I'm trying to get qjackctl to run as a non root user in either openSUSE-10.3
or openSUSE-11.0. I've added myself to the 'audio' group. I even tried to
do as I read at the JAD website and edited my /etc/security/limits.conf
file with the following lines added:

@audio - rtprio 90
@audio - nice -10
@audio - memlock 4000000

Still, jackd will only run with realtime priority when started as root !

I'm running the realtime kernel 2.6.22.18-79-rt on this system (10.3). I
suspect the above modification only works for the JAD distribution and not
on a standard openSUSE-10.3 or 11.0 release.

Anyone have any idea how to set permissions for this to work ? If it were
just jackd that needed to run this wouldn't be too bad a limitation but
when opening multiple sound applications that connect to jackd this is
really too much (i.e. having to launch multiple apps as root in
sequence...)

Thanks to anyone who has this working and lets me know how.

P.S. This isn't for me so much as my musician friend for whom I just
installed 10.3 & 11.0 on two (about to be tossed) old laptops... Though I
too will use this in the near future.

Thanks again.

P.S. #2 I have now fully converted my friend to Linux and after a couple
of weeks he now swears by it and says he'll NEVER go back to Windows.. He
states that when he boots into Linux "It just feels better".. No guilt, no
need to steal, no problem".... With all the apps I've installed for him he
says he thinks this is a $20,000.00 machine.. And I did it for free !!!