OpenSUSE 11.0 and AGP video card drivers? - Suse

This is a discussion on OpenSUSE 11.0 and AGP video card drivers? - Suse ; Greetings, I've been happily using OpenSUSE 10.3 on my two main computers but been itching to upgrade. Rather than risk them I'm throwing some old parts together. I have an AMD 2800+ Athlon processor, 1 Gb of RAM, a Nvidia ...

  1. OpenSUSE 11.0 and AGP video card drivers?

    Greetings,
    I've been happily using OpenSUSE 10.3 on my two main computers but been
    itching to upgrade. Rather than risk them I'm throwing some old parts
    together. I have an AMD 2800+ Athlon processor, 1 Gb of RAM, a Nvidia
    Nforce2 motherboard with only AGP for video and 2 * 80 Gb hard drives.
    I loaded Vista on one as I'm having to support it and need at least to
    be able to look at it. No issues.
    With OpenSUSE 11.0 I first had an ATI 9700 pro hooked up to my Acer
    AL2216W monitor which has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050. OpenSUSE
    loaded with no problems, I added the repository for ATI and using Yast
    tried to add ATI drivers. Then I went into Yast-->hardware-->graphics
    card and monitors and set the Hsync, Vsync and measurements. Of course,
    Yast asked me to test. The settings looked okay. When the xserver was
    rebooted I had pinkish cast to screen. I tried many things (I've hand
    edited xorg.conf files many times to get dual monitors working). Nada. I
    tried reinstalling. After setting for the proper frequencies or proper
    monitor I get the same ugly graphics. Hmmm.

    So I started over with a Nvidia 7800 GS. Fresh install. Tried using yast
    again to install the nvidia drivers. Won't let me as I get an error
    message telling me not to install as there isn't (some long number)
    available for my kernel version. (uname - r gave me 26.25.5.1-pae).

    My display looks terrible and extends too far so I can't get to the
    Klicker button. I have to right click on the desktop to get the run
    command and start apps from there.

    My googling has turned up many suggestions but when I try them, nothing
    good happens. I don't seem to be able to get it to work with proper
    resolution, display settingsn etc.

    This is probably user error ( I hate that!) but any suggestions are
    welcome while I continue to try different google ideas.

    Thanks,
    Tom

  2. Re: OpenSUSE 11.0 and AGP video card drivers?

    Hi there,

    Thomas Tootle wrote:
    > Greetings,
    > I've been happily using OpenSUSE 10.3 on my two main computers but been
    > itching to upgrade. Rather than risk them I'm throwing some old parts
    > together. I have an AMD 2800+ Athlon processor, 1 Gb of RAM, a Nvidia
    > Nforce2 motherboard with only AGP for video and 2 * 80 Gb hard drives.
    > I loaded Vista on one as I'm having to support it and need at least to
    > be able to look at it. No issues.
    > With OpenSUSE 11.0 I first had an ATI 9700 pro hooked up to my Acer
    > AL2216W monitor which has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050. OpenSUSE
    > loaded with no problems, I added the repository for ATI and using Yast
    > tried to add ATI drivers. Then I went into Yast-->hardware-->graphics
    > card and monitors and set the Hsync, Vsync and measurements. Of course,
    > Yast asked me to test. The settings looked okay. When the xserver was
    > rebooted I had pinkish cast to screen. I tried many things (I've hand
    > edited xorg.conf files many times to get dual monitors working). Nada. I
    > tried reinstalling. After setting for the proper frequencies or proper
    > monitor I get the same ugly graphics. Hmmm.

    I cant help with ATI graphics on Linux, as I've always run NVidia
    cards. Sorry.

    > So I started over with a Nvidia 7800 GS. Fresh install. Tried using yast
    > again to install the nvidia drivers. Won't let me as I get an error
    > message telling me not to install as there isn't (some long number)
    > available for my kernel version. (uname - r gave me 26.25.5.1-pae).

    I saw that same issue solved not long ago. The solution was to swap
    to the default kernel supplied with openSUSE 11, as the pae kernel
    and kernel source seem to mismatch in some way. Then install the
    Nvidia drivers - they should install fine. NVidias 'nvidia' driver
    in Xorg does a far superior job of setting video modes than the Xorg
    'nv' driver - that driver is slow, obviously outdated, and does not
    do 3D acceleration (or 2D for that matter, it seems so slow).

