DVD ripping software - Suse

This is a discussion on DVD ripping software - Suse ; What software do you use? What I would like is put in the DVD, and get the different chapters in a subdirectory with the name of the movie. Idealy the name of the movie is automaticaly recoverd from an online ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. DVD ripping software

    What software do you use? What I would like is put in the DVD, and get
    the different chapters in a subdirectory with the name of the movie.
    Idealy the name of the movie is automaticaly recoverd from an online
    database.

    Order of importance:
    1) Easy to use (so no mencoder with 700 different parameters. Frontend
    is ok). This can be CLI or GUI.
    2) Ability to break up in chapters
    3) Full automated (e.g. pt the DVD in and it does the rest itself)

    On a related question. What are the advatages/disadvandages of
    avi/mpeg/ogg

    The latter is open source, I know. Are there thechnical differences as
    well?

    I am thinking of putting all my movies on HD.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  2. Re: DVD ripping software

    houghi wrote:

    > What software do you use? What I would like is put in the DVD, and get
    > the different chapters in a subdirectory with the name of the movie.
    > Idealy the name of the movie is automaticaly recoverd from an online
    > database.
    >
    > Order of importance:
    > 1) Easy to use (so no mencoder with 700 different parameters. Frontend
    > is ok). This can be CLI or GUI.
    > 2) Ability to break up in chapters
    > 3) Full automated (e.g. pt the DVD in and it does the rest itself)
    >
    > On a related question. What are the advatages/disadvandages of
    > avi/mpeg/ogg
    >
    > The latter is open source, I know. Are there thechnical differences as
    > well?
    >
    > I am thinking of putting all my movies on HD.
    >
    > houghi

    K9copy is the app you want
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memories/img/k9copy.png

    PS copy to iso, no shrinking to DVD5 or avi mpg ....
    (look at the setting of k9copy) ;-)
    I copy my movies to HD in 1to1 iso format that costs me only 1 euro / dvd
    backup.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: DVD ripping software

    EOS wrote:
    >> I am thinking of putting all my movies on HD.

    > K9copy is the app you want
    > http://users.telenet.be/photo-memories/img/k9copy.png
    >
    > PS copy to iso, no shrinking to DVD5 or avi mpg ....
    > (look at the setting of k9copy) ;-)
    > I copy my movies to HD in 1to1 iso format that costs me only 1 euro / dvd
    > backup.

    Copying the iso is something I have thought about as well. To me this
    would mean some 500EUR and I am not sure wether that is worth it to me.

    However if I would decide on ISO copying, why would I do it in such a
    difficult way? `dd if=/dev/sr0 of=dogma.iso bs=2k`

    That I could easily put into a minor script:
    !#/bin/bash
    TITLE=$1
    dd if=/dev/sr0 of=$TITLE.iso bs=2k

    OK, I then need to add a bit of testing, so that it works with spaces
    and a test if I entered something, but basicaly that would be it.

    That would mean I could do `drip dogma` and be done.

    Anyway, a bit into the testing. It is possible to rip each chapter into
    mpeg, but not the avi. avi however will become smaler then the mpeg.

    So I _could_ first use it to rip the mpegs and then use something else
    to turn each chapter into an avi. Not cool. Then I would be better to do
    it with a script and mencoder from the start anyway.
    Also I have no idea what codecs to select.

    An other thing I tried was dvd::rip which has also an enourmout amount
    of options, but needs at least 3 times as much time. The advantage was
    that it was possible to go to ogg. Open source is always nice. :-)

    houghi
    | Artist : Jeff Wayne
    | Song : Horsell Common And The Heat Ray
    | Album : War Of The Worlds

  4. Re: DVD ripping software

    houghi wrote:

    > However if I would decide on ISO copying, why would I do it in such a
    > difficult way? `dd if=/dev/sr0 of=dogma.iso bs=2k`

    OK, but you can delete some audio tracks en other stupid adds on the dvd
    just only video, 1 audio, 1 subtitle

