
    > just because of one option which I don't know how to setup in a
    > moment, no matter how old it is.

    Sorry, but in this specific case this is good advice. All the WLAN stuff
    has improved very much as compared to 9.3. You might try a live CD
    first or doing a parallel install to you existing system.

    G√ľnther

+ Reply to Thread