Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: DVD ripping software

    On 2008-11-09, houghi wrote:
    > EOS wrote:
    >> I understand, its like the OP want
    >> But DTS sound is most of the times above 700MB,
    >> where is then the quality of sound if you go to AC3 sound with that?

    > My music boxes costed me 8EUR and have been bought at the GB (Carrefour
    > now) so where do you think my quality of sound went? ;-)

    Mine is mp3, too.

    No recorded sound listened at home equals to a concert anyway.

    Not at least F.Z's concerts

    >> Let's say been there done that ;-)
    >> I copy my DVD in 1/1 copy for quality reasons now,
    >> I have HD Full TV and i see the diffrents.

    > I have a TV as well and that is turned off when I watch movies most of
    > the time. No HD. Not even flatscreen.
    >
    > houghi

    Your TV sounds like mine
    15 years old 24 inch.

    I'm watching movies in Eee PC nowadays while waiting for customers

    And again, no video files watched at home equal to a movie thater
    anyway. No matter how your equipment is.

    And before anybody lists his/her home theater I'll give a link to a
    quality one:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Hi-Vision

    Already demoed in Japan.

    Vahis
    --
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    "There will come a time when every evil

  2. Re: DVD ripping software

    EOS wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> To me it is good enough.

    > even if 1920x1080i is the standard TV resolutions in two years from here?
    > It's you're choose ;-)

    I have 1920x1200 right now. I am watching ogg right now full screen from
    one arm length away and it is good enough. If I would watch it on a TV,
    it would be too high a quality and I could go lower.
    624x272 24bpp 25.000 fps and that looks great on 1920x1200

    DVD rips via torrent at 700MB are fine, unless they are cam. Then they
    are lousy. So that means that unless it is a very long movie, I should
    be able to use the same.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  3. Re: DVD ripping software

    Vahis wrote:

    > And again, no video files watched at home equal to a movie thater
    > anyway. No matter how your equipment is.
    >
    > And before anybody lists his/her home theater I'll give a link to a
    > quality one:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Hi-Vision

    Yes it's true but you have to see it like it is.....
    a home TV is for watching at a distance of 3-4 meter
    At movie theather?

    The same for audio for movies, the most home cinema systems
    are not correct tuned. most of the people don't even know how to set the
    center speaker correct...................
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  4. Re: DVD ripping software

    houghi wrote:

    > I have 1920x1200 right now. I am watching ogg right now full screen from
    > one arm length away and it is good enough.

    not correct, this 1920x1200 is over 24inch screen
    most of the TV's with 1920 starts from 37 inch
    so you have to count that this quality have blow up even farther
    away than one meter.
    (not only more resolution but more detail in this resolution = bigger)

    > If I would watch it on a TV,
    > it would be too high a quality and I could go lower.
    > 624x272 *24bpp *25.000 fps and that looks great on 1920x1200

    You're TV is now 720, so this movie @ 624x272 have to be zoomed
    in...........
    If you could do the test you will see bloks of the pixels on a TV.
    and even if you buy later a new TV it schould be at least 1366
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.10 / openSUSE 11.0

  5. Re: DVD ripping software

    Vahis wrote:
    > Your TV sounds like mine
    > 15 years old 24 inch.

    Indeed. But with me it is the tv screen that is 24 inch, not the TV as a
    whole. Also it is 8 years old or so, Flatscreens where way to expensive
    but they were already pushing them, so it vas very cheap.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  6. Re: DVD ripping software

    On 2008-11-09, EOS wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >
    >> And again, no video files watched at home equal to a movie thater
    >> anyway. No matter how your equipment is.
    >>
    >> And before anybody lists his/her home theater I'll give a link to a
    >> quality one:
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Hi-Vision

    > Yes it's true but you have to see it like it is.....
    > a home TV is for watching at a distance of 3-4 meter
    > At movie theather?

    Like you said before, how do we know what's there in a few years?
    Now as for UHDTV it would mean that I can't store any video on my
    computer today because it's going to be useless soon anyway.

    > The same for audio for movies, the most home cinema systems
    > are not correct tuned. most of the people don't even know how to set the
    > center speaker correct...................

    Some people even think that a good movie has to have a good story.
    Others think it's the shooting and chasing cars that make a movie.

    In addition I think ****ing can't be any worse than killing people or
    breaking malls into pieces in a movie.

    I the latter genres the story is not so important...

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com

  7. Re: DVD ripping software

    On 2008-11-09, houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> Your TV sounds like mine
    >> 15 years old 24 inch.

    > Indeed. But with me it is the tv screen that is 24 inch, not the TV as a
    > whole. Also it is 8 years old or so, Flatscreens where way to expensive
    > but they were already pushing them, so it vas very cheap.

    A movie, the image area that is, is bigger in my 22 inch 1920x1200 screen
    than it is on my 24 inch TV.