    > Anyway, a bit into the testing. It is possible to rip each chapter into
    > mpeg, but not the avi. avi however will become smaler then the mpeg.
    >
    > So I could first use it to rip the mpegs and then use something else
    > to turn each chapter into an avi. Not cool. Then I would be better to do
    > it with a script and mencoder from the start anyway.
    > Also I have no idea what codecs to select.
    >
    > An other thing I tried was dvd::rip which has also an enourmout amount
    > of options, but needs at least 3 times as much time. The advantage was
    > that it was possible to go to ogg. Open source is always nice. :-)

    DVD (and iso) is a standard format why would you chance that?
    I place the iso's on a multimedia drive*
    and watch the dvd's on TV ;-)

    *
    http://store.iomega.com/section?SID=...60&secid=40419
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.10 / openSUSE 11.0

  5. Re: DVD ripping software

    houghi wrote:

    > Copying the iso is something I have thought about as well. To me this
    > would mean some 500EUR and I am not sure wether that is worth it to me.

    Hum, 1TB HD cost now +- 100 euro
    so if i count, it's now be 0.45 euro / dvd
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.10 / openSUSE 11.0

  6. Re: DVD ripping software

    On 2008-11-08, houghi wrote:
    > EOS wrote:
    >>> I am thinking of putting all my movies on HD.

    I use dvdrip. It's a perl frontend to transcode.
    Just add it with yast and rip the way you want.

    > An other thing I tried was dvd::rip which has also an enourmout amount
    > of options, but needs at least 3 times as much time. The advantage was
    > that it was possible to go to ogg. Open source is always nice. :-)

    To set up a new rip takes here 2 minutes.
    Ripping takes about 1 to 2 hours in two passes.

    I've done it so many times that I just click away a few times.

    It just rocks

    Ripping takes time, that's for sure, but I think there's no way it can
    be zapped any faster than what your hardware can do.

    Vahis
    --
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "There will come a time when every evil

  7. Re: DVD ripping software

    В Суббота 08 ноября 2008 10:24, houghi писал:
    > What software do you use? What I would like is put in the DVD, and get
    > the different chapters in a subdirectory with the name of the movie.
    > Idealy the name of the movie is automaticaly recoverd from an online
    > database.

    I am using dvd::rip. It's a frontend on transcode. Nice GUI, with several
    parameters. Very easy to use - just put the DVD in, stay with default
    paramters, click on go, and wait until the job is done

    Best regards,
    Mateusz Viste

  8. Re: DVD ripping software

    EOS wrote:
    > DVD (and iso) is a standard format why would you chance that?

    Size. 700MB instead of 4.2GB

    > I place the iso's on a multimedia drive*
    > and watch the dvd's on TV ;-)

    And that is exactly what I do NOT want to do. Perhaps when I have time,
    I will look at the out of my videocard and be able to play it there, but
    till then I watch 99.9% on my PC anyway.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  9. Re: DVD ripping software

    Vahis wrote:
    >> An other thing I tried was dvd::rip which has also an enourmout amount
    >> of options, but needs at least 3 times as much time. The advantage was
    >> that it was possible to go to ogg. Open source is always nice. :-)

    > To set up a new rip takes here 2 minutes.
    > Ripping takes about 1 to 2 hours in two passes.
    >

    > I've done it so many times that I just click away a few times.

    I have been looking, but can not find a way to do it in one go. That way
    I can put in a DVD, run the process and put in the next when ready. That
    way it can run when I go to sleep and when I go to work,

    I have 4 DVD players, so I could do 4 at the same time.

    > It just rocks
    >
    > Ripping takes time, that's for sure, but I think there's no way it can
    > be zapped any faster than what your hardware can do.

