Blu-ray - Suse

This is a discussion on Blu-ray - Suse ; They say minimum cpu speen is 3.0 ghz for blu-ray (BD) playing and burning. Is that true for OpenSUSE too? Does K3B or Brasero burn BD? Do the normal players like Mplayer, Totem , Kaffiene or XFmedia play BD's? -- ...

  1. Blu-ray

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ? ? „

  2. Re: Blu-ray

    Claude Hopper wrote:
    > They say minimum cpu speed is 3.0 ghz for blu-ray (BD) playing and
    > burning. Is that true for OpenSUSE too? Does K3B or Brasero burn BD? Do
    > the normal players like Mplayer, Totem , Kaffiene or XFmedia play BD's?

    They say minimum cpu speed is 3.0 ghz for blu-ray (BD) playing and
    burning. Is that true for OpenSUSE too? Does K3B or Brasero burn BD? Do
    the normal players like Mplayer, Totem , Kaffiene or XFmedia play BD's?

    --
    Claude Hopper

    ? ? „

  3. Re: Blu-ray

    Claude Hopper wrote:

    > They say minimum cpu speen is 3.0 ghz for blu-ray (BD) playing and
    > burning. Is that true for OpenSUSE too? Does K3B or Brasero burn BD? Do
    > the normal players like Mplayer, Totem , Kaffiene or XFmedia play BD's?

    As far I know is K3b not capble to burn blu-ray yet.
    dvd+rw-tools can do it
    http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

    if i look at nerolinux3:
    800 MHz IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® III processor, AMD Sempronā„¢ 2200+ processors or
    equivalent, 128 MB RAM
    http://www.nero.com/enu/linux3-system-requirements.html
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  4. Re: Blu-ray

    EOS wrote:
    > Claude Hopper wrote:
    >
    >> They say minimum cpu speen is 3.0 ghz for blu-ray (BD) playing and
    >> burning. Is that true for OpenSUSE too? Does K3B or Brasero burn BD? Do
    >> the normal players like Mplayer, Totem , Kaffiene or XFmedia play BD's?
    >>

    > As far I know is K3b not capble to burn blu-ray yet.
    > dvd+rw-tools can do it
    > http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
    >
    > if i look at nerolinux3:
    > 800 MHz IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® III processor, AMD Sempronā„¢ 2200+ processors or
    > equivalent, 128 MB RAM
    > http://www.nero.com/enu/linux3-system-requirements.html

    Nero is buggy... but it's the only graphical interface that
    deals with BD media. I haven't tried to play anything (HD movie).
    I have burnt data to some 25GB media.

  5. Re: Blu-ray

    Claude Hopper wrote:

    > They say minimum cpu speen is 3.0 ghz for blu-ray (BD) playing and
    > burning. Is that true for OpenSUSE too? Does K3B or Brasero burn BD? Do
    > the normal players like Mplayer, Totem , Kaffiene or XFmedia play BD's?

    From Sebastion Trug, the lead developer of K3B, in response to my query on
    your behalf as to the ability of K3B to handle Blu-Ray disks:

    "the next version for kde4 will. If it ever gets released... "

    So, assuming it does, that's when you'll be able to use K3B with your new
    Blu-Ray unit...

    HTH :-)

  6. Re: Blu-ray

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:27:54 -0500, Claude Hopper
    wrote:

    >They say minimum cpu speen is 3.0 ghz for blu-ray (BD) playing and
    >burning. Is that true for OpenSUSE too? Does K3B or Brasero burn BD? Do
    >the normal players like Mplayer, Totem , Kaffiene or XFmedia play BD's?

    Mplayer. You need a BD drive. LG sells a BD-R/HD DVD/DVD/CD drive
    pretty cheap. Burning it likely takes place slower than reading it does
    these days.

    Then, you also need the kernel module for the file system type.

    There is an Mplayer how-to on the PSUbuntu forums (search), but it is
    for a PS3 Blue Ray player/computer. You also have to collect decryption
    keys for each movie as folks posts them. This file is referenced by one
    of the applets that run the codec which Mplayer uses.

  7. Re: Blu-ray

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:28:40 -0500, Claude Hopper
    wrote:

    >Claude Hopper wrote:
    >> They say minimum cpu speed is 3.0 ghz for blu-ray (BD) playing and
    >> burning. Is that true for OpenSUSE too? Does K3B or Brasero burn BD? Do
    >> the normal players like Mplayer, Totem , Kaffiene or XFmedia play BD's?
    >>

    >They say minimum cpu speed is 3.0 ghz for blu-ray (BD) playing and
    >burning. Is that true for OpenSUSE too? Does K3B or Brasero burn BD? Do
    >the normal players like Mplayer, Totem , Kaffiene or XFmedia play BD's?

    The PS3 will play a movie under Ubuntu, but barely. This is due to it
    being the equivalent to an old PPC series 3 or such, as well as Sony
    handcuffing the video utilization while in Linux on the PS3, which
    handcuffs the whole system, since there is only 256MB RAM,
    non-changeable.

    So if it plays on that, one would think it could play on a bare bones,
    minimum 2GB RAM, 3 year old AMD or Intel platform. Mine is that old, and
    it plays back both HD formats just fine. I have no burn capacity.

+ Reply to Thread