    I'm planning to buy a similar screen to replace the TV.
    The tuner box is separate anyway, with HDMI out and USB for recording.
    Today it's connected to the TV set via SCART.

    So far I've avoided investing in a new TV, it's just the wife who
    watches it

    --
    Vahis
    http://waxborg.servepics.com
    Linux is like a wigwam: No Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.

  8. Re: DVD ripping software

    EOS wrote:
    >> I have 1920x1200 right now. I am watching ogg right now full screen from
    >> one arm length away and it is good enough.

    > not correct, this 1920x1200 is over 24inch screen
    > most of the TV's with 1920 starts from 37 inch

    Still correct. It is still 1920x1200 and I am sitting MUCH closer to it.
    Also I do not HAVE a 37 inch tv. This whole process of putting things on
    my HD is because I hardly ever watch a movie a second time on TV.
    The first time I watch it from the DVD. After that I watch it from my PC
    while sitting at my desk.

    > so you have to count that this quality have blow up even farther
    > away than one meter.
    > (not only more resolution but more detail in this resolution = bigger)

    So what I see is much more detail. Meaning if it is good enough for
    1920x1200 at one meter, it will be enough for 1920x1020 at a higher
    distance even with a larger screen.

    >> If I would watch it on a TV,
    >> it would be too high a quality and I could go lower.
    >> 624x272 *24bpp *25.000 fps and that looks great on 1920x1200

    > You're TV is now 720, so this movie @ 624x272 have to be zoomed
    > in...........

    I am not watching it on my tv. I am wathciong it on my 1920x1200
    monitor. So it is exploded in size by a factor 12 (roughly. 600x3=1800,
    300x4=1200 3x4=12)

    > If you could do the test you will see bloks of the pixels on a TV.
    > and even if you buy later a new TV it schould be at least 1366

    I am fully aware of this. I am also aware of distance vs resolution vs
    screensize.
    http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/
    http://hd1080i.blogspot.com/2007/01/...0-to-eyes.html

    Now these talk mainly about TVs. I am sitting at a desk at a PC and I
    say it is good enough for me to enlarge a pretty small video to full
    screen. I know it is not perfect. It is good enough for me.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  9. Re: DVD ripping software

    houghi wrote:

    > I know it is not perfect. It is good enough for me.

    We will see in the futher.
    good dvd ripping time ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.10 / openSUSE 11.0

  10. Re: DVD ripping software

    EOS wrote:

    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> I know it is not perfect. It is good enough for me.

    > We will see in the futher.

    No need for that. I already know that it won't be good enough then. That
    said, it is good enough for me and will be for at least some 10 years to
    come.

    > good dvd ripping time ;-)

    The time it takes might stop me. I will be looking at some things today,
    but it might not be worth the time and effort.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  11. Re: DVD ripping software

    Vahis wrote:
    > For example you can never have too much quality in the picture
    > if you're looking at like great boobs bouncing cheerfully

    Just ask Stefan Johansson, state secretary to Finland's equality
    ministrer, if you do not believe it. Stupid Swedes in Finnland. Can't
    even behave themselves. Nothing good can come from those people.
    NOTHING!

    (Anybody a videolink?)

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  12. Re: DVD ripping software

    houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> For example you can never have too much quality in the picture
    >> if you're looking at like great boobs bouncing cheerfully

    > Just ask Stefan Johansson, state secretary to Finland's equality
    > ministrer, if you do not believe it. Stupid Swedes in Finnland. Can't
    > even behave themselves. Nothing good can come from those people.
    > NOTHING!
    >
    > (Anybody a videolink?)
    >
    > houghi

    You are well informed
    Is this boobstravaganza big news there? Great

    He's just fond of boobs. And boose.
    A lot of Finns are

    --
    Vahis

  13. Re: DVD ripping software

    houghi wrote:
    > Chris Cox wrote:
    >> It is difficult to type:
    >>
    >> mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile mymovie.vob

    > Now we are getting somewhere. :-D
    >
    >> mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 2-2 -dumpstream dumpfile mymovie-ch2.vob

    > OK. So this is the easy part.
    >
    > If I would be using mplayer, I better pipe it through mencoder to
    > convert it directly. And then we get into a world of pain again. Also it
    > is much easier to copy the vob files directly.
    > 1) Mount the drive
    > 2) Copy the vob files

    ???

    Why are you using mencoder? Are you wanting to encode it
    into a different format? I mean, you CAN do this, at some loss.
    As you mentioned, there are a LOT of options to mencoder.
    Why? Well, DVDs come in a lot of formats and aspect ratios.
    Getting the "ideal" fit means solving many potential problems.

    For example... let's say you want the end result in
    an divx avi format (I use this example because it it a format
    that my PMP understands).