    Mmm. I think for what I need I will be looking at my own script. Looking
    at the logfile does help.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  10. Re: DVD ripping software

    On 2008-11-08, houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >>> An other thing I tried was dvd::rip which has also an enourmout amount
    >>> of options, but needs at least 3 times as much time. The advantage was
    >>> that it was possible to go to ogg. Open source is always nice. :-)

    >> To set up a new rip takes here 2 minutes.
    >> Ripping takes about 1 to 2 hours in two passes.
    >>

    >> I've done it so many times that I just click away a few times.

    > I have been looking, but can not find a way to do it in one go. That way
    > I can put in a DVD, run the process and put in the next when ready. That
    > way it can run when I go to sleep and when I go to work,
    >
    > I have 4 DVD players, so I could do 4 at the same time.

    What comes to my mind is to start a new project, rip the dvd, save the
    project, start a new instance, make a new one, rip the dvd and so on.

    Ripping doesn't take much time, it's a few minutes with a fast drive.
    When finished, eject the disk and make a new project and so on.

    When you're there, keep ripping and saving projects in several instances.

    Then later on, when you leave you put them transcoding.
    That's the stage that takes the time.

    Vahis
    --
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "There will come a time when every evil
    That we know will be an evil...
    That we can rise above" - Frank Zappa

  11. Re: DVD ripping software

    Vahis wrote:
    > Ripping doesn't take much time, it's a few minutes with a fast drive.
    > When finished, eject the disk and make a new project and so on.
    >
    > When you're there, keep ripping and saving projects in several instances.
    >
    > Then later on, when you leave you put them transcoding.
    > That's the stage that takes the time.

    Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  12. Re: DVD ripping software

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 18:55:26 +0100, houghi wrote:

    > Vahis wrote:
    >>> An other thing I tried was dvd::rip which has also an enourmout amount
    >>> of options, but needs at least 3 times as much time. The advantage was
    >>> that it was possible to go to ogg. Open source is always nice. :-)

    >> To set up a new rip takes here 2 minutes. Ripping takes about 1 to 2
    >> hours in two passes.
    >>

    >> I've done it so many times that I just click away a few times.

    > I have been looking, but can not find a way to do it in one go. That way
    > I can put in a DVD, run the process and put in the next when ready. That
    > way it can run when I go to sleep and when I go to work,

    DVD::Rip has a window that shows you the commands it is going to run.
    It's really a front end for transcode, so everything ends up being
    command line stuff.

    You could simply copy and paste those commands into a bash script and add
    variables as required to make it run without the GUI.

    --
    Regards,
    David Bailey

  13. Re: DVD ripping software

    houghi wrote:
    > What software do you use? What I would like is put in the DVD, and get
    > the different chapters in a subdirectory with the name of the movie.
    > Idealy the name of the movie is automaticaly recoverd from an online
    > database.
    >
    > Order of importance:
    > 1) Easy to use (so no mencoder with 700 different parameters. Frontend
    > is ok). This can be CLI or GUI.

    It is difficult to type:

    mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile mymovie.vob

    (main feature is USUALLY title 1... adjust if needed)

    If you just HAVE to use a GUI... you can use K3b for example
    to create pure rips (copies of the DVD). Those can be
    burnt to a new DVD and be exactly like the original. There are
    other tools out there as well. My preference is mplayer...
    but if I don't want to keep a rip and I just want a copy,
    I have used K3b for that.

    > 2) Ability to break up in chapters

    or

    mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 2-2 -dumpstream dumpfile mymovie-ch2.vob

    > 3) Full automated (e.g. pt the DVD in and it does the rest itself)

    That ones is a bit harder, but can be done... but not nearly so
    automatic. Requires a bit of work to set that up... might not
    be desirable in all cases... but if you're doing a LOT of rips,
    you could set it to execute your script (you'd have to use a script)
    when a DVD is detected instead of presenting a chooser.

    I don't have a recipe for this... I figure you probably do not
    have a stackable DVD loader... so hitting up arrow and return
    after inserting a DVD is probably not asking a lot (right?).

