Mount /dev/cdrom to file - Suse

This is a discussion on Mount /dev/cdrom to file - Suse ; > ??? Windows has no /dev/cdrom. > > And why are you asking in alt.os.linux.suse about a Windows machine? I think i described my problem already. I'm asking in .suse because /dev/cdrom is on a suse-machine. S.H....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    > ??? Windows has no /dev/cdrom.
    >
    > And why are you asking in alt.os.linux.suse about a Windows machine?

    I think i described my problem already. I'm asking in .suse because
    /dev/cdrom is on a suse-machine.

    S.H.

  2. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    "SH" writes:

    >> ??? Windows has no /dev/cdrom.
    >>
    >> And why are you asking in alt.os.linux.suse about a Windows machine?

    >I think i described my problem already. I'm asking in .suse because
    >/dev/cdrom is on a suse-machine.

    You know it would help if you actually told us what you were trying to do
    first, not ask whether a solution to an unkown problem would work.

    You have a dvd reader on a Linux machine. You want to access it from a
    Windows machine. YOu think that if you have a samba mount of a linux
    subdirectory on the windows machine and you mount /dev/cdrom on a file on
    that samba mount, you will be able to access it from the windows machine.
    I doubt it very much, but is that a summary of your problem?

    >S.H.

  3. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    >> I doubt it very much, but is that a summary of your problem?

    >Scenario:
    >
    >- Video-DVD in /dev/cdrom
    >- Samba-Share on Mountpoint for Windows-HTPC does not work because of CSS
    >protection
    >- dvdreadfs with fuse to Samba-Share works, but is too slow and sometimes
    >stops while playing the movie on tv
    >- Samba-Share of the iso-File of the DVD and mount it for example with
    >"Alcohol 120%" on the Windows-machine _could_ work
    >- for that, i need the iso/image to be read "on the fly"
    >- LAN is 100mbit, so should be fast enough

    If I could mount an image-like file with "Alcohol 120%" for example, the
    problem should be solved. :-|

    S.H.

  4. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    SH wrote:
    >>> I doubt it very much, but is that a summary of your problem?

    >> Scenario:
    >>
    >> - Video-DVD in /dev/cdrom
    >> - Samba-Share on Mountpoint for Windows-HTPC does not work because of CSS
    >> protection
    >> - dvdreadfs with fuse to Samba-Share works, but is too slow and sometimes
    >> stops while playing the movie on tv
    >> - Samba-Share of the iso-File of the DVD and mount it for example with
    >> "Alcohol 120%" on the Windows-machine _could_ work
    >> - for that, i need the iso/image to be read "on the fly"
    >> - LAN is 100mbit, so should be fast enough

    > If I could mount an image-like file with "Alcohol 120%" for example, the
    > problem should be solved. :-|

    It wouldn't because the DVD is copy protected. Daemon Tools (Alcohol
    uses it) would mount garbled data. Since you don't want to stream the
    video, your only option is getting a DVD drive for the Windows box.

  5. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 21:53:30 +0100, SH typed this message:

    > Thank you for your help, but it's a Windows machine. Seems, as if
    > there's no real solution für my problem.
    >
    > S.H.

    Actually mounting the device as a Samba Share solves your access
    problem. The CSS issues which is most likely copyright is a Windows
    software issue.

    After you mounted the /dev/cdrom as a Samba share you could copy the .VOB
    and .IFO files to the windows PC or simply play the .VOB files to
    circumvent the CSS screens.

    Most of us use mplayer, VLC, Kaffiene, etc. on the Linux machine to watch
    DVDs. Some of us use mplayer's mencoder to copy DVDs to mpgs for later
    playback. The slower the cpu the longer the encoding.

    $ mencoder /dev/cdrom/bbrental.dvd -ovc copy -oac copy -o /tmp/
    veryverylarge.avi -forceidx

  6. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    > Actually mounting the device as a Samba Share solves your access
    > problem. The CSS issues which is most likely copyright is a Windows
    > software issue.

    AFAIK not. I tried a selfmade DVD. I can watch it and copy the VOBs.
    With an original DVD, I even can _not_ copy the VOBs.

    S.H.

  7. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    > It wouldn't because the DVD is copy protected. Daemon Tools (Alcohol
    > uses it) would mount garbled data. Since you don't want to stream the
    > video, your only option is getting a DVD drive for the Windows box.

    Sure? I thought that would be a "raw" copy of the disk then?!

    S.H.

  8. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    noi ance wrote:
    > Most of us use mplayer, VLC, Kaffiene, etc. on the Linux machine to watch
    > DVDs.

    mplayer -vo caca matrix.mpg

    The only way to see the matrix as it should be seen. :-)

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  9. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    > mplayer -vo caca matrix.mpg
    >
    > The only way to see the matrix as it should be seen. :-)

    F***in' crazy. :-D
    Never seen that before. Thank you. Although, that's not, what I looked for,
    nice to know. Haha.

    S.H.

  10. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    SH wrote:
    >> mplayer -vo caca matrix.mpg
    >>
    >> The only way to see the matrix as it should be seen. :-)

    > F***in' crazy. :-D
    > Never seen that before. Thank you. Although, that's not, what I looked for,
    > nice to know. Haha.

    If you do not have a color screen, you can do aa instead of caca. If you
    have a fast network connection, you can even watch movies over ssh. :-D

    If you like that, also install "bb" and run that. I use that for people
    who say that windows is much better, because Linux is only GUI. Others
    will show all the nice turning desktops, I show them they are right. :-D

    bb is really cool. Change the size of the window it runs in.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.
    Incarnation of Satan's creation of all that we dread.
    When the demons arrive those alive would be better off dead!

  11. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    In , on 11/04/2008
    at 10:20 PM, "SH" said:

    >Is it possible to mount a disk-device (/dev/cdrom) to a file instead of a
    >path?

    As long as the file is a directory.

    >i want: "/dev/cdrom" -> "/media/cdrom.iso" or similar

    Then create a sub-directory called cdrom.iso and mount to that.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  12. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    > Then create a sub-directory called cdrom.iso and mount to that.

    Does not work. It's treated like a directory and i have to specify a
    filesystem. I'd like to share it in sth. like a "raw-mode". Like an
    iso-file.

    S.H.

  13. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    In , on 11/09/2008
    at 01:59 PM, "SH" said:

    >Does not work. It's treated like a directory and i have to specify a
    >filesystem. I'd like to share it in sth. like a "raw-mode". Like an
    >iso-file.

    It's not an ISO file, it's a CD player. If you want raw access to, e.g.
    get around decesspool, then mount is not what you need. If you want to
    read files on it, then raw is not what you need.

    You could always create a link called cdrom.iso, but the Devil is in the
    details and you gave none.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  14. Re: Mount /dev/cdrom to file

    > You could always create a link called cdrom.iso, but the Devil is in the
    > details and you gave none.

    Don't wanna be impolite, but 3rd time now: