Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players - Suse

This is a discussion on Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players - Suse ; I am using OpenSuse 11.0 and I am not able to play a mms stream from a radio broadcast over the internet. It plays without any problems from Windows on the same machine, or from any other machine connected to ...

  1. Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    I am using OpenSuse 11.0 and I am not able to play a mms stream from a
    radio broadcast over the internet. It plays without any problems from
    Windows on the same machine, or from any other machine connected to the
    same network. If I use mplayer, I get an error saying "HTTP/1.1 503
    Service Unavailable".I have tried using xmms, vlc and others, and all
    of them seem to have some problem. It is very frustrating that I can
    play this using Windows but not on Linux. I have been trying to find out
    what the problem is using Google but so far I had no luck. Is there
    anyone here able to help? I will appreciate it.

    Thanks,

    George

  2. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    George wrote:
    > I am using OpenSuse 11.0 and I am not able to play a mms stream from a
    > radio broadcast over the internet. It plays without any problems from
    > Windows on the same machine, or from any other machine connected to the
    > same network. If I use mplayer, I get an error saying "HTTP/1.1 503
    > Service Unavailable".I have tried using xmms, vlc and others, and all
    > of them seem to have some problem. It is very frustrating that I can
    > play this using Windows but not on Linux. I have been trying to find out
    > what the problem is using Google but so far I had no luck. Is there
    > anyone here able to help? I will appreciate it.

    Is it a naughty stream? Any reason for not posting it here?

  3. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    Chris Cox escribiˇ:
    > George wrote:
    >> I am using OpenSuse 11.0 and I am not able to play a mms stream from a
    >> radio broadcast over the internet. It plays without any problems from
    >> Windows on the same machine, or from any other machine connected to the
    >> same network. If I use mplayer, I get an error saying "HTTP/1.1 503
    >> Service Unavailable".I have tried using xmms, vlc and others, and all
    >> of them seem to have some problem. It is very frustrating that I can
    >> play this using Windows but not on Linux. I have been trying to find out
    >> what the problem is using Google but so far I had no luck. Is there
    >> anyone here able to help? I will appreciate it.

    > Is it a naughty stream? Any reason for not posting it here?

    The string is mms://streammitre.uigc.net/mitrevivo. It's a commercial
    radio station. Nothing naugthy!

  4. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    On 2008-11-04 08:53, George wrote:
    > Chris Cox escribiˇ:
    >> George wrote:
    >>> I am using OpenSuse 11.0 and I am not able to play a mms stream from a
    >>> radio broadcast over the internet. It plays without any problems from
    >>> Windows on the same machine, or from any other machine connected to the
    >>> same network. If I use mplayer, I get an error saying "HTTP/1.1 503
    >>> Service Unavailable".I have tried using xmms, vlc and others, and all
    >>> of them seem to have some problem. It is very frustrating that I can
    >>> play this using Windows but not on Linux. I have been trying to find out
    >>> what the problem is using Google but so far I had no luck. Is there
    >>> anyone here able to help? I will appreciate it.

    >> Is it a naughty stream? Any reason for not posting it here?

    > The string is mms://streammitre.uigc.net/mitrevivo. It's a commercial
    > radio station. Nothing naugthy!

    Send them an email, and ask if there is a mistake or their policy to
    restrict the contents to windows players only.

    If they refuse to change it, and only share their media to users under their
    control, you have to choose if you will obey to them or just go somewhereelse.
    (while you still can)

    Maybe they use some activeX control or something other that you really not like.

    /Birre

  5. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    George wrote:

    > Chris Cox escribi├│:
    >> George wrote:
    >>> I am using OpenSuse 11.0 and I am not able to play a mms stream from a
    >>> radio broadcast over the internet. It plays without any problems from
    >>> Windows on the same machine, or from any other machine connected to the
    >>> same network. If I use mplayer, I get an error saying "HTTP/1.1 503
    >>> Service Unavailable".I have tried using xmms, vlc and others, and all
    >>> of them seem to have some problem. It is very frustrating that I can
    >>> play this using Windows but not on Linux. I have been trying to find out
    >>> what the problem is using Google but so far I had no luck. Is there
    >>> anyone here able to help? I will appreciate it.