    > On a related question. What are the advatages/disadvandages of
    > avi/mpeg/ogg

    mpeg2 is the format on your DVD.

    avi is a container that often times is used to house (for example)
    DivX or Xvid format video. I'm odd.. I actually like Divx because
    I can seem to encode that much faster than Xvid. Though some say
    that Xvid is slightly better quality. Taking an mpeg2 (DVD) and
    converting to Divx, Xvid, etc... means LOSS.

    Ogg/Theora is a free (for now) video format. Popular because
    of its apparent "freeness". It's NOT well understood by most
    commercial media players (sorry).

    > The latter is open source, I know. Are there thechnical differences as
    > well?

    Yes... video codecs are HARD to do. Similar to how a new encryption
    algorithm is hard to do... and patents abound. So it's VERY difficult
    to develop a high quality video format without stepping into a
    patent mess.

    In short... Ogg/Theora isn't going to win a quality award. But it
    is free (or at least we believe it is free... as always there
    is a chance that people will pick it apart... you can read
    Wikipedia or whatever and see the roots of the format). Ogg/Vorbis is
    usually the audio stream... which IS pretty good when compared
    to mp3, etc.

    > I am thinking of putting all my movies on HD.

    It's a good idea. I have most of mine ripped to a large storage
    unit and then I encode them into Divx avi's for my PMP (at a lower
    resolution as well). Ditto for music. You can use FLAC for a
    lossless compression and encode to mp3, ogg or whatever.

    But the main thing to keep (if storage is a premium) would
    be the lossless formats, mpeg2 for DVD rips and FLAC for
    audio rips.

    Another format you might consider is x264. That's an
    mpeg-4 variant for H.264/MPEG-4 AVC things available to Linux.
    Blu ray and other very HD media can use that format.
    Blu ray can actually use one (or more) codec types on
    the same media... all players MUST include a Java
    Virtual Machine... basically it's a HUGE mess and
    needs to die a miserable death. It's no wonder the
    players cost SO much.

  14. Re: DVD ripping software

    houghi wrote:

    > Size. 700MB instead of 4.2GB

    then is Quality = 0,0 IMO.............
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.10 / openSUSE 11.0

  15. Re: DVD ripping software

    EOS wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Size. 700MB instead of 4.2GB

    > then is Quality = 0,0 IMO.............

    To me it is good enough.

    houghi
    | Artist : Die Toten Hosen
    | Song : Liebesspieler
    | Album : Bis zum bitteren Ende

  16. Re: DVD ripping software

    On 2008-11-09, EOS wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Size. 700MB instead of 4.2GB

    > then is Quality = 0,0 IMO.............

    Your quote is less than perfect, BTW.
    I was watching this thread so I know what is going on, but you should
    quote better.

    I don't quite agree with that of AVI quality compared to DVD.
    Not that bad quality.

    If a good transcoding is done from the main movie only, 1.5 to 2 hours,
    it's quite watchable.

    If you watch a DVD on a conventional TV set it's not perfect either:

    NTSC (resolution 648 x 486)
    D-1 NTSC (resolution 720 x 486)
    D-1 NTSC Square Pix (resolution 720 x 540)

    PAL (resolution 720 x 486)
    D-1 PAL (resolution 720 x 576)
    D-1 PAL Square Pix (resolution 768 x 576)

    These are getting better of course along with HDTV.

    These are also matters of taste, and, of course, everything also depends
    on the movie itself.

    For example you can never have too much quality in the picture
    if you're looking at like great boobs bouncing cheerfully

    Vahis
    --
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "There will come a time when every evil
    That we know will be an evil...
    That we can rise above" - Frank Zappa

  17. Re: DVD ripping software

    Vahis wrote:

    > On 2008-11-09, EOS wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:
    >>
    >>> Size. 700MB instead of 4.2GB

    >> then is Quality = 0,0 IMO.............