    > My display looks terrible and extends too far so I can't get to the
    > Klicker button. I have to right click on the desktop to get the run
    > command and start apps from there.

    Let us know how you go with the above steps. If you have any issues
    post to here and I'll see what I can suggest to help.

    > My googling has turned up many suggestions but when I try them, nothing
    > good happens. I don't seem to be able to get it to work with proper
    > resolution, display settingsn etc.
    >
    > This is probably user error ( I hate that!) but any suggestions are
    > welcome while I continue to try different google ideas.

    Not user error at all. The included 'nv' Xorg driver is useless. The
    sooner you swap to default kernel, install NVidias driver, the sooner
    you'll see just how nice your 7800 GS can run, which should be very
    nice - I had a 7900GS on an older system sometime ago, ran brilliantly
    with the NVidia driver...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

  3. Re: OpenSUSE 11.0 and AGP video card drivers?

    Hi there,

    Thomas Tootle wrote:
> [...]

    >> Let us know how you go with the above steps. If you have any issues
    >> post to here and I'll see what I can suggest to help.
    >>
    >>> My googling has turned up many suggestions but when I try them, nothing
    >>> good happens. I don't seem to be able to get it to work with proper
    >>> resolution, display settingsn etc.
    >>>
    >>> This is probably user error ( I hate that!) but any suggestions are
    >>> welcome while I continue to try different google ideas.

    >> Not user error at all. The included 'nv' Xorg driver is useless. The
    >> sooner you swap to default kernel, install NVidias driver, the sooner
    >> you'll see just how nice your 7800 GS can run, which should be very
    >> nice - I had a 7900GS on an older system sometime ago, ran brilliantly
    >> with the NVidia driver...

    > Thanks Chris,
    > I don't know how I got the pae kernel, nor how to revert. I did load

    Somehow pae is installed by default for me too, on both openSUSE 11
    installs I've now done. Both PC's had only 2GB of RAM, so didn't
    need the pae kernel.

    Just run yast, goto software -> software management, once that
    has loaded search for "kernel-default" and select it, right click
    on it and choose "install", then click 'Accept' down the bottom
    right. Have a quick cuppa and you should see a message suggesting
    you restart openSUSE to activate the new kernel. Done.

    > Mint linux and after all the updates it worked great with the nvidia
    > drivers. I'm confident that openSUSE is not the problem but I am. On the

    I can assure you the problem is not of your doing. The mismatch
    between kernel source and pae kernel means nvidia drivers will
    not compile, and combined with Xorg's 'nv' driver not driving the
    1680x1050 LCD panel correctly means its a less than desired result
    after installing. If the default kernel was installed by default
    (why is it called default if not loaded by default!?!?!?!) you
    would not have had the issues installing NVidia driver. As I said
    none of it is your fault.

    > other hand, I've used SUSE since it was in versions 7 and while I had
    > some problems with dual monitors this was the first time I had trouble
    > with a single monitor. I'm loading openSUSE on another machine today
    > with a more modern video card.
    >
    > OpenSUSE is much easier to configure for Samba and NFS so I'll continue
    > to use it for my servers. I'm still on 10.3 with them and not really
    > feeling the need to upgrade as they work well. Just starting to get my
    > feet wet ahead of the next release.

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

  4. Re: OpenSUSE 11.0 and AGP video card drivers? - Finally CorrectlyInstalled

    Thanks, Chris,
    I finally had time last night to return to my problems with openSUSE
    11.0 and my xorg.conf problems. I reinstalled openSUSE 11.0 wiping Mint
    Linux (which worked great). uname -r revealed I had again loaded the pae
    kernel. I first updated lybb and a couple of other patches. Then I
    selected the default kernel in the package manager, downloaded it and
    rebooted. Then I downloaded all the update patches. After the patches
    were loaded I went back in and Firefox 3 was available to download. So I
    selected that. The software management program indicated that I needed
    to download the nvidia drivers for Firefox to work. I felt like I was
    finally getting somewhere. Downloaded and installed Firefox and the
    nvidia-gfx-kmp-default and x11-video-nvidiaGO1 packages (or something
    close to those). Logged out and in. Then went into Sax2 and set the
    parameters of my Ace AL2216W LCD monitor. Logged out and back in. Drat,
    pink tinge is back. Installed nano ( I learned pico a really long time
    ago and nano suits me for meddling with the xorg.conf file). Looked over
    the xorg.conf file. The parameters of the monitor were there as well as
    the call for the nvidia drivers and not nv. As su I cp
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old and then booted another
    machine machine with Mint linux attached via my Avocet KVM to the
    monitor. Copied that xorg.conf file to an USB drive, then copied it to
    the home file on my openSUSE box. Then I copied it as root to the
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Logged out. Drat xserver filed to start. Nanoed
    xorg.conf and noticed this file had a different PCIbus id so I changed
    it. Saved the file and rebooted. Finally the colors came up right! But
    the desktop hung over the edges of my monitor meaning to get to the
    klicker button I had to place my cursor in the lower left corner and
    wait for the desktop to move over so I could access it. What the heck?
    Back to konsole and nano. Seems I had a mode line of 1900 x 1600 and I
    wanted 1680 x 1050. Erased the bigger mode line and any mode line that
    didn't have 60 Mhz as the refresh rate as that was the spec called for.
    Saved the file, rebooted. Yeah, success! After about 3 hours I finally
    had a base installation with the proper video driver working with my LCD
    monitor. Now I spend another 3 hours tweaking the installation like
    enlarging the fonts so I can see them, changing the terminal profile so
    I can see it and changing the computer name, etc. Then I can start
    configuring Samba and NFS.

    I couldn't have done it without Chris's advice. Thanks again. And
    hopefully anyone passing this way again might learn from my travails.

  5. Re: OpenSUSE 11.0 and AGP video card drivers? - Finally CorrectlyInstalled

    Hi there,

    Thomas Tootle wrote:
    > Thanks, Chris,
    > I finally had time last night to return to my problems with openSUSE
    > 11.0 and my xorg.conf problems. I reinstalled openSUSE 11.0 wiping Mint
    > Linux (which worked great). uname -r revealed I had again loaded the pae
    > kernel. I first updated lybb and a couple of other patches. Then I
    > selected the default kernel in the package manager, downloaded it and
    > rebooted. Then I downloaded all the update patches. After the patches
    > were loaded I went back in and Firefox 3 was available to download. So I
    > selected that. The software management program indicated that I needed
    > to download the nvidia drivers for Firefox to work. I felt like I was
    > finally getting somewhere. Downloaded and installed Firefox and the
    > nvidia-gfx-kmp-default and x11-video-nvidiaGO1 packages (or something
    > close to those). Logged out and in. Then went into Sax2 and set the
    > parameters of my Ace AL2216W LCD monitor. Logged out and back in. Drat,
    > pink tinge is back. Installed nano ( I learned pico a really long time
    > ago and nano suits me for meddling with the xorg.conf file). Looked over
    > the xorg.conf file. The parameters of the monitor were there as well as
    > the call for the nvidia drivers and not nv. As su I cp
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old and then booted another
    > machine machine with Mint linux attached via my Avocet KVM to the
    > monitor. Copied that xorg.conf file to an USB drive, then copied it to
    > the home file on my openSUSE box. Then I copied it as root to the
    > /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Logged out. Drat xserver filed to start. Nanoed
    > xorg.conf and noticed this file had a different PCIbus id so I changed
    > it. Saved the file and rebooted. Finally the colors came up right! But
    > the desktop hung over the edges of my monitor meaning to get to the
    > klicker button I had to place my cursor in the lower left corner and
    > wait for the desktop to move over so I could access it. What the heck?
    > Back to konsole and nano. Seems I had a mode line of 1900 x 1600 and I
    > wanted 1680 x 1050. Erased the bigger mode line and any mode line that
    > didn't have 60 Mhz as the refresh rate as that was the spec called for.
    > Saved the file, rebooted. Yeah, success! After about 3 hours I finally
    > had a base installation with the proper video driver working with my LCD
    > monitor. Now I spend another 3 hours tweaking the installation like
    > enlarging the fonts so I can see them, changing the terminal profile so
    > I can see it and changing the computer name, etc. Then I can start
    > configuring Samba and NFS.
    >
    > I couldn't have done it without Chris's advice. Thanks again. And
    > hopefully anyone passing this way again might learn from my travails.

    No problem. The only thing I do differently is download the nvidia
    installer from their ftp site, and run that directly, rather than
    letting yast download it. I also let nvidia-xconfig setup xorg.conf,
    as it seems to write a much cleaner config than sax2 or any of the
    other tools I've seen. Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.

+ Reply to Thread