    >> Is it a naughty stream? Any reason for not posting it here?

    > The string is mms://streammitre.uigc.net/mitrevivo. It's a commercial
    > radio station. Nothing naugthy!

    Just spent some time checking this out for you... Apparently the streams
    are all outdated or just plain not available.

    Yes, this is a Windows Media (asp) radio station. So I did a few things.
    The radio station is mentioned here:

    http://www.trumix.com/stations/1137

    So I ended up clicking on the 'Visit Website' link on that page in 'INTERNET
    EXPLORER' (ie4l) and got to there

    web site which is this:

    http://www.radiomitre.com.ar/Index.asp

    Clicked on the picture with the microphone and got to the next page where at
    the top right I clicked on the link here:

    -Micro Serrat-Sabina (Primera Parte)

    Saved the link at the prompt (to my home directory)

    Clicked on the link and opened it with my Linux RealPlayer...

    It works.

    So yes this is a windows centric radio station but with some fiddling it can
    be accessed...

    You'll need ie4l to get to the web site where the links are. Get that here:

    http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

    Follow the instructions to install it. Then go to the above link to start
    your listening. (http://www.radiomitre.com.ar/Index.asp)

    P.S. I don't speak Spanish but I've been listening to some of the stream at
    the link 'Micro Serrat-Sabina (Primera Parte)' and apparently it works.

    Next, I'd also suggest that you do as someone else mentioned and advise the
    station that you'd like them to offer there service for 'the rest of us' !!

    Good luck

  6. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    --------------------------------------------snip-------------------------------------
    > the link 'Micro Serrat-Sabina (Primera Parte)' and apparently it works.
    >
    > Next, I'd also suggest that you do as someone else mentioned and advise
    > the station that you'd like them to offer there service for 'the rest of
    > us' !!
    >
    > Good luck

    And then I did more investigating.. Amazing what you can learn from Google.

    When you click on the link to the Radio Stations on the web page in Internet
    Explorer you will see a list of radio feeds at the right. You can sroll
    up/down to view them all. Click on the link and Internet Explorer will ask
    if you want to open or download. Download the link to your desktop. Now
    is the tricky part. As all these radio links have a .ram suffix you have
    to rename them to have a .rm extension....!! Now the link appears as a
    Real Media file and you can open them up in either real player or better
    yet Helix Player...

    So there you have it. I'm now listening to Spanish language radio from
    Argentina...

    What a trip ;-)

    P.S. You're welcome

  7. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    On Nov 4, 10:43*pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > > George wrote:

    > >> Chris Cox escribiˇ:

    > --------------------------------------------snip-------------------------------------
    >
    > > the link 'Micro Serrat-Sabina (Primera Parte)' *and apparently it works.

    > > Next, I'd also suggest that you do as someone else mentioned and advise
    > > the station that you'd like them to offer there service for 'the rest of
    > > us' !!

    > > Good luck

    > And then I did more investigating.. *Amazing what you can learn from Google.
    >
    > When you click on the link to the Radio Stations on the web page in Internet
    > Explorer you will see a list of radio feeds at the right. *You can sroll
    > up/down to view them all. *Click on the link and Internet Explorer willask
    > if you want to open or download. *Download the link to your desktop. *Now
    > is the tricky part. *As all these radio links have a .ram suffix you have
    > to rename them to have a .rm extension....!! *Now the link appears as a
    > Real Media file and you can open them up in either real player or better
    > yet Helix Player...
    >
    > So there you have it. *I'm now listening to Spanish language radio from
    > Argentina...
    >
    > What a trip * ;-)
    >
    > P.S. *You're welcome

    I have a similar problem but I wonder if it is really just a windoze
    thing! Whenever I try to play live streams they try to open with
    "totem" but always unsuccessfully. Instead I get large red "X"! When I
    right-click on the window and choose "About" it says:

    totem-plugin-viewer 2.22.0
    browser plugin using GStreamer 0.10.21

    I don't get given any other options to try and open the content with!
    I wish to disassociate live streams with totem and associate them with
    Real player but at the moment I have failed to figure out how to do
    that! MPlayer has so far not been able to play anything successfully
    on my laptop (running openSUSE 11.0) although I suspect - from the
    message I get when I try to run play content from classicfm.co.uk -
    that it should be better placed to handle all this! classicfm has not
    been able to play on my laptop, with the same problem!

    Any suggestions will be appreciated!

  8. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    On 2008-11-05, kiwanuka wrote:
    > On Nov 4, 10:43┬*pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >>
    >> --------------------------------------------snip-------------------------------------

    > I have a similar problem but I wonder if it is really just a windoze
    > thing! Whenever I try to play live streams they try to open with
    > "totem" but always unsuccessfully. Instead I get large red "X"! When I
    > right-click on the window and choose "About" it says:
    >
    > totem-plugin-viewer 2.22.0
    > browser plugin using GStreamer 0.10.21
    >
    > I don't get given any other options to try and open the content with!
    > I wish to disassociate live streams with totem and associate them with
    > Real player but at the moment I have failed to figure out how to do
    > that! MPlayer has so far not been able to play anything successfully
    > on my laptop (running openSUSE 11.0) although I suspect - from the
    > message I get when I try to run play content from classicfm.co.uk -
    > that it should be better placed to handle all this! classicfm has not
    > been able to play on my laptop, with the same problem!
    >
    > Any suggestions will be appreciated!

    I think that the mplayer plugin doesn't work well? Haven't had problems
    when I used the "full version" to play the video streams on the web.
    The use of the default mplayer plugin may now work but don't
    really know; found that the default Realplayer plugin now works whereas
    the one listed as realplayer-kde no longer worked!

    For the radio/audio streams, I use alsaplayer which plays the streams
    listed on shoutcast. There are exceptions as some stations now want
    people to use their own broadcasted player/stream.

  9. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    I have solved this problem now, which was in the server, I got in
    contact with them and it was fixed. It works fine now.

    Many thanks to all that tried to help.

    George

  10. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    On Nov 5, 5:00*pm, just me wrote:
    > On 2008-11-05, kiwanuka wrote:
    >

    > > On Nov 4, 10:43*pm, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > >> --------------------------------------------snip-------------------------------------

    > > I have a similar problem but I wonder if it is really just a windoze
    > > thing! Whenever I try to play live streams they try to open with
    > > "totem" but always unsuccessfully. Instead I get large red "X"! When I
    > > right-click on the window and choose "About" it says:

    > > totem-plugin-viewer 2.22.0
    > > browser plugin using GStreamer 0.10.21

    > > I don't get given any other options to try and open the content with!
    > > I wish to disassociate live streams with totem and associate them with
    > > Real player but at the moment I have failed to figure out how to do
    > > that! MPlayer has so far not been able to play anything successfully
    > > on my laptop (running openSUSE 11.0) although I suspect - from the
    > > message I get when I try to run play content from classicfm.co.uk -
    > > that it should be better placed to handle all this! classicfm has not
    > > been able to play on my laptop, with the same problem!

    > > Any suggestions will be appreciated!

    > I think that the mplayer plugin doesn't work well? *Haven't had problems
    > when I used the "full version" to play the video streams on the web.
    > The use of the default mplayer plugin may now work but don't
    > really know; found that the default Realplayer plugin now works whereas
    > the one listed as realplayer-kde no longer worked!
    >
    > For the radio/audio streams, I use alsaplayer which plays the streams
    > listed on shoutcast. *There are exceptions as some stations now want
    > people to use their own broadcasted player/stream.

    That is useful info. I have updated mplayer and found, during the
    process, that I had version 0.1..., this has been updated to version
    4.4.... I have uninstalled kmplayer. I have also updated Real player
    and now I can player some streams I couldn't play yesterday, e.g bbc
    weather. However, I still cannot listen to classicfm.co.uk because it
    will not let me chose a player other than totem. I have now
    uninstalled totem, but instead of allowing me to choose another
    player, the listen live link on this site now opens the Banshee media
    player window, which does not play anything either!

  11. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    On 2008-11-07, kiwanuka wrote:
    > On Nov 5, 5:00┬*pm, just me wrote:
    >> On 2008-11-05, kiwanuka wrote:
    >>
    >> ...............skip ..............

    >> I think that the mplayer plugin doesn't work well? ┬*Haven't had problems
    >> when I used the "full version" to play the video streams on the web.
    >> The use of the default mplayer plugin may now work but don't
    >> really know; found that the default Realplayer plugin now works whereas
    >> the one listed as realplayer-kde no longer worked!
    >>
    >> For the radio/audio streams, I use alsaplayer which plays the streams
    >> listed on shoutcast. ┬*There are exceptions as some stations now want
    >> people to use their own broadcasted player/stream.

    > That is useful info. I have updated mplayer and found, during the
    > process, that I had version 0.1..., this has been updated to version
    > 4.4.... I have uninstalled kmplayer. I have also updated Real player
    > and now I can player some streams I couldn't play yesterday, e.g bbc
    > weather. However, I still cannot listen to classicfm.co.uk because it
    > will not let me chose a player other than totem. I have now
    > uninstalled totem, but instead of allowing me to choose another
    > player, the listen live link on this site now opens the Banshee media
    > player window, which does not play anything either!

    I tried calssicfm.co.uk & get errors also; micro$hit oriented vbscript.
    Did try to use vlc but don't have the 'latest' version; will update
    & try again as quite curious.

    Selecting "listen again" give more "info" on what is happening & it
    points to the usage of mplayer as a compatible media player; doesn't
    work but the beta ver may work though; the beta ver should be released
    "soon".

    Took a look at the error-console in FF3 & see a bunch of errors
    related to "microsoft-takeover" styles............

  12. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    just me wrote:

    > On 2008-11-07, kiwanuka wrote:
    >> On Nov 5, 5:00┬*pm, just me wrote:
    >>> On 2008-11-05, kiwanuka wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ...............skip ..............

    >>> I think that the mplayer plugin doesn't work well? ┬*Haven't had problems
    >>> when I used the "full version" to play the video streams on the web.

    -------------------------------snip-----------------------------------------

    So here is another Windows centric web site...

    E-mail them and request accessability for Linux users. That's how they
    become aware of 'other' listners...

  13. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    George wrote:
    > Chris Cox escribiˇ:
    >> George wrote:
    >>> I am using OpenSuse 11.0 and I am not able to play a mms stream from a
    >>> radio broadcast over the internet. It plays without any problems from
    >>> Windows on the same machine, or from any other machine connected to the
    >>> same network. If I use mplayer, I get an error saying "HTTP/1.1 503
    >>> Service Unavailable".I have tried using xmms, vlc and others, and all
    >>> of them seem to have some problem. It is very frustrating that I can
    >>> play this using Windows but not on Linux. I have been trying to find out
    >>> what the problem is using Google but so far I had no luck. Is there
    >>> anyone here able to help? I will appreciate it.

    >> Is it a naughty stream? Any reason for not posting it here?

    > The string is mms://streammitre.uigc.net/mitrevivo. It's a commercial
    > radio station. Nothing naugthy!

    i tried it and was astonished to hear music..
    i do not know how or why i can, and you cannot...just wanted to encourage you to
    not give up, because on my SUSE 10.3 setup according to
    http://www.softwareinreview.com/linu...suse_10.3.html
    it "just works"....yes, i got the pop-up asking to launch Totem, and i clicked
    Launch, and waited TOO LONG, and thought mine was broken too...but, then music
    came..

    good luck (wait longer, maybe)

    --
    see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
    DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE 3.5.7, SUSE Linux

  14. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 04:29:38 -0800, kiwanuka wrote:

    > However, I still cannot listen to classicfm.co.uk because it
    > will not let me chose a player other than totem

    When I access the site and choose to listen live, I get a message saying
    that as I'm using linux I need a windows compatible player such as
    mplayer, and if it is installed click here to listen.
    I do so and it plays.
    using openSUSE 11.0 kde 3.5 MPlayer-1.0rc2-4.pm.1 and firefox 3.0.3

  15. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 08:45:34 +0000, graham wrote:

    > On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 04:29:38 -0800, kiwanuka wrote:
    >
    >> However, I still cannot listen to classicfm.co.uk because it
    >> will not let me chose a player other than totem