    > Your quote is less than perfect, BTW.
    > I was watching this thread so I know what is going on, but you should
    > quote better.
    >
    > I don't quite agree with that of AVI quality compared to DVD.
    > Not that bad quality.
    >
    > If a good transcoding is done from the main movie only, 1.5 to 2 hours,
    > it's quite watchable.
    >
    > If you watch a DVD on a conventional TV set it's not perfect either:
    >

    > NTSC (resolution 648 x 486)
    > D-1 NTSC (resolution 720 x 486)
    > D-1 NTSC Square Pix (resolution 720 x 540)
    >

    > PAL (resolution 720 x 486)
    > D-1 PAL (resolution 720 x 576)
    > D-1 PAL Square Pix (resolution 768 x 576)
    >
    > These are getting better of course along with HDTV.
    >
    > These are also matters of taste, and, of course, everything also depends
    > on the movie itself.
    >
    > For example you can never have too much quality in the picture
    > if you're looking at like great boobs bouncing cheerfully
    >
    > Vahis

    I understand, its like the OP want
    But DTS sound is most of the times above 700MB,
    where is then the quality of sound if you go to AC3 sound with that?

    Let's say been there done that ;-)
    I copy my DVD in 1/1 copy for quality reasons now,
    I have HD Full TV and i see the diffrents.
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.10 / openSUSE 11.0

  18. Re: DVD ripping software

    houghi wrote:

    > To me it is good enough.

    even if 1920x1080i is the standard TV resolutions in two years from here?
    It's you're choose ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.10 / openSUSE 11.0

  19. Re: DVD ripping software

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > It is difficult to type:
    >
    > mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile mymovie.vob

    Now we are getting somewhere. :-D

    > mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 2-2 -dumpstream dumpfile mymovie-ch2.vob

    OK. So this is the easy part.

    If I would be using mplayer, I better pipe it through mencoder to
    convert it directly. And then we get into a world of pain again. Also it
    is much easier to copy the vob files directly.
    1) Mount the drive
    2) Copy the vob files

    > I don't have a recipe for this... I figure you probably do not
    > have a stackable DVD loader... so hitting up arrow and return
    > after inserting a DVD is probably not asking a lot (right?).

    MMM. Stackable DVD player.

    > Ogg/Theora is a free (for now) video format. Popular because
    > of its apparent "freeness". It's NOT well understood by most
    > commercial media players (sorry).

    As I do not care about others, that is what I will be using. I looked
    and the quality was good enough for me. So the hard part is to move all
    vob files to avi in a script.

    I have looked at mencoder again and I can not get something decent from
    it. Way too much options.

    >> I am thinking of putting all my movies on HD.

    > It's a good idea. I have most of mine ripped to a large storage
    > unit and then I encode them into Divx avi's for my PMP (at a lower
    > resolution as well). Ditto for music. You can use FLAC for a
    > lossless compression and encode to mp3, ogg or whatever.

    Music is already moved to mp3, as I use that also on my phone and in my
    car.

    > But the main thing to keep (if storage is a premium) would
    > be the lossless formats, mpeg2 for DVD rips and FLAC for
    > audio rips.

    Well, it is two-fold. I want to hide my collection from sight, as they
    take up place that I rather use for something else. I do not use them
    enough to have them in such a prominent place.
    I also want to have it on my PC as that is where I watch it most.

    houghi
    | Artist : De Dijk
    | Song : De wind draait
    | Album : Later is nu

  20. Re: DVD ripping software

    EOS wrote:
    > I understand, its like the OP want
    > But DTS sound is most of the times above 700MB,
    > where is then the quality of sound if you go to AC3 sound with that?

    My music boxes costed me 8EUR and have been bought at the GB (Carrefour
    now) so where do you think my quality of sound went? ;-)

    > Let's say been there done that ;-)
    > I copy my DVD in 1/1 copy for quality reasons now,
    > I have HD Full TV and i see the diffrents.

    I have a TV as well and that is turned off when I watch movies most of
    the time. No HD. Not even flatscreen.

    houghi
    | Artist : Blof
    | Song : Aanzoek Zonder Ringen