    My player has a resolution of 480x272 (16:9), DVD mpeg2 vob is 720x???.
    This format is usually letter boxed in that you usually have
    black bars at the top and bottom (movies are not 16:9 aspect...
    usually have a more elongated aspect ratio). So if I have my
    original rip from the DVD (like above) called mymovie.mpg:

    $ mencoder mymovie.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 \
    -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 \
    -vf-add dsize=720:-2,scale=480:272,crop=480:272 -delay .02 \
    -ffourcc DIVX -o mymovie.avi

    The ovc option is for the Output Video Codec. The lavc
    codec means encode using one of the codecs known to the lavc
    library.. in this case vcodec=mpeg4 (actually MPEG-4 type
    for either Xvid or DIVX). The oac option is for the Output
    Audio Codec in this case mp3lame (mp3 audio). I selected
    cbr (Constant Bit Rate) of 128k (my player cannot handle
    vbr). The vf-add is interesting... I use this command as
    a template, so it may be over generic (tunable). I declare
    the size of the video to be 720 by whatever is appropriate
    for the aspect ratio... then I specify that I want the video
    scaled to 480x272 and crop it to that size (I can't remember
    if the crop is necessary... my guess is that depending on
    the aspect ratio of the source the scale might not do something
    in the Y direction???). The -delay option I added because
    encoding in a SINGLE pass will likely create an audio out
    of sync with video... you can adjust delay to fit your needs.
    Finally, -ffourcc DIVX makes sure the resulting avi type
    will identify the output as DIVX and finally the output
    file.

    Yes... difficult.

    I mention that crop above... let's say your DVD source
    is 4:3 aspect ratio with letter boxing. This was popular
    on some older DVDs. So you actually have something that
    might be wide screen formatted.... and that's what you want...

    Same as above with a minor twist on the scale...

    $ mencoder mymovie.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 \
    -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 \
    -vf-add dsize=720:-2,scale=480:360,crop=480:272 \
    -ffourcc DIVX -o mymovie.avi

    I may not be doing this correctly, but it works. I basically
    scale the DVD to the right resolution in a 4:3 aspect ratio
    and then do the crop which yanks the wide screen vid out of
    the middle of the 4:3 scaled output... so it will likely
    have smaller black bars at the top and bottom.

    So... what if the original source is (gulp) a fullscreen 4:3
    aspect ratio source (I hate that format... but typical of
    old fashioned TV right?).

    $ mencoder mymovie.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 \
    -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 \
    -vf-add dsize=720:-2,scale=320:240,crop=320:240 \
    -ffourcc DIVX -o mymovie.avi

    Why 320x240 on my 480x272 capable player? I don't know why
    I did that... I guess because it's a more common format
    size. Obviously I could have created a 4:3 scale to
    maximize the resolution for my player.

    Anyway, there's bound to be LOTS of different option
    if using mencoder... and there are OTHER programs out
    there like ffmpeg2avi (for example) that might do a
    better job and might be easier and even faster to use.

    > I have looked at mencoder again and I can not get something decent from
    > it. Way too much options.

    Hope my sample above help. Let me know. I'm curious.

    >>> I am thinking of putting all my movies on HD.

    >> It's a good idea. I have most of mine ripped to a large storage
    >> unit and then I encode them into Divx avi's for my PMP (at a lower
    >> resolution as well). Ditto for music. You can use FLAC for a
    >> lossless compression and encode to mp3, ogg or whatever.

    > Music is already moved to mp3, as I use that also on my phone and in my
    > car.

    mp3 is a most common format... it's not horrible. But it's
    not "free" (well... maybe it is now).

    >> But the main thing to keep (if storage is a premium) would
    >> be the lossless formats, mpeg2 for DVD rips and FLAC for
    >> audio rips.

    > Well, it is two-fold. I want to hide my collection from sight, as they
    > take up place that I rather use for something else. I do not use them
    > enough to have them in such a prominent place.
    > I also want to have it on my PC as that is where I watch it most.

    One day I plan to integrate my setup with my primary 46" flat
    screen. I'm already developing a PVR (DVR) that works well.
    (instead of using MythTV, etc)

  14. Re: DVD ripping software

    Chris Cox wrote:
    > Why are you using mencoder? Are you wanting to encode it
    > into a different format? I mean, you CAN do this, at some loss.

    I want to have it not in 4.2GB size but in 700MB size. I understand the
    loss. I know how it will look and I am happy with that loss.

    > Anyway, there's bound to be LOTS of different option
    > if using mencoder... and there are OTHER programs out
    > there like ffmpeg2avi (for example) that might do a
    > better job and might be easier and even faster to use.

    I also understand why. I will look into ffmpeg2avi although zypper did
    not find it. :-(

    > mp3 is a most common format... it's not horrible. But it's
    > not "free" (well... maybe it is now).

    Yet it is the only option for me if I want to use it in different
    places.

    > One day I plan to integrate my setup with my primary 46" flat
    > screen. I'm already developing a PVR (DVR) that works well.
    > (instead of using MythTV, etc)

    I tried MythTV. Perhaps it is great if you get it pre-installed, but to
    configure it is hell.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2