    > When I access the site and choose to listen live, I get a message saying
    > that as I'm using linux I need a windows compatible player such as
    > mplayer, and if it is installed click here to listen. I do so and it
    > plays.
    > using openSUSE 11.0 kde 3.5 MPlayer-1.0rc2-4.pm.1 and firefox 3.0.3

    I should have quoted mplayerplug-in-3.50-0.pm.2

  16. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    graham wrote:
    >> When I access the site and choose to listen live, I get a message saying
    >> that as I'm using linux I need a windows compatible player such as
    >> mplayer, and if it is installed click here to listen. I do so and it
    >> plays.
    >> using openSUSE 11.0 kde 3.5 MPlayer-1.0rc2-4.pm.1 and firefox 3.0.3

    > I should have quoted mplayerplug-in-3.50-0.pm.2

    The page you get send to that pops up is
    http://mediaweb.musicradio.com/playe...lt.asp?s=2&e=0
    It then even points to the site for mplayer and the link points to
    http://mediaweb.musicradio.com/Playlist.asx?StreamID=2

    If I copy and paste that last URL into Firefox, I get to hear the music
    with the mplayer plug in.

    Things I do when I install openSUSE on somebody elses machine.
    1) Add Packman as repo from the Community Repositories
    2) Seach and select to install the following
    MPlayer
    MPlayer-plugin
    Codecs32

    I also do the Amarok installation from Packman, as that includes the
    MySQL links and such.

    houghi
    --

    for I in `find /usr/src/linux/ -name *.c`; \
    do A=`grep -i -A 1 -B 1 **** $I`;if [ "$A" != "" ]; \
    then printf "$I \n$A \n\n"; fi ;done|less

  17. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    On Nov 8, 8:55*am, graham wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 08:45:34 +0000, graham wrote:
    > > On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 04:29:38 -0800, kiwanuka wrote:

    > >> *However, I still cannot listen to classicfm.co.uk because it
    > >> will not let me chose a player other than totem

    > > When I access the site and choose to listen live, I get a message saying
    > > that as I'm using linux I need a windows compatible player such as
    > > mplayer, and if it is installed click here to listen. I do so and it
    > > plays.
    > > using openSUSE 11.0 kde 3.5 MPlayer-1.0rc2-4.pm.1 and firefox 3.0.3

    > I should have quoted mplayerplug-in-3.50-0.pm.2

    You are a genius! Thanks! The problem was the lack of the plugin. I
    installed the plugin and updated both mplayer and mplayerplugin;
    revisited the site and did as you've just described and... MUSIC!!!

  18. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    DenverD escribiˇ:
    > George wrote:
    >> Chris Cox escribiˇ:
    >>> Is it a naughty stream? Any reason for not posting it here?

    >> The string is mms://streammitre.uigc.net/mitrevivo. It's a commercial
    >> radio station. Nothing naugthy!

    > i tried it and was astonished to hear music..
    > i do not know how or why i can, and you cannot...just wanted to encourage you to
    > not give up, because on my SUSE 10.3 setup according to
    > http://www.softwareinreview.com/linu...suse_10.3.html
    > it "just works"....yes, i got the pop-up asking to launch Totem, and i clicked
    > Launch, and waited TOO LONG, and thought mine was broken too...but, then music
    > came..
    >
    > good luck (wait longer, maybe)

    See my previous posting and you will understand why you can and I
    couldn't at the time of my first posting

  19. Re: Problem playing mms stream using mplayer or other players

    On 2008-11-08, graham wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 08:45:34 +0000, graham wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 04:29:38 -0800, kiwanuka wrote:
    >>
    >>> However, I still cannot listen to classicfm.co.uk because it
    >>> will not let me chose a player other than totem

    >> When I access the site and choose to listen live, I get a message saying
    >> that as I'm using linux I need a windows compatible player such as
    >> mplayer, and if it is installed click here to listen. I do so and it
    >> plays.
    >> using openSUSE 11.0 kde 3.5 MPlayer-1.0rc2-4.pm.1 and firefox 3.0.3

    > I should have quoted mplayerplug-in-3.50-0.pm.2

    Looks like I need to update the plugin also; the err msg with vlc
    said that the file was a wma2 which wasn't supported.

+ Reply to Thread